The Position There is an additional 3.35% Management Differential which is added to the posted salary for this class.This is a continuous filing exam with. The next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:2/6/23, 4/3/23, 6/5/23, 8/7/23, 10/2/23, 12/4/23
Effective June 18, 2023, a 4% COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment)
will be added to the salary for this class.
Supervising Registered Nurse - Detention/Correctional Facility is the first level supervisory class in this series. Incumbents work under general administrative supervision of a higher level Health Program Manager or Facility Manager and receive medical direction as needed from a physician or higher level professional nurse such as a Nurse Practitioner or the designated head of detention facility nursing.
The focus of duties is on supervising, planning, organizing and reviewing the operations, programs, personnel of a medical care unit staffed by Registered Nurses, Licenses Vocational Nurses and other support staff.
Positions are typically assigned to a detention facility medical services unit.
Examples of Knowledge and Abilities Knowledge Of
- Basic principles and practices of supervision and personnel management
- Professional registered nursing principles, procedures and techniques
- State of California laws and regulations on nursing practices
- Normal course of illnesses and disabilities and their treatment
- Family planning methods
- Pre-natal, pregnancy and post-natal medical care, infant and child care, growth and development, including common illnesses
- Substance abuse symptoms and medical intervention techniques
- Mental illness symptoms and intervention techniques
- Symptoms, prevention, reporting requirements and treatment of child and adult abuse and neglect
- Techniques of planning and conducting classes and training sessions on a variety of health subjects
- Individual and group counseling techniques
- Common public and community health care resources
- Social and economic factors influencing individual and community health
- Differing cultural, religious and social attitudes about hygiene, family planning, child care and health treatment
- Proper handling and administering of biologicals
- Detection and treatment of common communicable diseases, environmentally based illnesses, sexually transmitted diseases and food and water-borne illnesses
- Standard medical record keeping
- Common drugs and medications used for birth control, communicable diseases, immunizations, allergies, cardio-vascular conditions and substance overdoses, including their contra-indications and normal and abnormal results
- Supervise and train employees
- Effectively recommend employee selections, promotions, status changes and other personnel actions
- Plan, organize and control work of staff
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for work unit in accordance with department goals, policies and procedures
- Learn, comply with, and ensure staff compliance with laws, rules, regulations, protocols and procedures, including security requirements, applicable to the work unit
- Effectively communicate with and gain the cooperation of patients of various social, cultural, economic and educational background
- Work cooperatively with other health and social service providers and staff of other work units and departments
- Effectively plan, conduct and participate in in-service education and training programs
- Maintain patient confidentiality
Employment Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
Possession of a current, valid Registered Nurse license issued by the State of California.Note
: Failure to maintain such license may be cause for disciplinary action in accordance with Civil Service Commission Rules.AndEither
: One (1) year of experience in Sacramento County service as a Registered Nurse or any class requiring registered nurse license.Or
: Two (2) years of experience as a registered nurse.Note:
The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the job announcement states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational, certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirement (copy of diploma, transcripts, license, or certificate) with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.Document Required with Application
: All applicants MUST record their RN license type, number, and expiration date in the space provided in the Experience and Training section of the application.Special Requirements
- Person appointed to this class:
- May be required to regularly or periodically work evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Will be subject to a confidential criminal history check and fingerprinting.
- Will be required to have, or obtain and maintain a valid CPR certificate.
- May be required to have or obtain a valid hearing testing certificate, emergency first aid certificate and/or other specialty training appropriate to registered nurses and necessary in their job assignment.
: Some positions in these classes may require the ability to communicate fluently in language other than English in addition to English.
Application and Testing Information APPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay Service
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate or Credentials Screening Panel exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONSClick
here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
- Call (916) 874-5627 and you will be provided with a recorded message, accessible 24 hours a day.
