Job Summary CITY OF KINGMANPART-TIME ADULT BASKETBALL SPORTS OFFICIAL CITY OF KINGMAN RECREATION DEPARTMENT
$21.65 - $26.99/HOURLY
The City of Kingman is located in Mohave County approximately 100 miles southeast of Las Vegas and 195 miles northwest of Phoenix nestled between the beautiful Cerbat and Hualapai mountain ranges along historic Route 66. In 2019, Reader’s Digest named Kingman one of the “Nicest Places in Arizona” for its thoughtful residents and spirit of generosity. In addition to its small-town look and feel, the area also offers a wide range of recreational activities that include hiking, bike and ATV trails, camping, golf, beautiful parks, historical attractions, nearby lakes and the Colorado River.
With more than 400 full and part-time employees across 30 divisions, the City of Kingman provides exceptional public services to over 30,000 residents. Our focus on high-quality customer service, safety and teamwork underpins our efforts to foster an atmosphere where citizens and businesses can thrive.
For more information about the City of Kingman, please see our Open Finance Portal , Choose Kingman Economic Development page and our Go Kingman tourism page for more information.
Responsible for enforcing playing rules and sports policies with participants and spectators. Works directly with the public and is responsible for contributing to a fun and safe environment for friendly competition. DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS:
Part-time, seasonal position officiating adult sport programs. The Sports Official is a broad classification and encompasses various assignments with department flexibility to assign employees to sub-classifications. The formal, reported classification title for employees will be Sports Official; however, employees will be assigned to sub-classification titles within the Sports Official classification depending upon assignment. With the assignment to a sub-classification(s), corresponding placement to pay assignment(s) will be determined based on duties to be performed and the meeting of wage qualifiers.
Referee - Basketball (Adult) Wage Qualifiers : Level 1:
Beginner, still learning rules, basic court mechanics, needs training and/or strong partner.Level 2:
Basic rules knowledge, good mechanics, can handle game control. Can qualify to an employee with a minimum of 2 years experience and based on attendance and performance. High School Certification preferred.Level 3:
Complete rules knowledge, excellent mechanics, ability to train and control game; and/or High School Certified for example, AIA, CIF, etc. Can qualify to an employee with 3 or more years experience and based on attendance and performance.
Department will track sub-classifications and will document on Personnel Action Form. Department will provide appropriate notations in the remarks section of the Personnel Action Form in order to affect appropriate payment of wages for each assigned sub-classification and will also ensure time worked in the sub-classification(s) is appropriately recorded on the employee's timesheet. SUPERVISION RECEIVED:
Works under the direct supervision of the Recreation Coordinator or Recreation Superintendent and general supervision of the Parks & Recreation Director. SUPERVISION EXERCISED:
At times will be responsible for supervision and security of facility and participants of sports programs.
Minimum Qualifications/Special Requirements Education and Experience:
- Minimum of age 16 to work in Youth Program; Minimum of age 18 to work in Adult Programs.
- High School Graduate or receipt of GED preferred.
- Prior officiating experience preferred.
- Prior experience in playing or coaching the sport(s) being officiated.
- First Aid/CPR/AED certification preferred.
Referee & Umpire Certification through an affiliated organization is recommended.
Essential Functions are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills. They are intended to be accurate summaries of what the job classification involves and what is required to perform it.
- Provide quality officiating during adult or youth sports contests.
- Read and understand local rules as well as national rules of the sports or programs that are being officiated.
- Work at scheduled times and in appropriate attire.
- Develop a positive relationship with the participants and educate when necessary.
- Enforces game rules.
- Maintain appropriate level of control, fairness, and consistency in all game situations. Alleviate arguments and unsportsmanlike conduct before it gets out of hand. Maintain safe, fun, yet competitive game atmosphere.
- Resolve participant conflicts and disputes with tact and diplomacy.
- Assures safety and sanitary environment and notifies immediate supervisor of any problems and/or concerns.
- Sets up and cleans up facilities (Volleyball Offical).
- Receives, stores and issues sports equipment and supplies (Volleyball Offical).
- Assist with pre- and post-game logistics and administrative functions. Assist in filling out any forms that are in need of completing.
- Conduct games in an efficient fashion in the allotted time and on the day scheduled.
- Maintain a positive relationship with staff, co-workers, participants, and spectators.
- Provides excellent and proficient customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Communicates and acts in a professional manner with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity.
- May be required to work early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays as needed.
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures; follows safety policies and practices, works in a safe manner, and reports unsafe activity and conditions.
- Performs related duties as required.
Miscellaneous COMMITMENT TO SAFETY AND WELLNESS
It is the policy of the City of Kingman to ensure a safe, healthful workplace for all its employees. It requires that every person in the organization assumes the responsibility of individual and organizational safety. Injury and illness losses from incidents are costly and preventable. The City of Kingman will employ an effective accident and illness prevention program and a comprehensive wellness program that involves all its employees in the effort to eliminate workplace hazards and promote employee health and wellness.
All employees are expected and encouraged to participate in safety and wellness program activities including the following: reporting hazards, unsafe work practices and accidents immediately to their supervisors or a safety committee representative; wearing required personal protective equipment; and participating in and supporting safety committee activities. WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The work environment characteristics attached to the job description are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.DISCLAIMER
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this position. This job description is subject to change as the needs and requirements of the position changes.FIND YOUR REWARDING CAREER WITH US!
Personal Growth Opportunities ~ Meaningful and Challenging Work ~ Public Service
Community Spirit ~ Training and Development
This position is not eligible for benefits except for AZ Sick Leave Accruals earned @ 1hr for every 30 hrs worked.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous