Position/Program Information FIRE DEPARTMENTOPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY
EXAM NUMBER : 32551H FILING PERIOD:
04/04/2022 8:00 A.M. (PT) - CONTINUOUSThis reposting is to remove the COVID-19 language.This examination will remain open until the needs of the Department are met and is subject to close without prior notice. DEFINITION:
Under direction, supports complex operating systems and associated software and hardware on midrange servers or mainframes hosting critical applications in a high-availability environment. These environments require formal change management and problem resolution procedures, highly fault tolerant configurations, and comprehensive back-up and recovery solutions. CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
This is the senior-level class in the Operating Systems series. Incumbents in this classification typically report to an information technology supervisor or manager. Incumbents perform the more difficult assignments of configuring, analyzing, and maintaining complex systems, including configuring, planning, coordinating and implementing releases, upgrades, or changes to operating systems, servers, and related software. They work under general guidelines and apply extensive technical expertise in the execution of their duties. These positions require the application of specialized knowledge of one or more of the following: database management software, communications software, compilers, storage management solutions, network monitoring and management solutions, messaging systems, security, performance analysis and tuning, and capacity planning.
Essential Job Functions
- Installs, configures, maintains, and upgrades operating systems.
- Analyzes system utilization and performance data and makes configuration changes to achieve agreed upon service levels.
- Identifies and resolves system anomalies and operational problems.
- Allocates and organizes data storage.
- Configures system interfaces.
- Establishes connectivity to and configures peripherals.
- Develops and maintains system documentation.
- Installs, configures, and maintains server or mainframe-based communications services, database management software, compilers, storage management solutions, network monitoring and management solutions, security systems.
- Conducts performance analysis, tuning, and capacity planning.
- Evaluates, tests, and implements vendor-provided patches and upgrades in accordance with change management procedures.
- Develops system utility programs and procedures to enhance operations and support for applications.
- Develops and publishes procedures for operations staff and for problem resolution.
- Implements and maintains back-up and restore solutions; performs back-up and restore operations.
- Implements and maintains disaster recovery solutions.
- Participates in the evaluation and selection of system tools, utilities, and solutions.
- Maintains system security as described in policies and procedures.
- Customizes operating system code and generates the operating system.
- Creates and maintains the more complex job control language and/or custom scripts.
- Works with application development and support staff to analyze hardware and operating system requirements and participates in the development of specifications.
- Works with vendors to develop and implement solutions to specific problems or to meet specific objectives.
- Determines compatibility and performance impact of application and system changes.
- Maintains an understanding of evolving industry trends and technologies.
- Installs, services, and moves servers, networking devices, storage devices, and related equipment as needed.
- Uses network monitoring and management software to monitor system availability and performance and initiates corrective action as needed.
- Leads and coordinates project team to implement systems software components and hardware upgrades and deployments as needed.
- Provide direction to lower level Operating Systems Analysts as needed.
Requirements MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Option 1:
Graduation from an accredited* college or university with a bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a closely related field, and two (2) years of full-time experience within the last five (5) years in a centralized Information Technology organization** configuring, analyzing, and maintaining complex systems, including configuring, planning, coordinating and implementing releases, upgrades, or changes to operating systems, servers and related software, one year of which must be in a midrange or mainframe environment with formal change management, problem resolution procedures, and back-up and recovery plans.Option 2:
One (1) year of full-time experience within the last five (5) years at the level of an Operating Systems Analyst***.Option 3:
Three (3) years of full-time experience within the last five (5) years configuring, analyzing, and maintaining complex systems, including configuring, planning, coordinating and implementing releases, upgrades, or changes to operating systems, servers and related software, two years of which must be in a midrange or mainframe environment with formal change management, problem resolution procedures, and back-up and recovery plans.LICENSE:
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*Accreditation: Accredited institutions are those listed in the publications of regional, national or international accrediting agencies which are accepted by the Department of Human Resources. Publications such as American Universities and Colleges and International Handbook of Universities
are acceptable references. Also acceptable, if appropriate, are degrees that have been evaluated and deemed to be equivalent to degrees from United States accredited institutions by an academic credential evaluation agency recognized by The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc.