As an employee of the County of Sacramento, there will be a variety of benefits available to you. These benefits currently include: health, dental and life insurance; flexible spending account options for dependent care and unreimbursed dental and/or medical cost; and an employee assistance program (EAP).GENERAL BENEFITS:
Most employee benefits are similar to the following for all County employees. However, some benefits differ, depending on the employee representation unit to which the employee's job classification is assigned. Information about the exact benefits applicable to a particular job classification may be obtained from the Sacramento County Department of Benefits or by visiting www.saccountyjobs.net.TEMPORARY POSITIONS:
Most benefits do not apply to temporary positions. The explanations of benefits applies to employees in regular positions.SALARY STEP INCREASES:
The beginning salary and the top of the salary range are usually shown on the job announcement. Upon satisfactory service, salary increases of approximately 5% are given annually until the top of the salary range has been attained.PAY:
All employees are paid bi-weekly via direct deposit into the employee's bank account. The pay period covers fourteen (14) calendar days, starting on a Sunday and ending on the second Saturday thereafter. Salaries are generally paid on the Friday following the end of the pay period. Employees can set up their direct deposit and access their pay information via Employee Self Service in MySacCounty.VACATION:
Generally, vacation with pay begins at 10 days annually. With increase over a period of years, the maximum annual vacation with pay is 25 days.HOLIDAYS:
14.5 holidays per year as recognized.SICK LEAVE:
Equivalent to 15 days annually, unlimited accumulation. Upon retirement, unused sick leave is converted to retirement service credit.PARENTAL LEAVE:
Entitles a regular County employee, with at least one year of continuous employment, to schedule a paid parental leave of up to 160 hours upon the birth or during the process of an adoption of a minor child. Parental leave shall be approved by the employee's appointing authority, except where the granting of the parental leave request would unduly interfere with or cause severe hardship upon department operations.TUITION REIMBURSEMENT:
Dependent upon union agreements, regular County employees may be eligible to receive Tuition Reimbursement. The costs for course tuition/registration fees and required books/supplies are eligible for reimbursement. Tuition reimbursement amounts may vary depending upon union agreement.RETIREMENT:
Social Security and Sacramento County Employees' Retirement System coverage.HEALTH INSURANCE:
The County offers a variety of health plan design options to fit individual needs.DENTAL INSURANCE:
The County provides a comprehensive dental benefit program for regular full-time and part-time employees and their eligible dependents. This plan pays on a set fee schedule that varies by procedure. Any amount over the fee schedule is the employee's responsibility. The yearly maximum is $2,000 per person, not including orthodontia. The orthodontic benefit is 50% of covered charges with a lifetime maximum of $1,000 per person.LIFE INSURANCE:
The County of Sacramento provides a basic life insurance benefit of $15,000 to all eligible employees at no cost. Additional coverage may be purchased through payroll deduction.DEFERRED COMPENSATION:
The County offers a Deferred Compensation Program which enables employees to save in a systematic way without paying income tax on either the payroll deduction or the earned interest, prior to withdrawal.EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM:
The County of Sacramento provides an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for employees and their eligible dependents. The EAP offers confidential, professional counseling services in areas such as:
WELLNESS INCENTIVE PROGRAM:
- Legal Advice/Difficult Decisions
- Marriage or Family Relationships
- Financial or Credit Worries/Elder Care
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse
The County will recognize and award time off to eligible employees who maintain an excellent attendance record.FLEXIBLE SPENDING ACCOUNT:
The County offers regular employees two separate Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA's). These accounts allow employees to set money aside, on a pre-tax basis via payroll deduction, to pay for medical, dental or dependent care expenses.
- DEPENDENT CARE REIMBURSEMENT ACCOUNT:
Employees may set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for qualified childcare or dependent care expenses that are necessary for the employee and/or spouse to continue working.
- MEDICAL REIMBURSEMENT ACCOUNT:
The Medical Reimbursement Account allows pre-tax dollars to be set aside to pay for out-of-pocket expenses that are not paid by insurance or reimbursed by any other benefit plan.
In case of injury while on the job, each employee is protected under the Workers' Compensation laws of California.SACRAMENTO CREDIT UNION:
The credit union offers loan facilities and systematic saving plans through payroll deduction.SELECTION AND PLACEMENT
Sacramento County encourages applications from all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, gender, disability, political affiliation, or age.
Certain age limits may be required by law, ordinance, or Civil Service direction for specific classifications such as those identified with hazardous occupations.FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES ONLY:
Every effort is made to provide reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants such as in the selection of test sites, aides, or other equipment which permits the disabled applicants to compete in the examination process. Applicants with disabilities requesting an applicable ADA testing accommodation must complete a Reasonable Accommodation Request Form filled out and signed by the applicant and their doctor. This form must be submitted to the Disability Compliance Office, 700 H Street, Room 5720, Sacramento, CA 95814, by the cut-off date or final filing date as listed in this job announcement. Download the Reasonable Accommodation Request Form by clicking here or contact by mail or in person the Sacramento County Employment Services Division or Disability Compliance Office.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Please read carefully the "Minimum Qualifications" section of your announcement. You must meet those qualifications by the application deadline date unless otherwise specified. Your application must clearly show you meet the minimum qualifications by the application deadline date, or it will not be accepted. All statements are subject to verification.
