Position Description APPLY IMMEDIATELY AS THIS RECRUITMENT MAY CLOSE AT ANY TIME APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE ONLY
The Fresno County Department of Behavioral Health
is currently accepting applications for Psychiatric Technician III
. Psychiatric Technicians perform responsible nursing and therapeutic services in the care and treatment of adults and children with mental health disorders. Applicants may be required to work shifts as assigned, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Fresno County is a richly diverse community, and in order to support and serve ALL persons in our community, the Fresno County Department of Behavioral Health is dedicated to ensuring an inclusive overall system of care through a commitment to equity, diversity, and affirming care. We are dedicated to providing quality, culturally responsive services that promote wellness, recovery, and resilience for individuals and families whom we serve.
It is imperative for us to protect and improve the lives of Fresno County residents served by the Department and our partners in our system of care by acknowledging the long-standing historic and ongoing inequities that black, indigenous and people of color, those living in poverty, LGBTQ+ members and other marginalized and underserved communities have experienced with the behavioral health system.
We place a great deal of importance on having Behavioral Health system of care team members who possess lived experience, are reflective of our community, and have the expertise to ensure our workforce is culturally and linguistically responsive and maximizes our diversity to render quality services in the most responsive, affirming, and caring manner possible for the persons we serve.
The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill both extra-help and permanently allocated positions. Individuals selected for extra-help appointment may be transitioned to a permanently allocated position at a later date as authorized by the Fresno County Personnel Rules.
Positions in these classifications are in Medical Group III - Heavy Physical Activity (Personnel Rule 8). This group includes positions which require heavy physical effort using arms, legs, back and trunk in frequent lifting, pushing, or pulling objects weighing (or offering resistance equivalent to) over 25 pounds. Generally, considerable bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, reaching, as well as standing and walking are involved. Physical stamina is usually required and explosive strength using bursts of energy may be required, depending upon specific position assignments.
Eligible candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Samples of Duties
- Interviews and screens persons seeking mental health services.
- Assists in determining if clients should be admitted (voluntarily or involuntarily) to the Acute Psychiatric Unit.
- Refers clients to mental health programs or to other service agencies providing mental health services.
- Assists law enforcement and emergency service personnel in the field by performing mental health screening in emergency situations.
- Prepares and gives medication intramuscularly and orally under supervision.
- Observes, records, and reports reaction of clients as part of the team approach to client treatment.
- Applies techniques to safeguard life and health of the client and others.
- Assists in admitting clients to department services. Takes and records temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiration. Orients client to the ward or other department services.
- Makes rounds with doctors and assists with treatments as directed.
- Assists nurses with difficult clients when directed.
- Assists and supervises clients in physical care, hygiene, and grooming.
- Is responsible for client participation in group treatment programs, occupational therapy, and recreational programs; may transport some clients to community functions by automobile.
- Helps provide a therapeutic climate for clients by listening to and socializing with them.
- May record doctor's orders.
- May review the work of Psychiatric Technician I/II's and Behavioral Health Workers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Knowledge of :
- Medical and psychiatric terminology;
- Basic pharmacology;
- Physical, emotional and social needs of adults and children with mental health disorders;
- Emergency medical care and triage.
Skills and Abilities to :
- Monitor vital signs and follow doctors orders;
- Observe and document consumer behavior, reactions and progress;
- Work effectively in stressful, emotional, and confrontational situations;
- Assess and react rapidly to emergency situations;
- Accurately follow written and oral directions;
- Maintain strong organizational and time management skills;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all organizational levels as well as with other agencies and the public;
- Display and maintain a high degree of maturity, integrity, loyalty, accountability and good judgment.
Minimum Qualifications Experience : Two years of full-time, paid work experience as a Licensed Psychiatric Technician.
License : Possession of a valid license as a Psychiatric Technician issued by the State of California, Department of Consumer Affairs, Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians.
Possession of a valid Class "C" driver's license, or equivalent.
Note : The incumbent may be involved in therapeutics only as authorized by State law. TO PREVENT THE DISQUALIFICATION OF YOUR APPLICATION, PLEASE NOTE :
- Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and filing requirement for this position by the filing deadline.
- Valid Psychiatric Technician's License issued by the State of California, Department of Consumer Affairs, Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians is required and the license number must be listed on your application. Failure to provide this information will result in the disqualification of your application.
- Valid driver's license number is required and must be listed on your application. Failure to provide this information will result in the disqualification of your application.
- A completed Fresno County employment application is required (must be current, complete, and accurate; amendments will not be allowed after the filing deadline).
- Please fully list your education and/or work experience, including current position. Failure to list current and complete education and work experience within the job application (including employment with the County of Fresno) may result in the disqualification of your application.
- Resumes and attachments are not accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Depending upon the number of applicants meeting the minimum qualifications and filing requirements, applicants may be scheduled for one or more of the processes listed below:
- Online Examination - If required, the examination may be offered in an online format. Please indicate on the supplemental questionnaire if you have the ability to complete an online examination.
- Certify Without Examination - In instances where the number of eligible candidates is less than or equal to the number of qualified applicants the department is entitled to receive under Personnel Rule 4212, the competitive examination process will be waived and the names will be certified without an examination.
Successful candidates will be placed on an employment list, effective for a minimum of 3 months (the employment list established may be extended for an additional 12 months) and certified in final rank order as vacancies occur. REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Fresno County Employment Application (must be current, complete, and accurate; amendments will not be allowed after the filing deadline)
- Supplemental Questionnaire
Applications must be submitted online only via our website by the closing date and time of this recruitment. Applications submitted via U.S. mail, in person in our office, email or fax will not be accepted. Resumes and attachments are not accepted in lieu of an application. HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted online only. An online application can be found at:FresnoCountyJobs.com
Open Job Information Flyer and click "Apply" to begin the online application process. Failure to complete the job application or failure to follow the application instructions will result in the disqualification of the applicant. Amendments will not be accepted after the filing deadline.
Once the filing date has passed, you may check the status of this recruitment at any time by logging on to: https://www.governmentjobs.com/Applications/Index/fresnoca
Please be advised that it is the applicant's responsibility to notify Human Resources of any mailing address and telephone number changes. Notices sent via U.S. mail from Human Resources are not forwarded ("Return Service" is requested, therefore, mail will not be sent to a forwarding address).
For the safety of our employees the County of Fresno complies with all Federal, State and Local Orders related to COVID-19, including Cal OSHA Emergency Temporary Standards.
The County of Fresno is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Fresno County to provide employment opportunity for all qualified persons. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, or denial of medical and family care leave, or any other non-job-related factor.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS - The County of Fresno is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application, examination or selection process may contact Human Resources at (559) 600-1830 at least five days prior to the scheduled date or deadline .EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Analyst: Mitchell Norvise
Closing Date/Time: Continuous