Salary: Commensurate with experience USD
At the City of Atlanta, we are passionate about building and improving our community. Our police officers, firefighters and building inspectors keep our citizens safe. Our Public Works staff keeps our City clean and helps maintain, build and improve our City’s infrastructure. Our City planners help envision and shape future City growth. Our Parks & Recreation professionals enhance our quality of life.
Our engineers help keep our drinking water clean, the largest airport in the world (by passenger volume) operating and our buildings maintained. Along with the host of Finance, Procurement, and Human Resources professionals whose support is vital, we are the City of Atlanta! If you are seeking a meaningful role where you can make a real difference improving and growing our City, we welcome you to explore the job opportunities we have to offer.
Posting Expires: Open Until Filled
Salary: Commensurate with experience
General Description and Classification Standards
The Accounting Technical Specialist (ATS) will provide administrative and technical support to the Financial Manager in performing the Department of Public Works payables functions. Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to processing invoices in a timely manner; performing appropriate research and taking appropriate corrective actions as required; and responding to the customer in a timely manner via phone and/or e-mail. Acts as primary resource to the Accounting Technical Specialist Lead and Financial Manager.
The ATS will rely on applicable systems and input from Public Works personnel to ensure that payments are made accurately and timely. Will ensure compliance within financial, operational and recordkeeping practices as required by the City of Atlanta Code of Ordinances and Departmental policies.
Works under general supervision of Financial Analyst, Sr and Financial Manager; however, must have ability to work independently. Expected to proactively collaborate with management, colleagues, and internal and external stakeholders for solutions to non-routine issues.
Provides higher level accounting support in accounts payable. This is an experienced, skilled, or technical accounting level capable of carrying out most assignments typical of the position or specialty with limited guidance or review. This role is a non-supervisory position.
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
General responsibilities will include:
• Demonstrates substantial understanding of the job requirements and applies knowledge and skills to a wide range of tasks within one or more of the following areas.
• Checks and verifies accounts payable records.
• Prepares invoices and disbursements.
• Uses automated systems to input data, generate reports, conduct specialized research projects, and respond to inquiries.
• Provides administrative support in collections process.
• Prepares outstanding accounts reports and gathers credit and/or reference information.
• Maintains databases by entering, updating, and retrieving data as well as formatting and generating reports.
• Assists in resolution of outstanding invoice problems from past due accounts.
• Responds to inquiries from customers or external collection resources.
• May place calls or send messages to those with unresolved issues.
• Identify opportunities to further; improve efficiency and effectiveness of processes, procedures, and information reporting.
• Deal professionally, effectively, and appropriately with all personnel and customers.
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with all department personnel, City officials and outside professionals.
• Maintains knowledge base of information related to Public Works processes to provide best in class customer service by answering customer concerns confidently and accurately.
• Other business-related duties and special projects as needed.
Specific Responsibilities may include:
• Monthly financials analysis reporting on all expenses through various subsystems, such Oracle, etc.
• Contact customers to identify payment anomalies.
• Resolve invoices on hold within 5 business days.
• Answer customer inquiries via personal contact, phone, and/or email.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
• Basic knowledge of GAAP.
• Ability to compile and explain complex reports.
• Results and deadline driven.
• Solid understanding of financial and accounting practices, policies, and procedures.
• Skill in use of Microsoft Office, accounting software, databases.
• Good planning, organizational and communication skills.
• Ability to handle escalated issues.
• Ability to train new employees and/or interns.
• Ability to compile simple reports.
• Ability to use independent judgment and discretion
• Highly proficient in use of Microsoft Office, accounting software, databases, and good interpersonal skills. Ability to process numbers quickly and accurately. Ability to spot inconsistencies and either troubleshoot issues as they arise or escalate to higher level.
• Excellent technical, oral, and written communication skills to effectively communicate across all levels of management and employees.
• Providing outstanding customer satisfaction (internally and externally);
Minimum Training and Experience Required to Perform Essential Job Functions
• Completion of Technical or Vocational course of study or associate degree in accounting.
• 5 years of accounting experience in multiple areas of accounting.
Preferred Education & Experience
• Undergraduate degree in accounting or financial business-related field.
• 5+ years in an accounts receivable and/or billing organization.
• Intermediate level skill in use of Microsoft Office Suite and accounting software databases.