In Huntington Beach, we believe passionately that the key to becoming the best beach City in the world starts and ends with finding the right people to join our team. At this time, we have two outstanding career opportunities available, as we're looking for the "right people" to serve as Deputy City Attorney I, Deputy City Attorney II, or Senior Deputy City Attorney
in our LITIGATION
Division. The Ideal Candidate
has been practicing law in California for at least 2 years, with civil trial experience, either in prosecuting or defending lawsuits. The Ideal Candidate also has very strong legal research and writing experience, with experience researching and writing Writs, researching and writing Appeals, and preparing written discovery, dispositive motions, and preparing trial documents and briefs. Having represented other government or public agencies at trial is a significant plus and experience with State laws involving housing, planning and zoning, and State environmental laws is desirable.City Attorney's Office
The Office of the City Attorney represents the City in all aspects of legal representation. In addition to handling all lawsuits in-house, and prosecuting crimes at the local level, the City Attorney's Office advises the City Council and all City officials in all matters of law pertaining to the business of the City of Huntington Beach. Among other things, generally the City Attorney defends the City in every lawsuit, including Writs and Appeals, prepares and/or reviews all City Ordinances, Resolutions, contracts and other legal documents. The City Attorney also prosecutes criminal cases arising from violation of the provisions of the City Charter or Huntington Beach Municipal Code, and such State misdemeanors as the City has the power to prosecute. The Position
Under general direction from the City Attorney and Chief Assistant City Attorney, the Deputy City Attorney I, II or Senior Deputy City Attorney are assigned to the Litigation Division of the City Attorney's Office.
The Deputy City Attorney I or II perform routine to complex legal work, while the Senior level position will be assigned to handle high-exposure litigation principally in areas of, among others, Writs, Appeals, land use, State housing and environmental laws, personnel, police defense, personal injury and other tort defense, inverse condemnation, and public works, and may be required to provide direction and assistance to less experienced attorneys at the Deputy City Attorney levels . Regarding day-to-day function, these positions receive instruction or assistance commensurate with their experience and position level.NOTE:
This posting is a job series in which applications will be accepted, reviewed, and considered based on the qualifications listed on the application. The candidates that meet the minimum qualifications and best meet the City's current needs will be invited to test at the appropriate job level within the series. Only ONE APPLICATION needs to be submitted to be considered for this job series. SALARY RANGE:
Deputy City Attorney I : $109,306 - $146,481 Annually
Deputy City Attorney II: $132,055 - $176,966 Annually
Senior Deputy City Attorney : $140,179 - $187,853 Annually
Please note: This recruitment may close at any time, and will close when the hiring manager determines that a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
Examples of Essential Duties Deputy City Attorney I / II
Please click here to view the full job description for Deputy City Attorney IPlease click here to view the full job description for Deputy City Attorney II
- Timely responds to the needs presented while working in the City Attorney's Office in a professional, responsible, efficient manner in accordance with office policy as set by the City Attorney;
- Performs a full range of legal research, writing, and other law-related transactional duties;
- Drafts, reviews, and negotiates leases, contracts, and agreements;
- Drafts, reviews, evaluates, revises, and recommends City ordinances, resolutions, policies and procedures;
- Performs legal research, analysis, interprets laws, rulings and regulations, and prepares legal opinions to departments, boards, commissions, agencies and established committees as directed by the City Attorney or the Chief Assistant City Attorneys;
- Attends meetings with City staff and/or members of the public on behalf of the City and provides legal advice during the meetings as directed by the City Attorney or the Chief Assistant City Attorneys;
- May indirectly supervise other less experienced attorneys, support staff, and interns, provide work assignments and direction, review and evaluate work product as directed by the City Attorney or Chief Assistant City Attorney (at the II level)
In addition to duties listed above, Senior Deputy City Attorney
Please click here to review the full job description for Senior Deputy City Attorney.
- Performs the full range of litigation work;
- Responsible for Writs, Appeals, civil litigation, trials, damage or other civil suits in State and federal courts, including advanced appellate work and the representation of the City's Police Department and its officers in Pitchess Motions, as directed by the City Attorney or the Chief Assistant City Attorney;
- Occasionally represents management in hearings involving City employee disciplinary matters, as directed by the City Attorney or the Chief Assistant City Attorney;
- Handles all aspects of assigned cases or claims including investigation, pleading preparation, discovery, law and motion, court appearances, settlement negotiations, legal research, witness preparation, and trials for tort defense, writ actions, Pitchess motions, appellate work, civil rights actions, code enforcement, nuisance abatement, administrative actions and employee grievances, as directed by the City Attorney or the Chief Assistant City Attorney;
Any combination of education, training, and experience that would likely provide the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform in the position or assignment is qualifying. A typical combination includes: Education:
Graduation from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association with a Juris Doctorate degree. Experience:
Deputy City Attorney I - Two (2) years' experience as a practicing attorney, preferably within a municipal law office, or a private firm that has contracted with a public agency for legal services.
Deputy City Attorney II - Four (4) years' experience as a practicing attorney within a municipal law office, or a private firm that has contracted with a public agency for legal services
Senior Deputy City Attorney - Five (5) years' experience as a practicing trial attorney within a municipal law office, or a private firm that has contracted with a public agency for legal services. State and Federal jury trial experience is desirable. License/Certifications:
Possession of a valid California Class C driver license and an acceptable driving record are required by time of appointment and throughout employment.
Current member in good standing with the California State Bar Association.APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
- Application Review - Please attach to your online application 1. a cover letter, and 2. an updated resume.
- Examination(s) - An oral exam (weighted 100%) will be scheduled when a sufficient number of qualified applications has been received.
- Selection Interview
- Background Investigation