Position Description APPLY IMMEDIATELY AS THIS RECRUITMENT MAY CLOSE AT ANY TIME APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE ONLY
The Department of Behavioral Health
invites applications for the position of Senior Substance Abuse Specialist.
Senior Substance Abuse Specialist responsibilities include assessing client needs; providing substance abuse education; providing individual, group and family counseling for substance use disorders; referring clients to community resources; and case management services. Incumbents act in a lead worker capacity and may act as a first line supervisor.
Fresno County is a richly diverse community, and in order to support and serve ALL persons in our community, the Fresno County Department of Behavioral Health is dedicated to ensuring an inclusive overall system of care through a commitment to equity, diversity, and affirming care. We are dedicated to providing quality, culturally responsive services that promote wellness, recovery, and resilience for individuals and families whom we serve.
It is imperative for us to protect and improve the lives of Fresno County residents served by the Department and our partners in our system of care by acknowledging the long-standing historic and ongoing inequities that black, indigenous and people of color, those living in poverty, LGBTQ+ members and other marginalized and underserved communities have experienced with the behavioral health system.
We place a great deal of importance on having Behavioral Health system of care team members who possess lived experience, are reflective of our community, and have the expertise to ensure our workforce is culturally and linguistically responsive and maximizes our diversity to render quality services in the most responsive, affirming, and caring manner possible for the persons we serve.
Note: The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill both extra-help and permanently allocated positions. Individuals selected for extra-help appointment may be transitioned to a permanently allocated position at a later date as authorized by the Fresno County Personnel Rules.
Positions in this classification are in Medical Group I - Light Physical Activity (Personnel Rule 8). This group includes positions which require only light physical effort and may include lifting of small, light objects and some bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching. Considerable walking or standing may be involved.
Eligible candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Samples of Duties Please click here to review the Samples of Duties.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Please click here to review the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities.
Minimum Qualifications Education
: Completion of sixty (60) semester units of coursework that is acceptable within the United States' accredited college or university system. At least twelve (12) of the required semester units must be in Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counseling, Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, Rehabilitation Counseling, Education Counseling, Marriage and Family Counseling, Criminology, or a closely related field. Experience
: Two (2) years of full-time, paid work experience equivalent to that gained as a Substance Abuse Specialist with the County of Fresno. Substitution
: One (1) year of full-time, paid work experience working with clients as a Substance Abuse Counselor, Rehabilitation Counselor, Marriage and Family Counselor, or closely related field may be substituted for up to one (1) year (thirty (30) semester units) of the required education. Certificate
: Current certificate as an Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) Counselor issued by a certifying agency approved by the State of California. Certification must be maintained, as defined by the Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs, California Code of Regulations, Chapter 8, Title 9, Section 13035. Failure to maintain certification may result in release from employment. (A copy of your AOD Counselor certification is required; Copy may be attached to your application or faxed to (559) 455-4788, Attn: Mitchell Norvise).
Pursuant to Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs, California Code of Regulations, Chapter 8, Title 9, licensed professionals, as defined in Section 13015, are not required to obtain AOD certification if their licensure is in good standing with their licensing board. Licensed professionals may be required to complete additional hours of continuing education. (If applicable, a copy of your professional license is required; Copy may be attached to your application or faxed to (559) 455-4788, Attn: Mitchell Norvise). License
: Possession of a valid Class "C" driver's license, or equivalent, may be required. TO PREVENT THE DISQUALIFICATION OF YOUR APPLICATION, PLEASE NOTE :
- Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications and filing requirements for this position by the filing deadline.
- A completed Fresno County employment application is required (must be current, complete, and accurate; amendments will not be allowed after the filing deadline).
- Resumes and attachments are not accepted in lieu of a completed application.
- Please fully list your education/work experience; including current position. Failure to list current, complete and accurate education/work experience within the job application (including employment with the County of Fresno) will result in the disqualification of your application.
- In the Education section of your application, please provide complete information for each school attended. Please provide the school's name, school's location, the type and number of units earned (semester or quarter). Failure to completely list education within the job application will disqualify the applicant from consideration.
- If you have completed education in a foreign college or university and are using this education to meet the minimum qualifications, you must provide documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received within the United States' accredited college or university system or your application will not be accepted. Documentation must be provided by the closing date and time of this recruitment. You may either attach a copy to your application; fax a copy to (559) 455-4788, Attn: Mitchell Norvise; hand deliver a copy to our office; or email it to HREmploymentServices@fresnocountyca.gov.
- A copy of your AOD Counselor certification, or if applicable, a copy of your professional license, is required. You may either attach a copy to your application; fax a copy to (559) 455-4788, Attn: Mitchell Norvise; hand deliver a copy to our office; or email it to HREmploymentServices@fresnocountyca.gov.
Depending upon the number of applicants meeting the minimum qualifications and filing requirements, applicants may be scheduled for one or more of the processes listed below:
- Written Examination - If required, the written examination will be offered in an online format. Please indicate on the supplemental questionnaire if you have the ability to complete an online examination.
- Oral Examination - If required, the oral examination may be offered in an online format. Please indicate on the supplemental questionnaire if you have the ability to complete an online examination.
Successful candidates will be placed on an employment list, effective for a minimum of 3 months (which may be extended for an additional 12 months) and will be certified in final rank order as vacancies occur. REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIAL
- Fresno County Employment Application (must be current, complete, and accurate; amendments will not be allowed after the filing deadline)
- Supplemental Questionnaire
Please note: All required application materials must be received (online via our website or in our office) by the filing deadline. Emailed and faxed application materials will not be accepted. Postmarks will not be accepted. Resumes and attachments are not accepted in lieu of an application. HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted online only. An online application can be found at: FresnoCountyJobs.com
Open Job Information Flyer and click "Apply" to begin the online application process. Failure to complete the job application or failure to follow the application instructions (such as the formatting of education or work experience) will result in the disqualification of the applicant. Amendments will not be allowed after the filing deadline.
Once the filing deadline has passed, you may check the status of this recruitment at any time by logging on to: https://www.governmentjobs.com/Applications/Index/fresnoca
Please be advised that it is the applicant's responsibility to notify Human Resources of any mailing address and telephone number changes. Notices sent via U.S. Mail from Human Resources are not forwarded ("Return Service" is requested, therefore mail will not be sent to a forwarding address).
For the safety of our employees, the County of Fresno complies with all Federal, State and Local Orders related to COVID-19, including Cal OSHA Emergency Temporary Standards.
The County of Fresno is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Fresno County to provide employment opportunity for all qualified persons. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, or denial of medical and family care leave, or any other non-job-related factor.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS - The County of Fresno is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application, examination or selection process may contact Human Resources at (559) 600-1830 at least five days prior to the scheduled date or deadline . EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Analyst: Mitchell Norvise
Closing Date/Time: Continuous