Position/Program Information FIRST DAY OF FILING:
JUNE 5, 2023 at 8:00 A.M. (PDT)
Until the needs of the services are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.
TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY NO OUT-OF-CLASS EXPERIENCE OR WITHHOLDS ARE ALLOWED FOR THIS EXAMINATION. Correctional Health Services - 20% Recruitment and Retention Bonus
The County of Los Angeles is currently offering up to 20% bonus for full-time Psychiatric Technician III positions hired by Correctional Health Services and working on-site in a designated facility to meet critical healthcare needs for the uniquely underserved jail population. ABOUT LOS ANGELES COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES:
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest municipal health system in the nation. Through its integrated system of 25 health centers, four acute hospitals and expanded network of community partner clinics - DHS annually provides direct care for 600,000 unique patients, employs over 23,000 staff, and has an annual budget of over $6.9 billion. For additional information regarding DHS please visit www.dhs.lacounty.gov
Through academic affiliations with the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Southern California (USC), and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Sciences (CDU), DHS hospitals are training sites for physicians completing their Graduate Medical Education in nearly every medical specialty and subspecialty. In addition to its direct clinical services, DHS also runs the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Agency and the County's 911 emergency response system, as well as Housing for Health and the Office of Diversion and Re-entry, each with a critical role in connecting vulnerable populations, including those released from correctional and institutional settings, to supportive housing.MISSION:
To advance the health of our patients and our communities by providing extraordinary care.DEFINITION:
Provides specialized services to departmental multi-disciplinary teams, other County departments, and community agencies in the delivery of mental health treatment.
Essential Job Functions
- Interviews the client, family members, and friends to obtain information about the client's environment, personality and family relationships, thatmay have bearing on the client's illness andtreatment.
- Makes program services referrals for persons identified as mentally ill.
- Coordinates or conducts the auditing of client records for compliance with documentation guidelines.
- Participates in multidisciplinary team conferences, provides and documents continuing care and information,and collaborates with other mental health staff to develop the most effective treatment plan.
- Within scope-of-practice guidelines, provides direct client care, completes required documentation, updates treatment team regarding client progress, and provides client, family members and significant others with referrals and linkage to community resources.
- Provides consultation to community agencies in the utilization of mental health and supportservices provided by directly operated clinics, in-patient facilities and contractors of the department.
- Provides in-service training to departmental staff and volunteers in the identification and treatment of mentally disordered individuals, principles of crisis intervention and management of assaultive behavior.
- Administers, either orally or by injection, prescribed medications to clients in acute psychiatric settings.
- Participates as a member of a Crisis Response Team in an inpatient psychiatric setting.
- Coordinates the activities of a service teamwith law enforcement, courts, schools and other agencies, to assist and evaluate clients who are deemed to be a danger to themselves or others.
- Coordinates the work of Psychiatric Technicians or others in the delivery of mental health services at an in-patient or out-patient facility.
- Coordinates or develops psychological rehabilitation programs for the chronically and persistently mentally ill.
- Leads and provides technical supervision to lower-level psychiatric technicians and supportstaff assigned to provide mental health services at an inpatient or outpatient facility.
- Prepares and signs the application for immediate 72-hour detention of disturbed psychiatric clients if Lanterman-Petris-Short (LPS) designated by the Office of Medical Director.
Requirements MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
Two years of experience at the level of Psychiatric Technician II in the County of Los Angeles*.DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Additional points will be awarded for experience at the level of Psychiatric Technician II or higher in excess of the Minimum Requirements.
A valid and active license** as a Psychiatric Technician i ssued by the California Department of Consumer Affairs, Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians .
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions. All required licenses and certifications must be active and unrestricted or your application will not be accepted.PHYSICAL CLASS:4 - Arduous
.: Involves frequent heavy lifting over 25 pounds, often combined with bending, twisting, or working on irregular surfaces; and occasionally requires extraordinary physical activity. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*Experience at the level of Psychiatric Technician II in the County of Los Angeles is defined as:
Actively participates with professional staff members in the delivery of mental health services or the delivery of indirect and direct patient care to clients who are mentally ill or emotionally disturbed.
**Applicants must complete the License and Certification section of the application and provide the title of the required license, the number, date of issue, date of expiration and the name of the issuing agency as specified in the Selection Requirements, attach a legible copy of the required license to your application at the time of filing , or email the required document to the exam analyst at firstname.lastname@example.org
within seven (7) calendar days from the date of filing your application online. When emailing documents, please include the exam number and exam title. The original license must be presented during the selection process and prior to appointment.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of an evaluation of experience and desirable qualifications based upon application information, weighted 100% Candidates must meet the minimum requirements and achieve a passing score of 70% or higher in order to be placed on the eligible register.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Applications will be processed on an "as received" basis.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation. NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.SPECIAL INFORMATION:
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES MUST COMPLETE A THOROUGH BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION, INCLUDING FINGERPRINT SEARCH.
Examples of disqualifying factors include: Any felony convictions; job-related misdemeanor convictions; certain serious traffic convictions or patterns of traffic violations (3 moving violations in one year; failure to appear; at fault accidents; suspended license; driving under the influence); substance abuse; anyone on probation. APPOINTEES MUST BE WILLING TO WORK ANY SHIFT AND AT ANY CORRECTIONAL FACILITY, INCLUDING EVENINGS, NIGHTS, WEEKENDS, AND HOLIDAYS.APPOINTEES WILL BE IN DIRECT CONTACT WITH INMATE PATIENTS IN A JAIL ENVIRONMENT PROVIDING SERVICES TO INMATE PATIENTS.
The eligible register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in throughout the Department of Health Services - Correctional Facilities.AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Any APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PDT, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply"
button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
Plan to submit your online application well in advance of the 5:00 p.m. (PDT) deadline on the last day of filing, as you may be required to verify your email address. This only needs to be done once per email address, and if you already have a job seeker account on www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty, you can verify at any time by logging in and following the prompts. This is to enhance the security of your online application and to ensure you do not enter an incorrect email address. All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment
from Class Specification and Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the MINIMUMREQUIREMENTS.
Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time with or without advance notice.
Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail.
Applicants have the ability to opt out of emails from Los Angeles County. If you unsubscribe, you will not receive any email notification for any examination for which you apply with Los Angeles County. Regardless of whether you choose to unsubscribe, you can always check for notifications by logging into governmentjobs.com and viewing your profile inbox, which saves a copy of all emailed notices. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number. COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County. NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA Coordinator Phone:
(323) 914-7111 Teletype Phone:
(800) 899-4099 California Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922 DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Christina Tadeo, Exam Analyst
For detailed information, please click here