Introduction WHY JOIN US AT SOLANO COUNTY? COMMITMENT TO SERVICE:
Our mission is to serve the people and to provide a safe and healthy place to live, learn, work and play.
We serve the public in many different ways, including:
- Providing primary medical, dental, alcohol, drug and mental health services to residents, including the uninsured, low-income, and medically underserved
- Providing law enforcement services in the unincorporated area of the county
- Protecting the community from public health threats such as communicable diseases
- Coordinating countywide responses to domestic violence and terrorism or other emergencies
- Managing the criminal justice process after arrest (jail, prosecution, probation)
- Supporting other local governments through efficient property tax collection as mandated by the State, County and local jurisdictions; and,
- Administration and enforcement of Federal, State, and Local laws and policies pertaining to environmental health, building construction, and land use planning
Our diverse workforce is committed to fulfilling this mission and does so by exemplifying our IDEAL Core Values, engaging in our day to day work of serving the public with Integrity, Dignity, Excellence, Accountability, and Leadership.
To learn more about Solano County, please visit: www.solanocounty.com
As the Senior Staff Analyst, you will perform the most complex analytical professional level staff work in support of departmental operations, programs, and/or services. You will be responsible for providing analytical support to department management relative to diverse programs and complex fiscal matters, and for recommending and implementing solutions to sensitive interdepartmental and intergovernmental matters. The current openings are in the Health & Social Services and Probation Departments.
For this position the ideal candidate will have strong budgeting and accounting knowledge and be able to apply their skills in the development and analysis of fiscal documents in support of their assigned department’s needs. This position requires budgeting experience, preferably in public sector, with an understanding of revenue and expenditure forecasting. Using analytical skills, the incumbent will be required to develop budgets and projections for local, state, and federal revenues and expenditures and other required fiscal documentation. The incumbent will need good writing skills to develop budget narratives, board items, and other fiscal documentation required for grants and contracts that are issued to the county, state, or federal government. The duties assigned to this position require that the incumbent be a self-starter and independent worker that can manage multiple and changing priorities. The incumbent will have the ability to apply their background and knowledge when reviewing work of subordinate staff to provide feedback to develop and support their growth and development. This position will typically supervisor professional and technical staff.
For this position the ideal candidate will have strong budgeting and accounting knowledge and be able to apply their skills in the development and analysis of fiscal documents in support of their assigned department’s needs. This position requires
The eligible list created as a result of this recruitment will be used to fill full-time and part-time regular, limited-term or extra-help positions as vacancies occur throughout the County. POSITION REQUIREMENTS Education:
- Budgeting experience, preferably in public sector, with an understanding of revenue and expenditure forecasting.
- Using analytical skills, the incumbent will be required to develop budgets and projections for local, state, and federal revenues and expenditures and other required fiscal documentation.
- The incumbent will need good writing skills to develop budget narratives, board items, and other fiscal documentation required for grants and contracts that are issued to the county, state, or federal government.
- The duties assigned to this position require that the incumbent be a self-starter and independent worker that can manage multiple and changing priorities.
- The incumbent will have the ability to apply their background and knowledge when reviewing work of subordinate staff to provide feedback to develop and support their growth and development.
- This position will typically supervisor professional and technical staff.
Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university preferably in Business Administration, Public Administration, Accounting, Finance, or a related field or, if in a related field, have completed nine (9) semester, or thirteen and one half (13.5) quarter units in the field of accounting. AND Experience:
Two (2) years of responsible professional work experience equivalent to the functions performed by a Staff Analyst within the particular field of expertise required.
To view the full job description, which includes the typical duties, please visit:
BENEFITS/ WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU?
Solano County offers a cafeteria-style medical package with health benefits, offered through CalPERS. The County contribution for family coverage is $1,671.27 per month for 2022. The County offers a cash back provision for those who choose employee-only or who waive medical insurance coverage. The County may offer a supplemental contribution for employees enrolled in Employee plus Two or More coverage.
Dental and vision insurances for the employee and eligible dependents are paid 100% by the County.
Solano County participates in CalPERS retirement and contributes to Social Security.
The County observes 12 full day fixed and 2 half day fixed paid holidays per year. Additionally, employees in this bargaining unit receive 2 floating paid holidays per year.
Vacation is accrued at approximately 10 days per year for the first 3 years. Sick leave accrues at approximately 12 days per year.
Employees are eligible to receive an additional 2.5% longevity pay, per level, after the completion of continuous service at 10, 20, 25, 30, and 35 years.
T o review complete benefits information, please visit:
Extra-help employees who work less than 29 hours per week do not typically receive or accrue benefits of regular employees during their period of employment. All extra-help employees accrue .034 hours of Sick Leave for every full hour worked.
To view the benefits for this extra-help position, please visit:
http://www.solanocounty.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=21216 CULTURE OF LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT
Solano County is committed to “Invest In and For the Future” by providing training resources to encourage employee professional development and growth within our organization. While employed with Solano County, employees have the opportunity to pursue their career goals, interests, and develop the competencies on the Solano County Leadership Development Model by participating in the following programs:
• Tuition Reimbursement Program
• Annual Education Fair
• County Mentoring Program
• Leadership Academy
• Supervisory Trainings
• Skill Development Trainings
• Self-paced learning opportunities
- Deadline to submit application and required documents for next application review
Based on the information provided in the application documents, the qualified applicants may be invited for further examination and will either be pre-scheduled by the Department of Human Resources or be invited to self-schedule. All applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through any subsequent phase of the examination
. Depending upon the number of applications received, the selection process may consist of an initial application screening, a mandatory information meeting, a supplemental questionnaire assessment, a written and/or practical exam, an oral board exam, or any combination listed. Responses to supplemental questions may be used as screening and testing mechanisms and will be used to assess an applicant’s ability to advance in the process; as such, responses to supplemental questions should be treated as test examination responses. Information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.
All potential new hires and employees considered for promotion to management, confidential positions or unrepresented positions will be subject to a background and reference check after contingent job offer is accepted. These provisions are subject to change.
RETIREES - Solano County invites all qualified candidates to apply for positions; however pursuant to Government Code Section 21221(h) and 21224, hiring restrictions may apply to California Public Sector Pension Plan Retirees.
HOW TO APPLY
Please visit the County of Solano website, www.jobsatsolanocounty.com , to apply. Applications must be submitted through the JobAps system. Paper copies of applications are not accepted. All additional application materials as requested in the job announcement (degree/transcripts, certificates, DD-214 if applicable, ADA Accommodation Request) must be submitted by the final filing date. Be sure to include the recruitment title (Staff Analyst Senior) and the recruitment number (22-105010-03) in your email or fax. Previously submitted application materials (e.g., copies of diploma and/or transcripts, etc.) for prior recruitments will not be applied for this recruitment but must be re-submitted for this recruitment
Any further questions can be directed to the Department of Human Resources at (707) 784-6170, business hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. EOE/AA.
Please note that all dates/times listed in the job announcement are Pacific Time.
DOCUMENT SUBMITTAL REQUIREMENTSA Bachelor’s Degree is required for this position
. All candidates must submit a copy of their college diploma
(verifying the degree, date earned and area of specialization) or official/unofficial transcripts
(verifying the date and degree conferred) by the final filing deadline. Candidates who fail to submit their diploma or transcripts by the final filing date
or prior to appointment.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING: Candidates who attended a college or university that is accredited by a foreign or non-U.S. accrediting agency must have their educational units evaluated by an educational evaluation service. The result must be submitted to the Human Resources Department no later than the close of the recruitment. Please contact the local college or university to learn where this service can be obtained. How to Submit Your Documents
In addition to uploading attachments when applying online, candidates may submit documents by fax to (707) 784-3424, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Be sure to include the recruitment title (Staff Analyst Senior) and the recruitment number (22-105010-01) in your email or fax.
