Summary WHY WORK FOR WACO:
- Meaningful and challenging work
- Make a difference and improve communities
- Competitive Salary and Benefits
- Full Range of Benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Mandatory TMRS Retirement Plan with a 2:1 City Match
- Education Assistance Program
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance
- Longevity Pay
- And More!
- Chance to do work you are passionate about
- Job Security
- Desire to give back
Depends on Qualifications Position Overview:
Under general supervision, develops, designs, reviews, and executes engineering projects. Responsible for signing and sealing calculations, designs, and reports completed under their direct supervision.
Knowledge and Skills: Knowledge:
- Manages civil projects (public works, public utilities, traffic, stormwater, and development) through all phases from initial project assignment to completion according to project schedules, budgets, state and federal regulations and City standards.
- Serves as Design Engineer for in-house design.
- Serves as Project Engineer for consultant-designed projects and construction projects.
- Reviews civil improvement plans for subdivisions, commercial and residential development projects.
- Prepares plans, specifications, estimates, special provisions, and funding documents.
- Conducts various meetings including pre-bid, bid openings, and pre-construction.
- Reviews engineering designs for in-house, consultant and developer plans.
- Develops notices, exhibits, and presentations for public meetings.
- Receives and reviews cut sheets; proposed changes for projects; and submittals for design engineers.
- Reviews and issues permits for construction within the right-of-way.
- Review projects for floodplain impacts and issue Floodplain Development Permits
- Maintains project files, documents, and records; prepares reports on program activities and performance.
- Performs other duties assigned in support of Watershed Protection.
- Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work- related issues and City information; performs other duties as required or assigned.
- May be required to respond after hours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City-wide emergency.
- City organization, operations, policies and procedures.
- Fundamentals of civil engineering, mathematics and physics.
- Principles and practices of public works design, construction, and maintenance.
- Principles and practices of public utilities design, construction, and maintenance.
- Principles and practices of government project management
- Principles and practices of floodplain management
- Federal and state codes and regulations governing public works, utilities, development, and traffic.
- Analyzing issues, evaluating alternatives, and making logical recommendations based on findings.
- Using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
- Interpreting and applying engineering standards and procedures, Federal and state regulations, and policies and procedures
- Analyzing and evaluating technical engineering data and construction documentation.
- Developing and checking designs, details, estimates, plans, and specifications of engineering projects.
- Preparing, reviewing, and presenting reports and presentations.
- Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects, and demands.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with City employees, officials, and representatives from other local, state, and federal agencies.
- Strong oral and written technical communication skills.
- Proficiency with software including AutoCAD, Civil 3D, ArcGIS and Microsoft Office a plus.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering from an ABET-accredited university.
- Three years' work experience in engineering or project management; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer by the Texas Board of Professional Engineers is required within 12 months of hire.
- Must possess a valid Texas Driver's License.
- Certified Floodplain Manager