Job Characteristics***OPEN & PROMOTIONAL JOB OPPORTUNITY***
Police Officer - Lateral
Please note : this is not an entry level police officer position. Please see our job openings for Police Officer Trainee or Police Officer Academy Grad if you have no experience as a police officer.
The City of Concord is seeking passionate professionals who are committed to serving the Concord community to serve as our next Police Officer.The Police Department:
The members of the Concord Police Department are dedicated to providing the highest quality police services in order to enhance community safety, protect life and property, and reduce crime and the fear of crime. To do this, we pledge to develop a partnership with the community, lead a community commitment to resolve problems, and improve the safety and quality of life in our city. For more information visit joinconcordpd.com . What you will be doing in this role:
The Concord Police Officer is typically the first line of contact with the public on behalf of the City. A large part of the Officer's role is to facilitate the resolution of problems by bringing together appropriate resources and to solve reoccurring problems. Community-Based policing is integrated into the traditional public safety activities of our Officers. Police Officers may be armed and may be assigned to work in uniform or plain clothes. Flexible shift schedules include 4-10 and 3-12 options, which may be changed periodically as job assignments may be rotated among patrol, traffic, criminal and juvenile investigation, radio dispatching and administrative services. Conviction History:
If you receive a conditional job offer, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you have received a conditional job offer. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City of Concord. RECRUITMENT INCENTIVES Signing Bonus of up to $20,000:
Incumbents are eligible for a signing bonus of up to $20,000. It is 50% payable upon satisfactory completion of required probationary period, and 50% payable upon three (3) years of continued service.Leave Pre-Accruals:
The first year of leave accruals (80 hours vacation and 96 hours sick leave) shall be front-loaded at time of hire. No further leave will accrue until after the first year of employment. EXCELLENT BENEFITS PACKAGE
This position is represented by the Concord Police Officers Association and receives an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to:
- Classic CalPERS members are eligible for 3% @ 50 plus Social Security
- New CalPERS members are eligible for 2.7% @ 57 plus Social Security
- Shift differential ranging from 3% - 8%
- Specialty Assignments: Detective (Violence Suppression Unit, Financial Crimes Unit, Special Victims Unit, Major Crimes Unit), Canine, Community Impact Unit, Motorcycle, Traffic Investigator, Special Enforcement Team, Research & Development (Information Technology), Crime Scene Investigator, FTO, SWAT, Front Desk Corporal, Patrol Corporal, and Drone Operator
- Master Officer Program - 10% at 15 years sworn service with 3 completed specialties.
- Longevity - 5% at 18 years sworn service.
- $250/month bilingual pay for qualifying languages
- Education and POST Certificate Incentives up to 10%
- Continued training and professional development opportunities
- Fully paid tuition reimbursement program with 2% pay increase while enrolled
Examples of duties include, but are not limited to
Patrols an assigned area by car, motorcycle, or on foot to observe, investigate and report suspicious and hazardous conditions; and apprehends and arrests law violators.Responds to routine and emergency calls for protection of persons and property and for the enforcement of City ordinances and State laws.Investigates crimes, accidents, deaths and disturbances and gathers evidence; interviews, questions, and takes statements from complainants, suspects and witnesses and completes case reports.Takes charge of juveniles and delinquents and works on cases involving unfit homes and crimes committed against or by juveniles; handles missing persons cases and works with community organizations and governmental agencies in delinquencies and delinquency control programs.Directs traffic, including regulation of vehicle flow at times of emergency or congestion; stops drivers who are operating vehicles in violation of laws; and issues citations.Appears in court to present evidence and testimony in connection with criminal prosecution.Searches, guards, transports and assists in the booking and custodial care of prisoners.Serves writs, warrants, subpoenas and other legal documents.With required State certification, may perform Paramedic duties by providing Advanced Life Support (ALS) emergency medical care.May be assigned to assist in conducting special studies of crime prevention, traffic control or other Police Department problems.Provides information and direction to the public and assists in developing community crime prevention programs and may speak before business, school, civic and social groups.
Completion of the equivalent of 60 college semester units. Police Service Standards
- To be a candidate for a position in this class, the applicant must fulfill all of the following:
- Minimum Age: The candidate shall be at least 21 years of age at the time of Lateral Entry or Academy Graduate appointment.
- Character & Background: The candidate shall possess traits including initiative, alertness, integrity, reliability, courtesy, and good judgment; and shall not have been convicted by any state or by the Federal Government for a crime, the punishment for which could have been imprisonment in a federal penitentiary or a state prison.
- Hearing: The candidate shall have normal hearing acuity.
- Weight: Weight shall be in good proportion with height.
- Physical & Mental Condition: The candidate shall be of sound physical condition; be of adequate physical stature, and possess strength, endurance and agility demonstrable in tests of physical performance and medical examination. The applicant shall be of good mentality and emotional maturity, in good health, and free from chronic disease, impairment of bodily function, loss or impairment of the use of any digit, history of psychosis or psycho-neurosis, or other disabling defects.
- Vision: The candidate shall possess normal color vision and visual functions. Each eye must be free of any abnormal condition or disease which might adversely affect performance of duty and there must be visual acuity of not less than 20/100 vision in both eyes without correction for glass wearers and not less than 20/200 vision in both eyes without correction for contact lens wearers.
To be eligible for Lateral Entry consideration, an individual MUST meet the above general requirements; have satisfactorily completed, in another jurisdiction, a probation period for a peace officer classification which is comparable to Concord's classification of Peace Officer; and possess a valid P.O.S.T. Police Officer Basic Certificate.
Must possess a valid California Driver's License and a satisfactory driving record as a condition of hire and of continued employment. When assigned to Paramedic duties, a valid Contra Costa County accredited California Paramedic Certificate is required.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States under federal law. United States citizenship is not required. EEO/ADA:
The City of Concord is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant employer, committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants.
If you have a disability and require accommodations in the testing process, please contact Human Resources at 925-671-3308 or email@example.com prior to the final filing date.
The City of Concord takes pride in offering a generous benefits program that provides flexibility for the diverse and changing needs of our qualifying employees.
For a complete overview, click here .
Below is a brief listing of what the City offers:
- Dental & Vision Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Pre-tax Savings Benefits
- Retiree Medical (3 levels based on date of hire)
- Retirement Program
- Short-term Disability*and Long-term Disability
- Social Security/Medicare
- Vacation & Sick Leave
*Not available for sworn personnel.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous