The purpose of this position is to assist in the maintenance of City streets, roads, and stormwater infrastructure. This is accomplished by constructing and repairing streets, sidewalks, and curbs; cleaning ditch lines; operating hand tools; driving dump trucks; raking asphalt and concrete; and maintaining light equipment and vehicles.This is a continuous recruitment and may close at any time.
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Examples of Duties Street and Storm Water Maintenance
Operates and Transports Equipment
- Applies sealant material;
- Rebuilds road shoulders;
- Applies asphalt surfaces;
- Reconditions deteriorating sidewalks, curbs, and repairs utility cuts;
- Controls vegetation growth;
- Removes limbs and other material from creek banks; and
- Reconstructs basin/manholes and storm drain pipe.
- Drives dump trucks as assigned;
- Operates weed eaters, plate tamps, chainsaws, mixers, and other applicable hand and power tools;
- Transports light equipment to and from job sites; and
- Performs preventative maintenance on all assigned equipment.
- Assists other department divisions with inclement weather cleanup and special event activities.
Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High school diploma or GED; and
- At least one year of experience as a construction worker or experience in a related field.
- a variety of construction equipment used.
- policies and procedures to promote a safe and secure work environment.
- materials and methods used in the construction or repair of streets, roads, and storm water infrastructure.
- identifying alternative solutions to problems.
- managing one's own time.
- operating equipment.
- making minor repairs and maintenance to equipment.
- learn the details and procedures involved in performing a variety of manual tasks.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- communicate effectively in oral and written forms.
- identify hazards in assigned work areas.
- work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the outdoor elements.
- work safely without presenting a direct threat to self or others.
- meet mental and physical demands of the job.
- Valid N.C. Driver's License
- Valid N.C. Class A or B Commercial Driver's License (CDL), required within six months of hire.
- This position requires the ability to lift and/or carry 50 pounds frequently and up 100 pounds occasionally.
The City of Greenville offers a comprehensive benefits package to all regular full-time employees including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and short-term disability insurance. Employees in designated part-time positions may participate in some of the benefit programs offered to regular full-time employees.
Visit the City of Greenville Human Resources Website for a more in depth summary of our benefits.