** Centralized IT organization is defined in the County of Los Angeles as that which is responsible, under the direction or guidance of the chief Information Technology official (or, at the Sheriff's Department, the coordinated executive command structure) for the department or major organizational unit, for providing comprehensive IT services including analysis, design, acquisition, and/or development, implementation, maintenance, or support of information systems; and in which the work performed is in direct relationships to the IT requirements and initiatives of the department or major organizational unit.
***Experience at the level of Los Angeles County class of Operating Systems Analyst: Under supervision, supports complex operating systems and associated software and hardware on midrange servers or mainframes hosting critical applications in a high-availability environment. These environments require formal change management and problem resolution procedures, highly fault tolerant configurations, and comprehensive back-up and recovery solutions.
Applicants claiming out-of-class experience to meet the requirements should describe their out-of-class duties in detail in the Work Experience sections of their application. Applicants are also encouraged to submit any supporting documentation such as out of class/additional responsibility bonuses, verification of experience documents, and performance evaluations in order to assist staff’s review of applicants' qualifications. PHYSICAL CLASS:2 - Light:
P hysical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10-pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT :
This examination will consist of TWO (2)
parts: Part I:
M ultiple choice and/or simulation assessment(s), weighted 40%
Candidates may be invited to participate in both Part I and II. However, only those that achieve a passing score of 70% or higher in Part I, will have Part II scored.Part II:
- Deductive Reasoning
- Professional Potential
- Maintaining Good Working Relationships
- Analyzing Information
- Learning Quickly
- Generating New Ideas
- Using Time Efficiently
- Working to High Quality Standards
- Adapting to Change
- Coping with Uncertainty
- Willingness to Learn
M ultiple choice and/or simulation assessment(s), weighted 60%
MULTIPLE CHOICE AND/OR SIMULATION ASSESSMENTS ARE NOT REVIEWABLE BY CANDIDATES PER CIVIL SERVICE RULE 7.19. APPLICANTS MUST MEET THE REQUIREMENTS AND ACHIEVE A PASSING SCORE OF 70% OR HIGHER ON EACH PART OF THE EXAMINATION IN ORDER TO BE PLACED ON THE ELIGIBLE REGISTER.
- Server Administration: Design, Build, and Deploy; Disaster Recovery; Hardware; Management Process; Network; Security; Troubleshooting and Optimization; and Users and Resources.
- Systems Analysis: Fundamental Systems Analysis Skills; Implementation and Support; Systems Analysis Tasks; Systems Design Tasks; and Technical Methods for Specifying Requirements.
- Cloud Computing Concepts: Administration; Architecture; Design; Migration; Protocols; Security; Services; and Troubleshooting.
Note: All notifications including invitation letters will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that you provide a valid email address. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , and email@example.com to your email address and list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as spam/junk/clutter mail.
Los Angeles County will not consider claims of not viewing or receiving notification to be a valid reason for late test administration or rescheduling of a test component. TRANSFER OF TEST COMPONENTS :
TEST PREPARATION :
- Applicants who have taken identical components recently for other exams may have their scores automatically transferred to this examination.
- This examination contains test components that may be used in the future for new examinations and your test scores may be transferred.
Study guides and other test preparation resources are available to help candidates prepare for employment tests. While the guides will help you preparing for the test, we advise you to review all related materials that you deem necessary.
HOW TO APPLY :
- An interactive, Online Test Preparation System for taking practice tests may be accessed on the Department of Human Resources website at http://hr.lacounty.gov/ . Please click on "Find A Job" and then "Job Search Toolkit." Test preparation information is located under the "Employment Test Assistance" section.
- Additional online practice tests are available at https://www.shldirect.com/en-us/practice-tests / .
Applications must be submitted online only. Applications submitted by U.S. Mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted.
Plan to submit your online application well in advance of the deadline as you may be required to verify your email address. This only needs to be done once per email address, and if you already have a job seeker account on governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty , you can verify at any time by logging in and following the prompts. This is to enhance the security of your online application and to ensure you do not enter an incorrect email address .
Please make sure you put in the time and effort when filling out your application and supplemental questions completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the Minimum Requirements as listed on this bulletin. Provide any relevant job experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.
Please note that all information included in the application materials is subject to verification at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment
. Utilizing verbiage from Class Specification and minimum requirements serving as your description of duties will not be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an incomplete application and you may be disqualified
. SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE :
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the Minimum Requirements
and you have completely filled out your application. Please fill out your application and the supplemental questionnaire completely and correctly to receive full credit for any related education, training, and job experience. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your actual job title, beginning and ending dates, total number of hours worked (full or part-time), and description of work performed. Provide any relevant job experience and training in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for this job. Your application will be rejected if it is incomplete. We may reject your application at any time during the selection process. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION :
The names of candidates receiving a passing score on the examination will be placed on the eligible register in order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation. BACKGROUND CHECK INFORMATION :
Candidates who are extended a conditional offer of employment will be required to complete a background check, including a review of any criminal convictions, which requires a fingerprint scan. A candidate with a conviction history which has a direct and adverse relationship with the duties of the Senior Operating Systems Analyst position may undergo the process for his/her conditional offer of employment to be rescinded. If rescinded, a candidate's name will be removed from the certification list pursuant to Civil Service Rule 6.04. VACANCY INFORMATION :
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill Senior Operating Systems Analyst vacancies within the Los Angeles County Fire Department as they occur . APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION :
Applications must be filed online only. We must receive your online application by 5:00 p.m. (PT), on the last day of filing. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, fax, or in person will not be accepted. Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button, when it becomes available, at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website. If you are unable to access the website, you may enter the following link to access your profile: http://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty . NOTE :
We must receive all required documents, if any , at the time of filing or within fifteen (15) calendar days of submitting your online application
. Please check your application to ensure that the documents are uploaded by logging on to County of Los Angeles Department of Human Resources website and reviewing your submitted application. Applicants must submit all documents to be considered (official diplomas, official transcripts, certificates, etc.) during application submission. All documents must be clear and legible. Although resumes may be uploaded as attachments to the online application, resumes cannot be accepted in lieu of completing the online application. If you are unable to attach documents, you may e-mail them to Fire-Examination@fire.lacounty.gov or fax the documents to (323) 264-7159 at the time of filing or within fifteen (15) calendar days of submitting your online application .
Failure to provide the documentation will result in application rejection . Please include your Name, the Exam Number, and the Exam Title on the faxed documents. ANTI-RACISM, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION (ARDI)
The County of Los Angeles recognizes and affirms that all people are created equal and are entitled to all rights afforded by the Constitution of the United States. The Department of Human Resources is committed to promoting Anti-racism, Diversity, and Inclusion efforts to address the inequalities and disparities amongst race. We support the ARDI Strategic Plan and its goals by improving equality, diversity, and inclusion in recruitment, selection, and employment practices. IMPORTANT NOTE :
Please note that ALL
information included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION
at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made. FALSIFICATION
of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION
or RESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
from the Class Specification and Minimum Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER :
It is important that you provide your own Social Security Number (SSN) at the time of filing to ensure your application is processed accurately. Please include your SSN for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a SSN. NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD :
If you do not already have an account/profile with the County of Los Angeles, you will need to create one. All applicants must file their application online using their OWN
u ser ID and password. Using someone else's user ID and password will erase the original application record. Testing Accommodation Coordinator Phone:
(213) 466-5500 California Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922 Department Fax:
(323) 264-7159 Department Contact Name:
Fire Examination Section Department Contact Phone:
(213) 466-5500 Department Contact E-mail:
For detailed information, please click here
Closing Date/Time: 1/5/2024 5:00 PM Pacific