***THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED, AND MAY CLOSE AT ANY TIME. FOR THE NEXT CONSIDERATION, APPLICATIONS ARE SCREENED ON A REGULAR BASIS***
Under direct supervision of Recreation Staff, Building Attendant / Recreation Attendants will provide: facility-related services for the City of Milpitas Sports Center, Community Center and Senior Center during business hours, or non-business hours in conjunction with recreation programs, classes, and special events; scheduling and supervising the use of facilities at various sites throughout the City; and related work as required. The individual must be able to represent the City of Milpitas Recreation Services in a professional manner and follow the City's and Recreation Services' polices and regulations.
Examples of Duties
(May include, but are not limited to the following):
- Confirms rentals / reservations and checks facility use schedules.
- Provides appropriate room setup and take down for classes, meetings, parties and special events.
- Ensure rooms are free of safety hazards
- Performs light cleaning and public restroom upkeep, removes trash, moves furniture and equipment and picks up supplies for programs, classes and meetings.
- Performs light corrective and preventive maintenance duties and reports maintenance issues requiring specialized staff.
- Monitors facility user groups by enforcing rules and regulation and securing and/or reporting damage or unsafe conditions.
- Serves as primary contact for evening and weekend events, responding to customer questions and ensuring policies and procedures are followed.
- Helps maintain the swimming pools, pool deck and pump room areas.
- Performs daily / weekly maintenance tasks of the fitness center, dance studios and swimming pools.
Typical QualificationsKnowledge of:
The candidate would have knowledge of:
- Principles and practices for providing customer services. Safe work practices when working housekeeping chemicals and housekeeping assignments.
- Basic office procedures.
- Ability to operate a computer and various programs.
- Learn to follow directions, manuals and diagrams.
- Perform basic math.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Follow safety and health regulations.
- Learn the operation of the assigned policies and procedures of the Recreation Department.
- Establish, maintain and promote positive and effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the public.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate initiative and exercise good judgment in the performance of duties.
- Work independently and as a team member; recognize and set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Observe safety principles and work in a safe manner.
- Ability to communicate tactfully with members of the public when performing housekeeping duties.
- Ability to work safely with cleaning chemicals and cleaning tools in a fully occupied building.
- Advanced customer service principles and practices.
- Basic report preparation.
- Basic personnel practices.
- Independently determine maximum room occupancy when setting up seating for public meetings, recreation activities or classroom instructions.
- Independently arrange furniture or equipment in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g. pictures, drawings, diagrams).
First Aid / CPR / AED Certification (or ability to obtain with in 60 days of hire).Minimum Qualifications
- Minimum age at time of hire is 18 years old.
- Graduation from High School or tested equivalent.
- Must have one year experience performing facility-related and customer service.
- Previous experience directing the work of others.
- Previous experience performing housekeeping services in a public building.
This recruitment is open until filled, and may close at any time. Applications are screened on a regular basis, and qualified candidates will be contacted with information on next steps.Position RequirementsThe City of Milpitas is requiring proof of vaccination status or weekly testing of un-vaccinated individuals. If you have a disability or religious objection to receiving the vaccine and require accommodation, you will be given the opportunity to request an accommodation. After September 15, 2021, COVID vaccination will be required as a condition of employment.
Prolonged sitting; standing; walking on level, uneven and slippery surfaces; reaching; twisting; turning; kneeling; bending; squatting and stooping in performance of daily activities. The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movements and fine coordination using a computer keyboard and certain tools. The position also requires near and far vision when performing tasks such as inspections and repair work, in reading written work related documents and using a computer. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal customer service. The need to lift, drag, carry and push equipment, tools and supplies up to 100 pounds is also required. Some of these requirements may be accommodated for otherwise qualified individuals requiring and requesting such accommodations.
City of Milpitas Temporary/ Seasonal Employee* Benefits at a GlanceRetirement Benefits
Federal law requires that employees who are not members of the City retirement plan (CalPERS) be covered under an alternate retirement plan (PARS).
6% of your salary will be deducted for participation in the PARS plan. The City will also contribute 1.5% of your earnings to your PARS account every pay period.Paid Time Off
In accordance with State Law, after 90 days, Temporary/Seasonal employees receive 24 hours to use for sick leave.Work and Life
Temporary/Seasonal employees are eligible for membership at the Milpitas Sports Center.
Temporary/Seasonal employees are eligible for membership in Commonwealth Credit Union, which offers a broad range of financial and investment services.
Temporary/Seasonal employees may qualify for Transportation Reduction Incentive Program (TRIP) cash incentive or transit subsidies based on their commute method.Health Insurance
(Not available to most Temporary/Seasonal Employees)
Temporary employees in a non-clerical position hired in the Planning, Engineering and Building Divisions may qualify for participation in CalPERS health, Delta Dental and Vision. (per Res. 7062) o Multiple plans available through CalPERS Health; plans with Kaiser rate or lower are paid by the City.
Delta Dental: City paid
Vision: City paid
*Temporary/Seasonal employees are limited to work no more than 1000 hours per Fiscal Year.