Position/Program Information TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job OpportunityEXAM NUMBER:
PH2565B F IRST DAY OF FILING :
Thursday, July 27, 2023, at 8:30 a.m., Pacific Time (PT) This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. No out of class experience will be accepted.
SPECIAL SALARY INFORMATION:
This position is subject to the provisions of the Management Appraisal of Performance Plan (MAPP). Initial salary placement and subsequent salary adjustments will be made in accordance with MAPP guidelines and regulations. DEFINITION:
Under direction, plans, organizes and directs the activities of a major information systems section or a small division providing services to support achievement of departmental and County mission and objectives. May function as a departmental CIO (Chief Information Officer) in a small County department. CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
Positions allocable to this class are allocated to a departmental centralized IT organization and are responsible for managing the staff and resources of a small division or large section that provide information technology services for business users. Information Technology Managers are classifications requiring a high degree of professional information technology knowledge as well as a broad range of management skills including organizational design, strategic planning, budgeting and personnel management. This classification differs from Principal level IT positions and IT supervisors in that they report directly to a higher level IT manager or the departmental CIO and have a high degree of responsibility for budget control and review.
Incumbents in this series are distinguished from Information Technology Specialists in that their work focus is on effective management and integration of customer, staff and project relationships and results.
Essential Job Functions
- As a member of Public Health Information Systems (PHIS), provides direction to Program Directors in the areas of IT organizational design, strategic planning, budgeting and personnel requirements in support of the Public Health Lab (PHL).
- Evaluates departmental and PHL goals and objectives against the capability of PHL IT infrastructure and systems to support those goals, including assisting with evaluation and optimization of PHIS systems to support critical business workflows. Oversees research and special studies to identify, recommend, and implement best practices.
- Interfaces with the DPH Chief Information Officer and other County Department representatives to develop and implement operation plans to meet the departmental strategic and business plan goals and objectives.
- Responsible for the strategic and technical evaluation of laboratory information systems (LIS) design and recommends hardware and/or software upgrades and/or implementation projects for new LIS features and interfaces. Prepares proposals for presentation of projects to the IT Executive Committee for approval.
- Creates and executes implementation and transition plans, working with external vendors and customers, as well as internal department leadership, as needed. Engages the countywide procurement process, if necessary.
- Establishes a training plan and organizes resources to train relevant PHIS and PHL staff to ensure that implementation goals and objectives are achieved, and staff are current with application systems knowledge. Leads a team of specialized IT professionals in project completion.
- Responsible for planning, organizing, managing, training, and evaluating the work of the Information Technology (IT) section at Public Health Laboratory (PHL), which includes highly specialized staff. Complete administrative and technical supervision of section staff.
- Prepares contracts in conjunction with the Department's Contracts and Grants office. Writes solicitation documents, such as Requests for Quotes, Information or Proposals (RFQ, RFI, RFP). Develops and negotiates IT Service Level Agreements (SLA) and Memorandums of Understanding (MOU) with external business managers to ensure that contractual terms and specifications are appropriate and attainable. Prepares Statements of Work (SOW), budget documents, contract review forms, and any other related documents to complete the solicitation process.
- Administers vendor contracts, develops change requests and approves vendor and contractor deliverables.
- Meets and negotiates with other County departments to ensure that the needs of PHL are being met, and that business plans are beneficial. Meets with customers to ensure that service delivery options are being met. Resolves major issues that emerge with external partners, customers, etc. to ensure that the best possible solution is agreed upon.
Requirements MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: OPTION I:
Graduation from an *accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a closely related field, and four (4) years of progressively responsible**, full-time, paid experience in a centralized Information Technology organization*** performing information systems analysis and design, application development, network administration or operating systems analysis; one (1) year must have been in a supervisory capacity****. OPTION II:
One (1) year of experience at the level of Los Angeles County class of Information Technology Supervisor , Principal Information Systems Analyst , Principal Application Developer, Principal Operating Systems Analyst , or Principal Network Systems Administrator. OPTION III:
Six (6) years of progressively responsible**, full-time, paid experience in a centralized Information Technology organization*** with at least two (2) years functioning in a supervisory capacity****. LICENSE:
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions. PHYSICAL CLASS:
Physical Class II - This class includes administrative and clerical positions requiring light physical effort that may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit and some bending, stooping, or squatting. Considerable ambulation may be involved. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS INFORMATION: You must POSSESS and CLEARLY EXPRESS detailed years of experience performing relevant duties, related to the requirements within your online job application under the "Experience" area . *ACCREDITATION :
Accredited institutions are those listed in the publications of regional, national or international accrediting agencies which are accepted by the Department of Human Resources. Publications such as American Universities and Colleges
and International Handbook of Universities
are acceptable references. ** Progressively responsible experience
is defined as work experience that clearly shows an upward progression in the level of duties and responsibilities from one job to the next.
** * Centralized IT organization
in the County of Los Angeles is defined as that which is responsible, under the direction or guidance of the Chief Information Technology official (or at Sheriff Department, the coordinated executive command structure) for the department or major organization unit, for providing comprehensive IT services including analysis, design, acquisition, and/or development, implementation, maintenance, or support of information systems; and in which the work performed is in direct relationship to the IT requirements and initiatives of the department or major organization unit.
**** Supervisory Capacity
is defined as responsibility for planning, assigning and reviewing the work of staff, evaluating employee performance, participating in interviewing and selecting new staff, and performance management.
For full description of class specifications of Los Angeles County classes:
Information Technology Supervisor (Item #2598), Principal Information Systems Analyst (Item #2594), Principal Application Developer (Item #2526) , Principal Operating Systems Analyst (Item #2552), or Principal Network Systems Administrator. (Item# 2561), please click the hyperlink on each title OR go to Department of Human Resources website at
http://hr.lacounty.gov/ and type in the job title or item number under "FIND JOB DESCRIPTIONS" search box.
Foreign degrees must be evaluated for equivalency to United States accredited institutions standards by an academic credential evaluation agency recognized by The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services or the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE) . (see Employment Information under Accreditation Information)
In order to receive credit for any type of college or university coursework and/or degree , such as a Bachelor's Degree or higher, you must attach a legible copy of the Official Diploma
, Official Transcript(s)
, or Official Letter
from the accredited institution, which shows the area of specialization and the date the degree was awarded, with Registrar's signature and school seal, to the application.
- Official Transcript is defined as a transcript that bears the college seal and states "official and/or copy" issued by the school's registrar office. A printout of the transcript from the school's website is NOT considered official and will not be accepted and may result in your application being incomplete and rejected.
- All documents must be attached to your application at the time of filing, or e-mailed to HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission or your application may be rejected.
Credit will be given to applicants that possess the following desirable qualifications:
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist License issued by the California Department of Public Health.
- Public Health Microbiology Certificate issued by the California Department of Public Health.
- Experience configuring, installing, implementing, and supporting a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) in a clinical or public health laboratory.
- Experience in evaluating and consulting on current and future Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) application requirements, and analyzing and designing appropriate technical solutions (e.g. lab instrument interfaces, EMR interfaces).
- Experience in ensuring IT policies, procedures, and guidelines adhere to laboratory regulatory requirements, e.g. College of American Pathologists (CAP), Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA).
- Management experience making recommendations and taking actions which have a direct effect on multiple offices/programs.
- Management experience supervising and training staff to support a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).
- Management experience developing and implementing IT policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Management experience formulating short-term and long-term IT goals and objectives
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
Once we have determined that you meet one of our Minimum Requirement options, the examination process will consist of an evaluation of education and experience based on application information, desirable qualifications and supplemental questionnaire information submitted at the time of filing weighted 100% . Applicants must meet the Minimum Requirements and achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination (evaluation of education and experience) to be added on the Eligible Register (hiring list).
Passing this examination and being added on the Eligible Register does not guarantee an offer of employment. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be added to the Eligible Register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.
NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.
Complete applications will be processed on an as-received basis and promulgated to the Eligible Register accordingly.
The Eligible Register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Public Health as they occur.
Any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. SPECIAL INFORMATION APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
Applications must be submitted ONLINE ONLY.
Applications submitted by U.S. Mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted. Plan to submit your online application well in advance of the 5:00 p.m. (PT) deadline on the last day of filing as you may be required to verify your email address. This only needs to be done once per email address, and if you already have a job seeker account on the County of Los Angeles Job Opportunities Website, you can verify at any time by logging in and following the prompts. This is to enhance the security of your online application and to ensure you do not enter an incorrect email address.
Apply online by clicking on the green "Apply" button located on this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS
. Fill out the application and Supplemental Questionnaire accurately and completely to receive full credit for any relevant education and/or job experience you include. In the space provided on the application for education, include names and addresses of schools attended, dates attended, degree(s) received, and degree major. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job/position title, start and end dates, the number of hours worked per week, and detailed description of work and duties performed. If the application and/or Supplemental Questionnaire is/are incomplete, the application will be REJECTED
. IMPORTANT NOTES:
FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE:
- Please note that ALL information supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- Applications may be rejected at any stage of the examination and selection process.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION or RESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT .
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification(s) and/or Minimum Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. In doing so your application will be dispositioned as INCOMPLETE and will not be accepted.
- Comments such as "SEE RESUME" or "SEE APPLICATION" will not be considered a valid response; therefore, using such statements will also result in your application being rejected as INCOMPLETE .
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed. ANTI-RACISM, DIVERSITY, AND INCLUSION (ARDI):
The County of Los Angeles recognizes and affirms that all people are created equal and are entitled to all rights afforded by the Constitution of the United States. The Department of Human Resources is committed to promoting Anti-racism, Diversity, and Inclusion efforts to address the in equalities and disparities amongst race. We support the ARDI Strategic Plan and its goals by improving equality, diversity, and inclusion in recruitment, selection, and employment practices. COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County. Check the website for updated information at https://lacountylibrary.org . NO SHARING OF USER ID, E-MAIL AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their OWN user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number. California Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922 ADA Coordinator Phone:
(323) 659-6546 Teletype Phone:
(800) 899-4099 Alternate Teletype Phone
: (800) 897-0077 Department Contact Name:
Exam Analyst Department Contact Phone:
(323) 659-6546 Department Contact E-mail:
For detailed information, please click here
Closing Date/Time: Continuous