**This position is open until filled. Applications received by August 21 , 2023, will receive first consideration. **
The City of Tacoma’s Environmental Services Department has an exciting opportunity for an experienced and talented Senior Engineering Project Manager to join our dynamic Capital Delivery Team. As a Senior Engineering Project Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing and successfully delivering complex engineering projects, developing operations and maintenance type contracts, and other solid waste programs from conception to completion for our award-winning Solid Waste Utility. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in project management, strong technical expertise, and excellent leadership skills.
This is a position that significantly contributes to Environmental Services’ mission to provide sustainable and cost-effective management services to protect the environment and recover value from Tacoma’s waste streams. This unique position will be embedded and located with the Solid Waste team at the Recovery and Transfer Center, which allows for collaboration and interaction with the Solid Waste operations, maintenance, and management staff, and will report to the Capital Delivery team and have meetings at the Center for Urban Waters, which allows for collaboration and interaction with the engineering and construction management work groups. This position also allows for a flexible work schedule or part-time teleworking.City of Tacoma’s Principles that Guide Us
Tacoma, the City of Destiny , has a workforce of dedicated, talented, and open-minded employees with unique skills and perspectives. We embrace innovation and strive for excellence and community engagement in all that we do. The Principles that Guide Us, Integrity, Service, Excellence, and Equity , speak to the values that we embody as City of Tacoma employees, and represent the core of our work in public service.Essential Duties:
- Provide project leadership and manage the full lifecycle of engineering projects, including planning, execution, monitoring, and closure.
- Define project scope, goals, and deliverables in collaboration with stakeholders.
- Develop detailed project plans, schedules, and budgets, ensuring adherence to timelines and financial targets.
- Coordinate and collaborate with cross-functional teams, including engineers, designers, operations and maintenance staff, environmental scientists, and technicians to ensure project objectives are met.
- Develop, in coordination with operations and maintenance staff, contracts for the Solid Waste Utility operations and maintenance of facilities, including on-site operations and collection operations.
- Manage technical consultants contracted for project delivery.
- Oversee engineers and/or other technical staff assigned to specific projects.
- Allocate resources and assign tasks to team members, providing guidance and support as needed.
- Monitor project progress, identify and mitigate risks, and resolve any issues that arise during the project lifecycle.
- Conduct regular project status meetings and provide timely updates to stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance with quality standards, regulatory requirements, and safety protocols.
- Manage project documentation, including contracts, technical specifications, and change orders.
- Support the incorporation of asset management principles into business programs for operations and maintenance.
- Identify operational and maintenance needs and develop business cases for projects based on those identified needs.
- Foster a collaborative and positive team environment, promoting effective communication and knowledge sharing.
Qualifications QUALIFICATIONS: Minimum Education*
Bachelor's degree in civil engineering, construction management, project management or
directly related field. Minimum Experience*
5 years of progressively responsible professional capital construction project management
*Equivalency: 1 year of experience = 1 year of education Licensing, Certifications and Other Requirements
Some certifications may be required, based on assignment.
Washington State Driver's License is required.
A Washington State Professional Engineer License is highly desirable.
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders.
- Excellent writer that can communicate effectively and convey direct and meaningful messages, proposals, and contracts with a target audience.
- Experience in managing budgets, controlling costs, and ensuring project profitability.
- Knowledge of relevant regulations, standards, and best practices in the engineering industry.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Professional certifications in project management (e.g., PMP) are highly desirable.
Selection Process & Supplemental Information City of Tacoma Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Tacoma's diversity is its greatest asset. Tacoma embraces its multi-cultural and multi-ethnic character. Communities of color and immigrant communities are fundamental to Tacoma's entrepreneurial spirit, workforce, and long-term success. In Tacoma, equity and empowerment are top priorities, meaning that all Tacoma residents must have equitable opportunities to reach their full potential and share in the benefits of community progress. One of our goals is for the City of Tacoma workforce to reflect the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and welcome candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or multicultural skill sets and experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
The City of Tacoma is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in its workplace. Applicants are considered for positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, and local laws.
The City of Tacoma offers a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package, and opportunities for professional growth and development. If you are a strategic thinker, an excellent communicator, and have a passion for leading and delivering successful engineering projects and programs, we would love to hear from you!
I nterested individuals should apply online and attach
a detailed resume and a cover letter outlining your qualifications, relevant experience, and why you are interested in the Senior Engineering Project Manager position.
Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check. Communication from the City of Tacoma:
We primarily communicate via e-mail during the application process. E-mails from cityoftacoma.org and/or governmentjobs.com must be placed on your safe domain list to ensure that you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
The online application system requires you to enter a substantial amount of information. In order for your application materials to be considered, all information must be submitted before the closing date and time listed on this job announcement.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources office at (253) 591-5400 before 5pm on the closing date
The City of Tacoma provides excellent medical, dental and vision plans for the whole family; paid holidays and paid leave; participation in the Tacoma Public Employees' Retirement System (alternate plan for Police/Fire); continuing education and advancement opportunities and a growing variety of City-sponsored health and wellness opportunities and incentives.
Medical Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Dental Coverage: For eligible employees and their families, including domestic partners and dependent children age 26 or younger.
Vision Coverage: For eligible employees and their eligible dependents.
Paid Leave: City employees are entitled to received paid holidays, sick/vacation leave or personal time off (PTO), depending upon union affiliation and appointment type.
Insurance Plans: Employees are covered by a long-term disability plan. Short-term and expanded long-term disability insurance plans are also available to employees. The State Industrial Insurance Act also covers employees.
Deferred Compensation: Income can be set aside on a pretax basis and invested for supplementation of normal retirement income.
Retirement: All employees of the City, except members of the Police and Fire services, Tacoma Rail and certain project employees, are included in the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System. Information on the Tacoma Employees' Retirement System can be found at www.cityoftacoma.org or by calling (253) 502-8200.
Other Employment Information
Direct Deposit: Employees are paid on a bi-weekly schedule by direct deposit.
Salary Increases: Based on satisfactory job performance, the City provides for a regular progression of salary increases for most classifications according to the salary schedule.
Union Affiliation: Many job classifications are covered by union security provisions which require union membership, dues, or payment of equivalent service fees.
Note: The provisions of this job announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous