CAREER DESCRIPTION SHERIFF’S PLUMBER
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization. THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This recruitment is being conducted to establish an Open Eligible List to fill vacancies within the Sheriff’s Department, until the next recruitment.
Online applications are being accepted beginning Thursday, June 01, 2023 for a minimum
of five (5) business days. Thereafter, this recruitment will remain open on a continuous
basis until the needs of the Sheriff's Department are met. Apply immediately as this recruitment may close at any time without notice. Click here to view the OC Sheriff's Department website THE OPPORTUNITY
Orange County Sheriff's Department is looking for experienced Plumbers to perform journey-level work installing, maintaining, and repairing plumbing systems, steam piping including controls, safety devices and to do other work as required throughout the Sheriff’s Department facilities. Plumbers are tasked with supporting a 24/7 operation to maintain services at facilities and may also be assigned to work in any of the following locations: Jail Facilities, Forensic and Coroner facilities, remote communication sites, and business offices within Orange County.
Plumbers at the Sheriff's Department are typically tasked with numerous maintenance and repair projects throughout the County; the work could be varied. WORK HOURS OC Sheriff Department
: 4/10 Schedule: Monday - Thursday OR
Tuesday - Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (No weekends or night shift) OTHER JOB DUTIES
• Installs water, gas, steam, sewer lines, fixtures, valves, gas, water heaters and other devices
• Diagnoses plumbing issues and performs repairs on plumbing systems such as drains, stoppages, and leaks
• Performs tests and inspections on backflow preventers
• Cut, thread and solder pipe
• Plans and lays out alterations and new plumbing systems
• Works with heavy duty sewer equipment, such as jetters and sewer cleaning machines DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
In addition to the minimum qualifications; ideal candidates should possess a minimum of 3 years of journey-level plumbing experience in the maintenance and installation of plumbing with 2 years of plumbing experience in commercial and/or industrial facilities. The ideal candidate will also have experience with backflow preventers and commercial jetters. The ideal candidate must possess extensive experience and knowledge in the following core competencies. TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE
- Principles, practices, and methods of the plumbing trades in an industrial and/or commercial environment
- Use of tools and equipment used in the plumbing trades
- Procedures and equipment used to inspect, and test safety devices used on plumbing systems
- Performing journey-level plumbing installation, maintenance and repair work, including operation of large and small jetters and sewer machines
- Building and safety codes
- Braze and solder piping
- Steam traps, condensate, and receivers
- Sewer and water pumps
- Heavy duty sewer equipment such as jetters and vacuum trucks
- Ability to follow applicable building and safety codes
- Safe work practices relating to the use of plumbing tools
- Ability to follow safe work policies and procedures
- Safety precautions required to protect personnel and property from damage
- Maintaining compliance with the National Standard Plumbing Code (NSPC), California Administrative Code, and the American Water Works Association (AWWA) Rules
- Read and work from blueprints, schematics, sketches and piping diagrams.
- Perform preventative maintenance on various equipment
- Follow oral and written instructions
- Effectively communicate and convey ideas to others both orally and in writing
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS OC Sheriff Department
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher
- A Certificated Backflow Prevention Tester License is preferred but is not required
-Candidates must pass an extensive background investigation to the satisfaction of the Sheriff-Coroner. Candidates must NOT have been convicted of a felony or be on any form of probation. PREMIUM PAY
Some positions may be assigned to work schedules that include weekends, evening shifts, or night shifts and may be assigned to work in a correctional facility. Night Shift Differential
- Night shift or evening shift differential is paid in addition to hourly salary as listed. Night shift shall mean an assigned work shift of seven (7) consecutive hours or more which includes at least four (4) hours of work between the hours of 4 p.m. and 8 a.m. Jail Supplemental Pay
- An employee who is regularly assigned to a correctional facility shall be paid an additional amount per hour for hours worked. Backflow Testing Certificate Pay
- Plumbers who maintain License may be eligible for additional Backflow Testing Certification Pay. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Click here to view the full class specification for Plumber. RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Sheriff's Human Resources screens all applications to identify candidates who meet the qualifications and core competencies above. After the initial screening, those who meet the above qualifications will be referred to the next step. Written Exam
(Refer/Non-refer): Candidates will be required to take a timed, proctored multiple-choice examination. Only the highest scoring candidates will be referred to the next assessment. Performance Exam
(Weighted 100%): Candidates will be required to safely perform several plumbing-related tasks in a hands-on assessment in front of a panel of job knowledge experts. This assessment will be used to determine placement on an eligible list. Based on the Department's needs, the recruitment procedure listed above may be modified. Candidates will be notified of any changes in the recruitment procedures. Eligible List
After all procedures have been completed, Sheriff's Human Resources will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies. Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here (Download PDF reader) to review the policy. PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS Physical Requirements
: Manual dexterity to operate hand tools or other equipment utilized in the building trades. Eye-hand coordination. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds. Body mobility to stand for long periods of time, climb ladders, work in confined spaces, work in high temperatures, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl. Environmental Conditions:
Works multiple types of environments including all types of weather conditions. May have occasional contact with potentially harmful chemical or biological agents and occasionally work in room temperatures of 90-100 degrees. Incumbents may be required to work inside a jail facility or Coroner's facility; may work in close proximity to inmates or psychiatric patients and alongside high voltage systems.
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION HOW TO APPLY
Only on-line applications will be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of on-line applications. Application information must be current, succinct and related to the requirements in this job announcement. Your application should demonstrate your professional experience and education related to the specific qualifications/duties listed in this bulletin, including areas which you have developed expertise.
Click here for tips to complete your application. EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Click here for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Eugenia Vasquez-Puentes by phone at (714) 834-5838 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
In addition to the County's standard suite of benefits, such as a variety of health plan options, annual leave and paid holidays--we also offer an excellent array of benefits such as a Health Care Reimbursement Account, 457 Defined Contribution Plan and Annual Education and Professional Reimbursement. Employees are provided a Retirement Plan through the Orange County Employees Retirement System (OCERS).
Please go to the following link to find out more about Defined Benefit Pensions and OCERS Plan Types/Benefits.
Click here for information about benefits offered to County of Orange employees.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous