Position Description Scheduled Salary Increase :3% effective 8/7/23 APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE ONLY
The Fresno County Department of Public Works and Planning
is currently offering an exciting career opportunity for experienced engineering professionals interested in the position of Senior Engineer
The Senior Engineer
is the first-line supervisor in the Engineer classification series. Incumbents handle the more complex engineering functions, and supervise the day-to-day activities of subordinate staff within the Department of Public Works and Planning. Note :
The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill both extra-help and permanently allocated positions. Individuals selected for extra-help appointment may be transitioned to a permanently allocated position at a later date as authorized by the Fresno County Personnel Rules.
Positions in this classification are in Medical Group III - Heavy Physical Activity. This group includes positions which require heavy physical effort using arms, legs, back and trunk in frequent lifting, pushing, or pulling objects weighing (or offering resistance equivalent to) over 25 pounds. Generally, considerable bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, reaching, as well as standing and walking are involved. Physical stamina is usually required and explosive strength using bursts of energy may be required, depending upon specific position assignments.
Eligible candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Samples of Duties Please click here to review the Samples of Duties
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Please click here to review the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Minimum Qualifications Applicants must qualify under one (1) of the options listed below:
OPTION 1 :
Education : Possession of a bachelor's degree in Civil, Mechanical, Structural Engineering, or a closely related field accepted by the State of California, Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors and Geologists as approved engineering curriculum.
Experience : Five (5) years of full-time, paid civil, structural, traffic, or fire prevention engineering experience equivalent to that gained as an Engineer with Fresno County. OPTION 2 :
Registration : Possession of a valid certification as an Engineer-in-Training issued by the State of California, Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists.
Experience : Four (4) years of full-time, paid civil, structural, traffic, or fire prevention engineering experience equivalent to that gained as an Engineer with Fresno County.OPTION 3:
Registration : Possession of a valid license or Certificate of Registration as a Professional Civil, Traffic or Structural Engineer, or Land Surveyor issued by the State of California, Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists.
Experience : Three (3) years of full-time, paid civil, structural, traffic, or fire prevention engineering experience; or land surveying experience. In addition to the options listed above, the following may be required:
License : Possession of a valid Class "C" driver's license, or equivalent, may be required.
Certificate : Incumbents in this classification may be required to obtain a certificate as a Plans Examiner issued by the International Code Council (ICC) within the one (1) year probationary period or be rejected on probation.
Note : Recruitment may be limited to candidates possessing an education, experience, and/or license/certificate related to the specific position vacancy and approved by the Director of Human Resources. TO PREVENT THE DISQUALIFICATION OF YOUR APPLICATION, PLEASE NOTE :
If applicable, a copy of your qualifying license or certificate, issued by the State of California, Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists must be submitted with your application or your application will NOT be accepted.
- Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications for this position by the filing deadline.
- A completed Fresno County employment application is required and must be current, complete, and accurate. Amendments will not be allowed after the filing deadline.
- Resumes and attachments are not accepted in lieu of a completed application.
- Please fully list your work experience, including current position. Failure to list current, complete, and accurate work experience within the job application (including employment with the County of Fresno) will result in the disqualification of your application.
- In the Education section of your application, please provide complete information for each school attended. Please provide the school's name and location, the type and number of units earned (semester or quarter), and which major or program was completed (Engineering, Architecture, etc.). Failure to completely list education within the job application may disqualify the applicant from consideration.
- College/University transcripts may be requested to verify completion of qualifying degree.
- If you have completed education in a foreign college or university and are using this education to meet the minimum qualifications, you must provide documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received within the United States' accredited college or university system or your application will not be accepted. Documentation must be provided by the closing date/time of this recruitment. You may attach a copy to your online application; fax a copy to (559) 455-4788 Attn: Sidney Thompson; or email it to HREmploymentServices@fresnocountyca.gov.
Documentation must be provided by the closing date and time of this recruitment. You may attach a copy to your online application; fax a copy to (559) 455-4788, Attn: Sidney Thompson; or email it to HREmploymentServices@fresnocountyca.gov. SELECTION PROCESS :
Depending upon the number of applicants meeting the minimum qualifications and filing requirements, applicants may be scheduled for one of the processes listed below:
- Certification without Examination - In instances where the number of eligible candidates is less than or equal to the number of qualified applicants the Department is entitled to receive under Personnel Rule 4212, the competitive examination process will be waived and the names will be certified without an examination.
- Oral Examination - An oral examination includes a panel consisting of at least two members within a similar field of expertise as the vacancy. Candidates are asked structured questions and must respond orally to allow the panel to evaluate the specific qualifications of each applicant.
Successful candidates will be placed on an employment list, effective for a minimum of 3 months (may be extended up to an additional 12 months), and certified in final rank order as vacancies occur. REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS :
- Fresno County Employment Application
- A copy of your qualifying license or certificate from the State of California, Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists (if qualifying under Option 2 or 3)
- Supplemental Questionnaire
Please note : All required application materials must be received online via our website by the closing date and time of this recruitment. Applications submitted via U.S. mail, in person, email or fax will not be accepted. Resumes and attachments are not accepted in lieu of a completed application. HOW TO APPLY :
Applications for this recruitment must be submitted online only
. An online application may be found at: FresnoCountyJobs.com
Open the Job Information Flyer and click "Apply" to begin the online application process. Failure to complete the job application or failure to follow the application instructions may result in the disqualification of the applicant. Amendments will not be accepted after the filing deadline.
Once the filing deadline has passed, you may check the status of this recruitment at any time by logging on to: https://www.governmentjobs.com/Applications/Index/fresnoca
Please be advised that it is the applicant's responsibility to notify Human Resources of any mailing address and telephone number changes. Notices sent via U.S. mail from Human Resources are not forwarded ("Return Service" is requested, therefore mail will not be sent to a forwarding address).
For the safety of our employees, the County of Fresno complies with all Federal, State and Local Orders related to COVID-19, including Cal OSHA Emergency Temporary Standards.
The County of Fresno is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of Fresno County to provide employment opportunity for all qualified persons. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, or denial of medical and family care leave, or any other non-job-related factor.REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
- The County of Fresno is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to applicants as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA). Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application, examination or selection process may contact Human Resources at (559) 600-1830 at least five days prior to the scheduled date or deadline. EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Analyst: Sidney Thompson
Closing Date/Time: Continuous