Job Summary Mohave County Public Works Roads Division is currently recruiting for a Road Maintenance Worker Specialist in Colorado City
Advanced journey level work involved in the operation of equipment utilized in the maintenance and repair of county-maintained roads and property. This position is in the Road Maintenance Worker series. Positions at this level are distinguished from other classes within the series by the complexity of duties assigned and the effective operation of equipment with specialized operation of a specific piece of heavy equipment. Incumbents at this level are required to be fully trained in all related procedures and specifically to an assigned piece of equipment.
Positions are normally filled by advancement from the Road Maintenance Worker series with appropriate specific on-the-job training of the operation and utilization of a piece of equipment, or when filled from outside, requires prior general equipment operation experience of medium to heavy equipment and experience specific to the equipment assignment. Appointment to this level requires that the incumbent be performing the full range of duties and meet the qualification standards for the class. REPORTS TO
Work is performed under the general supervision of a higher level of authority. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
May provide technical supervision to Road Maintenance Workers and Road Maintenance Worker Seniors in the absence of Crew leader or Supervisor. May exercise functional supervision of subordinates to include overseeing, assigning and directing the activities of a work crew. Based on work assignment, determines the best course of action.
Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Work is subject to varying job site assignments and may be subject to call back, overtime, and irregular schedules including completion of work assignments on weekends and holidays.
- Performs a variety of road maintenance and repair tasks by performing various manual labor assignments, such as, but not limited to: checking grade of road, mixing cold mix asphalt, shoveling, raking, chip sealing, patching, sweeping, trimming trees, weeding, mowing, removing debris, installing cattle guards, placing of barricades and cones, flagging of traffic and crack sealing.
- Utilizes various hand and power tools and equipment such as: jackhammers, compressors, drills, chain saw, mower, shovel, rake, and weed eater.
- Operates, maintains and services a specific assigned piece of equipment to include remote blade, tractor/ trailer, chip spreader, 4,000-gallon water truck, bituminous distributor, or laydown machine.
- Operates and services equipment in the maintenance and repair of roads and to haul materials and equipment. Utilizes heavy equipment which consists of backhoe, screening plant, scraper, dozer, maintenance blade, tandem axle truck, front end loaders, rollers, and sweepers. Light equipment which consists of single axle truck, tractor/mower, and other related equipment.
- Direct equipment to perform work assignments, such as, but not limited to sweeping road/street, watering road, cleaning and installing culverts, rolling asphalt, loading trucks, hauling heavy equipment and materials.
- Adheres to safety procedures in work areas and in performance of work assignments. Promotes a culture of safety.
- Communicates and acts in a professional manner with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Cleans, maintains and services required equipment and tools used during performance of work assignments.
- Adheres to equipment’s operating requirements established by manufacturer and by department policy and procedures.
- Provides responsible operation of county equipment concurrent with industry practice and license requirements.
- Adheres to performance specifications when issued for routine of job specific work.
- Provides appropriate traffic control when required and in accordance with county standards and the MUTCD.
- Train Road Maintenance Workers and Road Maintenance Worker Seniors in the proper use of construction equipment including start up and shut down procedures.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- High School Diploma/GED (General Education Degree)
- Five (5) years actual operating experience of a specific piece of equipment utilized in the maintenance and repair of roads such as a Road Maintenance Worker or Road Maintenance Worker Senior or related field involving the operation of equipment utilized in the maintenance and repair of roads, streets, and property.
- OR an equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
- Must pass drug screen post offer.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Must possess the ability to obtain a valid Commercial Driver’s License within a six (6) month period from hire date.
- Provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Road maintenance and repair methods and materials such as understanding grade stakes and methods of drainage.
- Operation and servicing of heavy equipment utilized in the performance of work in the construction, maintenance and repair of roads.
- Traffic laws, ordinances and regulations involved in equipment operation such as Arizona’s Blue Stake Law and heavy equipment and tractor/trailer operations.
- Safety hazards, practices and procedures related to road maintenance repair work and the operation of heavy equipment.
- Distribution of appropriate quantities of materials and the methods of distributing the materials used in the maintenance of roads.
- Use and care of equipment, tools, and materials used in road maintenance and repair activities.
- Safe and effective operation and servicing of medium to heavy equipment including, but not limited to: chip spreader, tractor/trailer, remote blade, water truck, bituminous distributor and laydown machine.
- Effectively service, maintain and operate assigned equipment and other related equipment and tools in accordance with standard operating and safety procedures.
- Work independently and determine best course of action to effectively perform work assignments.
- Fulfill physical requirements of work assignments.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with associate personnel and general public.
- Understand and follow, quickly and accurately, oral and written instructions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing with persons of diverse Ethnic, Educational and Economic backgrounds, and personnel contacted in the course of work.
- Drive a manual shift transmission.
- Perform the essential functions of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulations.
Mohave County provides two options for Self Insured Medical Plan, paid by Employee & Employer, to regular employees (employees who work at least 30 hours per week). Both plan options utilize the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona for in Arizona
coverage, plus the Aetna Choice POS II network for out of Arizona
coverage; when you need medical care, select a provider from the directory and verify the provider's current status as a network provider. The medical plans include pharmacy benefits.
Out of Pocket Maximum includes medical Deductible, medical Copays, Prescription Drug Deductible and Copays. TELADOC
- Summary Plan Description
- PLAN 1: Exclusive Provider Organization (EPO) Plan Deductible $1,000 per person deductible. Calendar Year Out of Pocket Maximum per Single Coverage is $6,300 and $12,700 for Family Coverage.
- PLAN 2: High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) $3,000 maximum Out of Pocket for Single Coverage and $6000 maximum Out of Pocket maximum for Family
Teladoc is a healthcare option available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and 365 days per year for non-emergent medical conditions. Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
This voluntary benefit is available to all regular employees working at least 30 hours per week. This pre-tax option will reduce taxable income.
Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Health care reimbursement account: up to $2,850 per year
- Dependent daycare reimbursement account: up to $5,000 per year
This voluntary benefit is available to all qualified employees who are on the High Deductible Health Plan. This pre-tax option will reduce taxable income. You may elect to contribute up to the full 2023 annual limit:
- $3,850 max employee contribution for Single coverage
- $7,750 max employee contribution for Family coverage.
Dental insurance is available to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week through Ameritas
- High Option: $2,000 maximum annual benefit.High Option includes orthodontia benefit with lifetime maximum of $1,500.
- Low Option: $2,000 maximum annual benefit.
Vision insurance is available to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week through Ameritas. Ameritas
offers access to a broad network of independent providers as well as access to out-of-network providers with two plan options available. Plan 1: EyeMed ViewPointe or Plan 2: VSP Focus.Short Term Disability
Coverage is through Ochs, Inc. - Madison National
Short-Term Disability (STD) is insurance that replaces some of your income if an injury or illness prevents you from working. Provided by Mohave County. Life Insurance
Coverage is through Ochs, Inc. - Minnesota Life
Optional / Voluntary Benefits
- Basic Life Insurance / Accidental Death & Dismemberment of $50,000
- Provided by Mohave County to regular employees working at least 30 hours per week
Payroll deductions are available for the following Optional / Voluntary Benefits:
Retirement Systems / Long-Term Disability
- Supplemental Life Insurance is available through Ochs, Inc.- Minnesota Life Insurance Company for employees, spouse and dependent children.
- Tax Deferred Compensation Plan 457: this option is voluntary and available to all employees through ICMA-RC or Nationwide.
- Identity Theft Protection is available through IdentityForce, Sontiq for employees and eligible dependents
Mohave County is a MANDATORY participating agency in these classification-based retirement systems:
- (ASRS) Arizona State Retirement System: Eligible employees working at least 20 hours per week for 20 weeks or more. MANDATORY contribution rate as of 07/01/2023 is 12.29% beginning on your first paycheck and is employer matched.
- (CORP) Correction Officers Retirement Plan: Employees in Adult Detention positions with the Sheriff's Office. Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment. Election rates of contribution are between 5% - 40%; default rate of 7%.
- (AOC-CORP) Administration of Courts - Correction Officers Retirement Plan: Juvenile Detention and Adult Probation (Superior Court). Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment. Election rates of contribution are between 5% - 40%; default rate of 7%.
- (PSPRS) Public Safety Retirement System: Employees in certain positions with the Sheriff's Office. Defined Benefit Tier 3 contribution amount is 9.94%. Contributions begin 90 days after first day of employment.
The following additional benefits are available to all regular employees:
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Payroll direct deposit
- Paid Time Off - vacation/sick time
- Pre-tax deduction plan
- Up to 80% of medical premiums paid by Mohave County
- Bereavement Leave
These materials were created to help you understand the benefits available to you. This is not a Summary Plan Description and is not intended to replace the benefit summaries or schedule of benefits contained within the Plan. If any provision of these materials is inconsistent with the language of the Plan, the language of the Plan will govern .