This Supplemental Questionnaire will be used to determine applicants’ qualifications for this position and assess an applicant’s ability to advance in the recruitment process; therefore, applicants are encouraged to answer all questions thoroughly and completely. Omitted information will not be considered or assumed. Applicants who have no experience in a specific area are recommended to state "no experience in this area" instead of leaving the space blank.
Please note that the experience in your answers must be reflected in your employment history.
1. I confirm that I meet the minimum qualifications, which is reflected on my submitted application, as outlined in the job announcement and classification specification (job description) for Staff Analyst (Senior) which includes the following education and experience requirements:
Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university preferably in Business Administration, Public Administration, Accounting, Finance, or a related field or, if in a related field, have completed nine (9) semester, or thirteen and one half (13.5) quarter units in the field of accounting.
Experience: Two (2) years of responsible professional work experience equivalent to the functions performed by a Staff Analyst within the particular field of expertise required.
2. Do you have experience in developing and monitoring the budget for federal, state and local government agencies?
3. If you answered “yes” to question 2, what is the size of the budget?
4. Do you have experience working with internal/external auditors on financial audit such as the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) or the Single Audit ?
5. Do you have experience in fiscal monitoring of subrecipients of Federal grants
6. Do you have experience in the preparation of cost reports/expenditure claims for Federal/State reimbursement?
7. If you answered “yes” to question 6, what is the size of the cost report/expenditure claim?
8. Do you have experience in supervising clerical, technical and/or professional staff?
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Applicants are required to possess a valid California Driver's License, Class C.
- All licenses must be kept current while employed in this class.
- Background Checks: The County may conduct a background check and a reference check on candidates prior to appointment to a position within the class. The background check may include the State of California Department of Justice, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Child Abuse Central Index (CACI), and criminal checks in any City/County where the applicant has lived, worked or gone to school.
- Independent Travel: Incumbents are required to travel independently, for example, to perform work at other work sites, to attend meetings with other County employees, to meet with contractors, to attend meetings with community organizations, etc.
- Hours to Work: Incumbents may be required to work weekends, holidays, irregular hours, on-call, and after normal business hours.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
It is the policy of Solano County that all employment decisions and personnel policies will be applied equally to all County employees and applicants and be based upon the needs of County service, job related merit, and ability to perform the job.
APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES: Qualified individuals with a disability, who are able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, and need an accommodation during any phase of the recruitment/testing/examination process (as detailed in the “Selection Process”), must complete the following Request for Testing Accommodation by Applicants with Disabilities Form: http://www.solanocounty.com/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=23215 .
This form must be received in the Human Resources Department by the final filing date
of the recruitment. Applicants will be contacted to discuss the specifics of the request.
Take a video tour of Solano County:
Solano County is the ideal place to live, learn, work and play... The America's Promise Alliance has named Solano County as one of the 100 Best Communities for Young People for six straight years - the only California community with that distinction.
- Live - Solano County as well as cities within the County have ranked in the top 15 hottest markets across the country and within the Bay Area due to prime location and affordability.
- Learn - Higher education abounds! Within the County, education choices include: Solano Community College, CSU Maritime Academy, Brandman University, and Touro University. Bordering our County is the renowned University of California Davis.
- Work - The blend of agriculture, corporate business and pleasant lifestyle enhance the attraction of Solano County. Blessed with a thriving agricultural economy, the county is also home to biotechnology and other growth industries.
- Play - Situated midway between San Francisco and Sacramento-the State capitol, Solano County is home to rolling hillsides, waterfronts and fertile farmland. County residents can enjoy day trips to the San Francisco Bay area, Lake Tahoe region and the Napa and Sonoma Valleys.
County Population (2019): 447,643
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice. SOLANO COUNTY IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Closing Date/Time: Open Until Filled
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.