This examination is being given to fill multiple part- time vacancies in the San Joaquin General Hospital and to establish a referral pool to fill future part-time vacancies. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application. A completed application must be postmarked or received online by the final filing deadline.
Pre-Employment Drug Screening and Background : Potential new hires into this classification are required to successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and a background investigation as a condition of employment. Final appointment cannot be made unless the eligible has passed the drug screen and successfully completed the background process. The County pays for the initial drug screen. NOTE: All correspondences relating to this recruitment will be delivered via e-mail. The e-mail account used will be the one provided on your employment application during time of submittal. Please be sure to check your e-mail often for updates. If you do not have an e-mail account on file, Human Resources will send you correspondences via US Mail.
- Cleans and chops vegetables for salads and meals; prepares salad dressings according to standard recipes; combines ingredients and prepares and portions salads, fruits and desserts.
- Loads, delivers and picks up food and supplies from patients and outlying locations; washes, sorts and stores trays, dishes, utensils, pots, pans and carts.
- Prepares, portions and labels special diet items including salt-free, sugar-free, low-fat and pureed items; prepares patient trays, including those for special diets; verifies amounts and types of food, beverage and condiment items; measures and weighs portions according to menu and diet cards.
- Prepares a variety of short-order food items; waits on canteen customers by taking orders, serving food and selling soft drinks, candy magazines, and other items.
- Operates cafeteria and canteen registers; enters sales, accepts payments, makes change and issues receipts; assists in balancing register; secures monies; makes deposits.
- Sets up serving areas; serves food; stocks utensils, dishes, napkins and condiments; maintains proper levels of food and drink in vending machines.
- Operates, cleans and utilizes various items and vegetable choppers, shredders, slicers, dicers, steamers, mixers, blenders, bread cutters, toasters, coffee makers, meat cutting equipment, knives, ladles, steam tables, refrigerators, and food preparation areas.
- Cleans tables, serving and work areas; mops and hoses floors; washes windows; cleans restrooms and offices; collects and disposes of garbage.
- May assist in cooking or baking duties on a relief basis or for training purposes.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Experience :
Six months in high-volume commercial or institutional food service work. License:
Possession of a valid California Driver’s License Substitution :
Completion of an approved training program in food service methods and procedures may substitute for the required experience.
Basic methods and techniques of volume food service work including simple preparation, serving, cleaning, sanitation and safety practices; basic units of measure; principles and techniques of public relations.
Understand and follow oral and written instructions; perform routine food preparation, service and cleaning work; count and perform routine arithmetic calculations including simple notations; communicate effectively; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; treat customers courteously; stand constantly; lift and carry 25 pounds; perform manual dexterity tasks including constant handling, reaching, grasping and fingering; withstand frequent exposure to heat emanated from equipment, and cold from refrigerated storage area; may require ability to kneel, bend and stoop frequently.
Equal Opportunity Employer
San Joaquin County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and is committed to providing equal employment to all without regard to age, ancestry, color, creed, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation or belief, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation. For more information go to Equal Employment Opportunity Division (sjgov.org)
. Accommodations for those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA):
San Joaquin County complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and, upon request, will consider reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
BENEFITSPart-Time Employee Benefits:
Part-time employees who meet the appropriate eligibility criteria may receive health insurance benefits and step increases.
Applicants for part-time and temporary recruitments who meet the minimum qualifications are either referred to the hiring department for further selection or they may be required to take a written examination. If a written examination is given, the top candidates may be referred to the hiring department for further selection. Testing Accommodation:
Candidates who require testing accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) must call Human Resources Division at (209) 468-3370 prior to the examination date. Physical Exam
: Some classifications require physical examinations. Final appointment cannot be made until the eligible has passed the physical examination. The County pays for physical examinations administered in its medical facilities. Employment of Relatives:
Applicants who are relatives of employees in a department within the 3rd degree of relationship, (parent, child, grandparent, grandchild or sibling) either by blood or marriage, may not be appointed, promoted, transferred into or within the department when:
- They are related to the Appointing Authority, or
- The employment would result in one of them supervising the work of the other
Department Heads may establish additional limitations on the hiring of relatives by departmental rule. Proof of Eligibility:
If you are offered a job, you will be required to provide proof of U.S. citizenship or other documents that establish your eligibility to be employed in the U.S.
HOW TO APPLY Apply Online: www.sjgov.org/department/hr By mail or in person:
San Joaquin County Human Resources
44 N. San Joaquin Street Suite 330
Stockton, CA 95202 Office hours:
Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm; excluding holidays.
Phone: (209) 468-3370 Job Line:
For currentemployment opportunitiesplease callour 24-hour job line at (209) 468-3377.
When a final filing date is indicated, applications must be filed with the Human Resources Division before 5:00 p.m. or postmarked by the final filing date. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application. Applications sent through county inter-office mail, which are not received by the final filing date, will not be accepted. (The County assumes no responsibility for mailed applications which are not received by the Human Resources Division)
. San Joaquin County Substance Abuse Policy:
San Joaquin County has adopted a Substance Abuse Policy in compliance with the Federal Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988. This policy is enforced by all San Joaquin County Departments and applies to all San Joaquin County employees. Equal Opportunity Employer
: San Joaquin County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and is committed to providing equal employment to all without regard to age, ancestry, color, creed, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation or belief, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation. For more information go to www.sjgov.org/department/hr/eeo
Click on a link below to apply for this position: Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.
Apply Online View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.
This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here
. View and print the official application form as an Acrobat pdf file.
A San Joaquin County application form is required for this recruitment. You may print this Acrobat PDF document and then fill it in. Contact us via conventional means. You may contact us by phone at (209) 468-3370, or by email
, or apply for a job in person at the San Joaquin County Human Resources Division.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous