The City of North Las Vegas is excited to announce a continuous (ongoing) recruitment for the position of Firefighter Trainee! Candidates will be notified of their status at various times throughout the recruitment process. Please thoroughly review the information and selection process outlined on this announcement. This announcement will be set to expire on June 3, 2024. IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR APPLICATION CONSIDERATION!
- For your application to be considered, you MUST fully complete an online application. - Select “Apply for Job” at the top of this announcement (remember to hit “SUBMIT” at the end of your application) AND:
- Register with National Testing Network (NTN) to schedule your written exam. Note - There is a fee to take the exam and must be paid through NTN. Upon completion of your application, you MUST: Go to National Testing Network, select “Find Jobs”, then select Firefighter and select Nevada. Click on “Update” to sign up for North Las Vegas Fire Department (NLVFD). Complete the NTN registration process and schedule your exam.
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and take an online practice test (if desired). For any questions regarding the online examination, please contact NTN directly at 1-855-821-3761. Candidates that previously took the test in 2023 for NLVFD will still be valid; however, candidates may choose to retake the test for improved scores. NTN scores are valid for one (1) year. If your NTN score has expired, you will have to re-test.
- Upon completion of your scheduled exam, scores are automatically forwarded to The City of North Las Vegas. The City of North Las Vegas will contact candidates on the list, and may invite them to participate in further stages of the selection process, based on the overall scores on the exam. National Testing Network does not replace The City of North Las Vegas’s responsibility and decision-making in the testing process.
- WORKING CONDITIONS - Work in an emergency firefighting environment; work in medical emergency situations, including vehicle accidents and other types of medical and rescue emergencies; work in intense life-threatening conditions; exposure to fire, smoke, bodily fluids, heights and noise. Essential functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for running, walking, crawling, climbing, stooping and heavy lifting while wearing heavy protective equipment; work in inclement weather conditions for prolonged periods of time. Must be able to work any shift or days of the week. Regular and timely attendance is required.
- Pre-Employment Screening - Candidates for this position are subject to pre-employment screenings and employment is contingent upon these results. Pre-employment screenings may include but are not limited to: local, state, and federal criminal history checks, and may require submission of fingerprints; drug screen; and physical examinations to include a pulmonary test and a psychological evaluation performed by our examining physician. While marijuana use in NV is legal, it is not allowed for public safety personnel and cannot be present in pre-hire drug screens as per NRS 450B.071.
The ideal candidate will be a leader in emergency services and will be trained to provide quality fire and life safety services through proactive and innovative training, education, risk assessment, and community involvement. We seek vigilant, brave, and prepared individuals who demonstrate our values and are dedicated to growth and service to our community. THE ROLE
Incumbents will learn to extinguish fires, perform rescue operations, and maintain fire station facilities and equipment. This class is distinguished from the Firefighter in that this entry-level position has not achieved successful completion of the City of North Las Vegas Fire Recruit Academy.
The full job description can be found here: Fire Fighter Trainee - Job Description MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Education and Experience:
Licenses and Certifications:
- Candidates must be a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of application.
- High school diploma or equivalent. College-level course work in fire science, fire administration, or a related field is desirable.
- Any combination of education, training and experience which produces the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the job and related to the essential functions of the position.
- Must possess a valid state driver's license and maintain satisfactory motor vehicle record with the ability to obtain appropriate Nevada state driver’s license within required time frame.
- Must obtain Class C with F endorsement or comparable license from their state of primary residence within two (2) years from the date of hire.
- Must have a valid Southern Nevada Health District or National Registry EMT, EMT-A or Paramedic certification/license at time of conditional job offer.
- Must have successfully completed a Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) by the time of a conditional job offer. The College of Southern Nevada offers options, among many others, for testing.
- Must be able to successfully complete a thorough background check, drug screen, physical examination, and psychological evaluation prior to formal job offer.
Complete online application - Interested candidates MUST submit an application through the City’s application system. Register and test with National Testing Network (Weighted 85%) - Qualifying applicants MUST complete an online exam through National Testing Network. Virtual Interview (Weighted 100%) - Qualifying candidates will then be invited to an oral interview. Chief’s Interview - Top scoring candidates will be invited to a Chief’s interview. Candidate Physical Ability Test (Pass/Fail) - (by the time of a conditional offer) Must possess Southern Nevada Health District or National Registry EMT, EMT-A or Paramedic certification by the time of conditional offer. Selection/Offers Background Check, Psychological Evaluation, Drug Screening and Medical Exam. (Candidates that pass all pre-employment screenings will receive a final offer.) Fire Academy Candidate Communication
Email will be the primary communication method during the entire recruitment process. It is a good idea to check your emails regularly while you are active in the process, checking your spam or trash folders.
All persons who meet the minimum requirements and wish to apply for this position are personally responsible for submitting a completed online application, obtaining passing scores of the required NTN Test. BENEFITS AND PERKS
To view the full benefits description click the link: Benefits and Perks
This class specification may not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbent may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Reasonable accommodations for the specific disability will be made for the incumbent/applicant as possible.
NV PERS Official Policy 11.6 Contact Information
- People Group: Fire Fighters Association
- Grade: FNR-63
- Minimum Salary: 25.55
- Maximum Salary: 25.55
- Pay Basis: HOURLY