"Experience" means full-time paid experience unless the announcement states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.PROMOTIONAL EXAMINATIONS:
If the announcement indicates the examination is given on a promotional basis, candidates must hold permanent status in Sacramento County Civil Service by the application deadline date and must meet the minimum qualifications.OPEN EXAMINATIONS:
Any person who meets the minimum qualifications may apply.CONTINUOUS FILING EXAMINATIONS:
Applicants are eligible to reapply to and retake a continuous filing exam after 6 months from the date the previous exam results was received.ELIGIBLE LISTS:
Names of qualified persons who made a passing score on an examination are entered, in order of their final grades, on an eligible list. To fill each vacancy, the hiring department will make a selection from among the top three ranks on the employment lists.EXAMINATION RATINGS:
Unless otherwise stated on the announcement: To be successful, candidates must obtain a rating of at least 70% on each part of the examination. This may be an adjusted score or an arithmetic 70% of the total possible score as determined by the Director.APPEAL PROCESS:
Persons who believe their applications have been improperly rejected may request the Employment Services Division to review its decision to reject the application. If the applicant desires to submit additional proof of qualifications, such proof must be received by Personnel Services not less than two (2) calendar days prior to the scheduled date for the examination.
Persons who are disqualified in any phase of the examination may appeal such adverse action, in writing, to the Civil Service Commission, 700 H Street, Room 2640, Sacramento, CA 95814, telephone: (916) 874-5586 . Such appeals must be filed within thirty (30) calendar days after notice of the adverse action was mailed to the candidate.FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE VISIT OUR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs):
https://personnel.saccounty.net/Pages/EmploymentServicesFAQs.aspx OTHER INFORMATION VETERAN'S PREFERENCE:
Military veterans who have served during wartime shall be given preference in initial appointment to County service. Such preference shall apply, provided the veteran has first achieved a minimum passing score in the examination. The passing score of a veteran shall be annotated to indicate the veteran's score shall be regarded as 5 points or higher, OR 10 points higher for disabled veterans, only for the purpose of determining the three ranks along with which the veteran's name shall be certified. No score shall actually be changed and no new rank shall be created as a result of application of veteran's preference for certification purposes.
"Disabled Veteran" means any veteran who has served during wartime and, who, as of the final filing date for an examination is declared by the United States Veterans Administration or military service department to be 10% or more disabled as a result of his/her military service. Persons claiming eligibility for disabled veteran's preference must submit to the employment office, on or before the application deadline date, a certification from the United States Veterans Administration or a military service department, dated within 1 year, which certifies the present existence of a service related disability of 10% or more, or other acceptable proof of such disability as a result of his/her military service.
Persons claiming eligibility for veterans preference must submit a copy of Form DD 214 or other acceptable proof of veteran's status on or before the final filing date for the examination. For purpose of this rule "reserve" status does not constitute active duty.CITIZENSHIP OR AUTHORIZED ALIEN REQUIREMENT:
As required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act, all County employees must be United States citizens or aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Proof of citizenship or authorized status will be required prior to appointment.CONFLICT OF INTEREST CODE:
Some County Civil Service positions are covered by financial disclosure requirements intended to identify potential conflicts of interest.CONCURRENT EMPLOYMENT:
No employee may concurrently occupy more than one County position.SPECIAL SKILL QUALIFICATIONS (WHEN SPECIFIED ON THE APPLICATION):
Persons who have special skills required by some (but not all) positions in a class may be certified ahead of others provided that:
Such special skills are based on the duties and requirements of the positions and are in conformance with merit system and equal opportunity principles, and
The certification of eligibles who possess special skills have been approved by the Civil Service Commission.PRE-EMPLOYMENT MEDICAL EXAMINATION & DRUG TESTING:
The County of Sacramento is committed to maintaining a drug and alcohol free workplace. All persons selected for appointment to positions must pass a medical examination and a drug test, administered by the County at no cost to the applicant.DRIVER LICENSE:
Possession of a valid California Driver License may be required for some positions.PROBATIONARY PERIOD:
Regular positions are subject to a probationary period which is an extension of the selection process. Unless otherwise indicated on the announcement, the probationary period is six (6) months.AGENCY SHOP/FAIR SHARE FEE:
Some positions require, as a condition of continued employment, that the person either:
1. Become a union member;
2. Pay a fair share fee to the union; or,
3. Meet specific requirements under which an equivalent amount must be paid to a charity.FINGERPRINTING AND CRIMINAL RECORD CHECKS:
Fingerprinting and criminal record checks are required for some positions.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous