Introduction The starting rate of pay is $14.91 per hour; additional compensation may be offered dependent upon years of experience.About The Position
Lifeguards and swim instructors provide supervision and instruction to various age groups in swimming and diving activities, and ensure the safety of patrons in the swimming area. Lifeguards and swim instructors also may be assigned cashier duties. Please note the following:
- Lifeguards/Instructors must be at least 15 years of age at time of hire.
- Part-time positions have limited benefits, as required by law.
- Part-time positions, unclassified, at-will and serve at the discretion of City.
- Interviews and/or skills testing will be conducted periodically throughout this continuous job posting when a sufficient number of applications have been received.
- The intent of this recruitment is to establish an eligibility list where your application may be used to fill existing and/or future vacancies at all four of our aquatic centers, as needed.
- Applicants who do not have a lifeguard certification are required to successfully complete the StarGuard Lifeguard Certification class to be eligible to apply. The City of Scottsdale offers this class and registration is required.
- This recruitment process will be used to fill temporary, part-time positions at all four aquatic centers as needed.
- Work schedules vary depending on the needs of the aquatic center, and typically require some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
The City of Scottsdale is proud to announce that they will reimburse an individual for the full cost of the StarGuard Lifeguard Certification, so long as they meet the following criteria:
- Valid lifeguarding certification must be issued by StarGuard and class taken with the City of Scottsdale.
- Certification must have been issued within the last 30 days.
- Must provide Active Net account name/number used to purchase lifeguarding class.
- An employee must be a quality performer for the first 90 consecutive days from date of hire.
Click here for information on pool locations.
for information on becoming a lifeguard. Special Duty Pay:
Employee Referral Bonus:
- During the summer season, Aquatic Employees are eligible to receive a Peak Season Pay incentive. Lifeguard / Instructor base pay will increase to $16.00/hour.
Minimum Qualifications Education and Experience:
- City of Scottsdale Aquatics employees can receive a $125 referral bonus for each candidate they recruit.
- City of Scottsdale Aquatics employees can recruit a maximum of six candidates to become certified lifeguards and apply as a City of Scottsdale Lifeguard/Instructor.
- Candidates who are referred and hired are required to work an average of 20 hours per week during the peak summer months (June & July) and receive a positive end of summer evaluation.
- Candidates MUST list the name of the employee who referred them on their application.
Licensing, Certifications, and Other Requirements:
- No education or experience required for this position.
- Must be a minimum of 15 years of age at the time of hire.
- Lifeguard must possess current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training/First Aid and American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certifications or current StarGuard Lifeguard Certification at the time of hire.
- Instructor must possess a current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification or Starfish Swim Instructor certification, current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training/First Aid and American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer certifications or current StarGuard Lifeguard Certification at the time of hire.
- Proof of current certifications or proof of enrollment in StarGuard Lifeguard Certification must be shown at time of interview.
- Every person employed by the City of Scottsdale shall reside in the State of Arizona during his or her active employment by the City, regardless of whether the employee is approved to remote work.
Other pertinent licenses and/or certifications may be required of some positions depending on division/department/service assignment. Essential Functions
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area within a division(s) which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following: All Assignments
- Answers phones.
- May operate cash register, accurately handle cash, and follow prescribed cash handling procedures.
- May enter data on computer, complete records and reports.
- Provides quality customer service.
- May use the computer to work with ActiveNet and Office 365 programs.
- Roves/maintains security and safety of facilities and parks throughout shift.
- Sits in stationary lifeguard chair.
- Moves and stands to observe swimmers in the pool and on the pool deck for accidents occurring in the water, on the deck, or on the diving equipment.
- Enters swimming pool to rescue persons in trouble.
- Participates in on-going training.
- Performs safety checks of pool equipment and pool areas.
- Enforces policies, rules, regulations, and ordinances governing the conduct of people using the swimming pool and pool deck area.
- Performs rescue and administers artificial respiration, CPR, and first aid.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Demonstrates skills and helps class participants learn to swim.
- Performs administrative duties related to classes such as registration, public relations, and completes records and reports.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Most work is performed in a swimming pool environment with occasional work performed in a fitness center, outdoor park, or office environment.
- Sit in stationary lifeguard chair for long periods of time and moves around on deck to make observations.
- Operate a cash register and accurately handle money.
- Concentrate on and complete tasks in the presence of distractions.
- Observe swimmers in and around the pool.
- Lift dead weight usually exceeding 50 pounds.
- Exposure to the sun, pool chemicals, dust, grease, noise, inclement weather, temperature extremes, and unpleasant odors.
- Work in chemically treated swimming pool water and in direct sunlight.
- The Parks and Recreation Department enforces dress and appearance standards related to uniform.
- Lift equipment weighing up to 50 pounds on a daily basis.
- Act quickly and calmly in emergencies; administer first aid and CPR and perform rescue actions.
- Lift arms above shoulder level.
- Work evenings, weekends and holidays.
The application and supplemental questions are an integral part of the selection process and must be completed in full in order for you to be considered as a candidate. Please complete each section and answer all questions as thoroughly as possible. DO NOT state "See Resume"
in lieu of answering. Unanswered questions, incomplete responses, omissions, or partial information may result in disqualification from the selection process.
Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process that may include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening that may include:
Click here to review the entire job description.
- Fingerprinting search of the national FBI Database (if over 18 at time of hire)
- Criminal Background screening (if over 18 at time of hire)
- Drug Screening
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
: It is the policy of the city to provide employment opportunities to all persons based solely on ability, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
When advised, reasonable accommodations will be made in order for an "otherwise qualified applicant" with a disability to participate in any phase of the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources to request an accommodation. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491. Requests should be made 24 hours in advance or as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation. For TTY users, the Arizona Relay Service (1-800-367-8939) may contact HR Receptionist at (480) 312-2491.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous