Position/Program Information TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job Opportunity EXAM NUMBER:
Y5299K FILING START DATE:
March 5, 2019 at 8:00 a.m. (PST)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. REBULLETIN INFORMATION: THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO UPDATE THE EXAMINATION CONTENT INFORMATION REGARDING NOTIFICATION OF EXAM RESULTS. PERSONS WHO HAVE ALREADY APPLIED NEED NOT REAPPLY, BUT MAY CONTACT THE EXAM ANALYST IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO SUBMIT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.All County workforce members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Successful candidates for this position will be required to submit proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or request an exemption for qualifying medical or religious reasons during the onboarding process. Candidates should not present proof of vaccination until instructed to do so by the hiring department. ABOUT LOS ANGELES COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
The Los Angeles County Department of Health Services (DHS) is the second largest municipal health system in the nation. DHS operates as an integrated health system, operating 25 health centers and 4 acute care hospitals, in addition to providing health care to youth in the juvenile justice system and inmates in the LA County jails. Across the network of DHS' directly operated clinical sites and through partnerships with community-based clinics, DHS cares for about 600,000 unique patients each year, employs over 23,000 employees, and has an annual operating budget of 6.9 billion dollars.
Through academic affiliations with the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Southern California (USC), and the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Sciences (CDU), DHS hospitals are training sites for physicians completing their Graduate Medical Education in nearly every medical specialty and subspecialty. In addition, to its direct clinical services, DHS also runs the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Agency and the County's 911 emergency response system, as well as Housing for Health and the Office of Diversion and Re-entry, each with a critical role in connecting vulnerable populations, including those released from correctional and institutional settings, to supportive housing.MISSION
Our mission is to ensure access to high-quality, patient-centered, cost-effective health care to Los Angeles County residents through direct services at DHS facilities and through collaboration with community and university partners.POSITION INFORMATION:
This position is administratively responsible for leading and managing multiple, complex programs or organizational areas with accountability and responsibility for programmatic planning, directing, implementing and evaluating accomplishment of both short and long term nursing service goals and objectives. In addition the position is responsible for recruiting, staffing, directing and controlling those areas within the scope of responsibilities of the position. MANAGEMENT APPRAISAL OF PERFORMANCE PLAN (MAPP):
This position is subject to the provisions of the Management Appraisal of Performance Plan (MAPP). Initial salary placement and subsequent salary adjustments will be made in accordance with MAPP guidelines and regulations.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans, organizes and leads the components, scope and implementation of nursing operations for achievement of both short and long-term goals for the health care system in collaboration with other disciplines and services.
- Determines the subordinate organizational structure, clinical operations, standards and practices, and makes revisions consistent with changing legal, regulatory requirements, and health care trends.
- Directs the preparation of budgets for assigned areas; integrates with organizational budget and justifies budget and personnel resource requests.
- Establishes strategic priorities and operational guidelines for setting goals and objectives for delegated areas of responsibility.
- Interprets and communicates nursing and organizational philosophy goals, objectives, Departmental policies and procedures, and integrates evidence based standards of nursing practice.
- Evaluates and leads corrective actions regarding operational compliance with licensure, accreditation and regulatory standards.
- Evaluates the performance of subordinates; resolves problems and issues involving grievances or discipline.
- Administers general personnel management matters and actions and may participate in collective bargaining.
- Participates in strategic planning for the organization and leads initiatives for the nursing service area(s).
- Formulates policy, procedure, standards of care and standards of professional performance for the organization and nursing service.
- Serves as chief nursing officer in his/her absence.
- Leads and engages key stakeholders in quality improvement activities and implementation of Department of Health Services and other organizational initiatives.
- Collaborates with other disciplines to champion Patient Safety efforts to assess, prevent and reduce potential patient harm and facility risks.
- Leads efforts to promote patient/family satisfaction with care and services provided.
- Mentors, coaches and develops subordinates.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
1. A Bachelor's degree* in nursing from an accredited institution. -AND-
2. A relevant Master's degree* in nursing or administration (MPA, MBA, MHA, MHS, MPH in Administration) from an accredited institution.-AND-
3. Four years of experience in nursing management at the level of Nurse Manager** or higher in a clinical environment supervising. Up to two years of experience with organization-wide responsibility for setting policy as an Assistant Nursing Director, Administration*** may be substituted for the required management experience. LICENSE REQUIREMENTS: A current active license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
Please ensure the certificates and licenses section of the application is completed. Provide the type of the required license(s), the number(s), the date(s) of issue, the date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for each license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
Applicants claiming experience in a state other than California must provide their Registered Nurse License Number from that state on the application at the time of filing. Applications submitted without the required evidence of licensure will be considered incomplete. Required license(s) and/or certification(s) must be active and unrestricted, or your application will not be accepted. Additionally, in order to receive credit for license(s) and/or certification(s) in relation to any desirable qualifications, the license(s) and/ or certification(s) must be active and unrestricted. PHYSICAL CLASS:
II - Light: Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*In order to receive credit for any college course work, or any type of college degree, such as Bachelor's or Master's degree or higher, you must include a legible copy of the official diploma, official transcripts, or official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization with your application, at the time of filing or within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online
**In the County of Los Angeles, a Nurse Manager administers an assigned nursing program or organizational unit with responsibility for planning, selecting and/or devising the methods and procedures to be used and for directing nursing supervisors and/or other personnel in the accomplishment of designated goals.
***In the County of Los Angeles, an Assistant Nursing Director, Administration, administers an organizational area which has functional impact on the management and/or operations of departments across the nursing or health care operation, such as the development of policy, application of procedures and provisions of services which broadly affect or control the management and operations of all departments and divisions within the nursing or health care operations.Applicants must meet the Selection Requirements at the time of filing. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Recent, within the last five years, acute nursing management experience in an acute hospital.
- Doctorate degree* in Nursing, Public Administration, Business Administration, or Health Administration from an accredited institution.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT
The examination will consist of an evaluation of education and experience based upon application information and Desirable Qualifications weighted 100%Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
Applications will be processed on an "as received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete for this examination more than once every twelve (12) months. AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill a vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
Applications must be filed online only. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking the "APPLY" green button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly
shown that you meet the SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
. Fill out your application and supplemental questionnaire completely to receive full credit for related education and/or experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. Please do not group your experience, for each position held, give the name and address of your employer, your position title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.IMPORTANT NOTES:
- Please note that All information supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION. We may reject your application at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment is made.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION.
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification and/or Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Comments such as "SEE RESUME" or "SEE APPLICATION" will not be considered as a response; in doing so, your application will be REJECTED.
- It is recommended that you provide your work experience using statements that provide the following three elements: ACTION you took, the CONTEXT in which you took that action, and the BENEFIT that was realized from your action. Include specific reference to the impact you made in the positions you have held.
If you are unable to attach documents to your application, you must email the documents to the Exam Analyst, Sylvia Jaimez at firstname.lastname@example.org within fifteen (15) calendar days of filing online
. Please include your full name, examination number and examination title in the subject of your email. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER
: Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number. COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES
: For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County. NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD
: All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment . The County will make an individual assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed. ADA COORDINATOR PHONE
323-914-6365 TELETYPE PHONE :
(800) 899-4099 CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE :
(800) 735-2922 DEPARTMENT CONTACT :
Sylvia Jaimez, Exam Analyst
Telephone Number: (213) 288-7000
Email Address: email@example.com
For detailed information, please click here