Summary WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our community was named "The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist. OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace. However, we also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four employee-inspired values - Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (RISE). We are also supported by servant-based leaders who foster and support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our exceptional work environment as a high performance organization. SUMMARY OF POSITION
The IT Business Analyst reports to the Application Supervisor of Information Technology and partners with various internal stakeholders to gather requirements necessary to help drive positive change. This position is responsible for the translation of business requirements into technical requirements to be delivered, developed, and maintaining business requirement documents (BRD) throughout the process. This position will serve as a bridge between the technical teams, business stakeholders, and vendors, with a primary goal of providing value to the business, improving the quality of IT services, and process improvement.
Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
In order for us to continue to achieve our primary function of making McKinney a better place to live, work, and raise a family, we hold these expectations for all employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Learn and demonstrate an understanding of how team, department, and City goals are interconnected.
- Contribute to a positive work culture.
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to assess his/her work performance or the work performance of the team.
- Contribute to the development of others and/or the working unit or overall organization.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team, to demonstrate team skills, and to perform a fair share of team responsibilities.
- Ability to continuously learn and develop through a mix of internal and external training opportunities, and if applicable, encourage subordinates to do the same.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintains an extensive knowledge of the Information Technology application system's functionality while simultaneously maintaining a broad understanding of the services offered by various city-wide applications and how the two may correlate. This knowledge will be utilized as the foundation for renewed and consistently clear communication and interaction between internal departments and external customers.
- Acts as the single point of contact and liaison between the Information Technology Department and the customer Department regarding the organization, prioritization, and implementation of IT services modification requests, upgrades, and testing.
- Continuously builds on a strong working knowledge of Division processes to provide innovative and proactive guidance to staff regarding the integration and utilization of various software applications in coordination with the IT Department.
- Initiates research and locates data sources within applications which may be analyzed and interpreted to help realize improved operational efficiencies and communicating findings back to leadership.
- Coordinates and creates ad-hoc reports.
- Proactively pursues feedback from customers, identifies improvements, and implements enhancements to improve the customer experience and their interaction with Department applications.
- Creates application upgrades and testing plans with defect tracking for the Department, and coordinates system maintenance and upgrade activities with customers.
- Performs verification tests on systems related to new applications, upgrades, and updates into the test system to ensure continued functionality.
- Assists in the evaluation and selection of new software application integrations.
- Produces consistent, error-free work based on defined parameters.
- Complies with all written City policies and procedures.
- Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in City and department attendance policies and procedures.
- Travels to meetings, trainings and City events as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
- Ability to embrace and embody the City's core values of Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (R.I.S.E.).
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, subordinates, and people to whom service is provided.
- Ability to produce desired work outcomes, including quality, quantity, and timeliness.
- Ability to plan and organize work, time, and resources, and if applicable, that of subordinates.
- Ability to forge strong professional relationships with internal staff and external customers, in an outgoing and friendly way.
- Ability to maintain a holistic view of the overall system when working towards a specific solution.
- Skill in analyzing business processes and policies and creating recommendations for improvement.
- Ability to quickly gain job knowledge and technical competency through collaborative training and supportive coaching from management and peers.
- Possess excellent technical and analytical skills including experience with statistical analysis.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative work environment.
- Offer helpful, organized, and supportive communication to employees, managers, and other members of the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing regarding job knowledge and expertise.
- Capable of maintaining a steady and consistent pace, promoting accuracy and quality throughout repetitive tasks.
- Possess an intermediate knowledge of SQL and Business Intelligence (BI) data mapping with the ability to create reports using Microsoft Report Builder.
- Exhibits flexibility and adaptability, especially during times of change.
Required Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor's in Business Administration, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems or related scientific/technical discipline is required; supplemented by three (3) years of additional relevant work experience as a Business Analyst. Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications may be an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must pass a drug screen and background check.
- Must have Class C Texas Driver's License
Physical Demands/Supplemental PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station. Some tasks require visual and sound perception and discrimination and oral communications ability. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
The City of McKinney is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) committed to an alcohol / drug free workplace and to providing equal opportunities regardless of age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
The City offers a full complement of benefits:Health Insurance
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account (HSA), Flexible Spending Medical and Childcare Account (FSA)
- Mental Health Care and Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- City-paid and VoluntaryLifeInsurance
- City-paid and VoluntaryLong Term Disability Insurance
- Supplemental Insurance through Aflac
- Legal Services through Legal Shield
- Tuition Reimbursement (up to $10,000 per year)
- Wellness Program (earn up to $600 per year)
- Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS)
- Mandatory 7% employee contribution
- City match 2:1
- 5 year vesting
- Retire after 20 years of service, or age 60 with 5 years of service
457(b) Deferred Compensation PlansPaid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Vacation (80 hours per year for new hires; tieredincreases after 2 yrs)
- Sick Leave (135 hours per year for yourself and immediate family)
- Paid Parental Leave (80 hours for birth, adoption, or placement of a child in foser care)
- Ten Paid Holidays
- Personal Day
- Optional compensatory time for hourly employees
- Compensatory time for salaried employees
For more detailed information, please see the City of McKinney's summary of benefits .
Closing Date/Time: Continuous