The Job Be an agent of change and make a difference in delivering health and wellness to millions of residents. Join a team who is passionate about the services they provide and is committed to making a difference throughout San Bernardino County.
The San Bernardino County Department of Behavioral Health
invites qualified professionals to apply for the position of Pre-Licensed Psychologist*
. Pre-Licensed Psychologists*
work in a variety of programs providing rehabilitative mental health/substance abuse services in clinical, institutional, and community settings to adults and children with severe mental or emotional disorders. Pre-licensed clinicians obtain supervised clinical experience.Hear from current therapists about their experiences within the County below!
Clinical Therapist, Pre-Licensed Psychologist
For additional details, please refer to the
Clinical Therapist, Pre-Licensed Psychologist job description.
The Department of Behavioral Health (DBH)
is responsible for providing mental health and substance use disorder services to county residents who are experiencing major mental illness or substance abuse related issues. DBH provides mental health and substance use disorder prevention and treatment services to all age groups, with a primary emphasis on treating children/youth who may be seriously emotionally disturbed, adults who are experiencing a serious and persistent mental illness, and individuals who are experiencing substance use disorders. DBH also provides an array of outreach/engagement, prevention, and early intervention services. DBH's core values are service
, and trust
DBH is a unique County Department comprised of six (6) service areas: Outpatient Clinics and Youth Services; Substance Use Disorder and Recovery Services; 24-Hour and Emergency Services; Forensic and Homeless Services; Administrative Services; and Program Support Services. The Department currently has a workforce in excess of 1000 positions and an approximate $700 million-dollar annual budget.
DBH is also accepting applications for Licensed Psychologist I*
and Licensed Psychologist II*
. Please click on either job title to be redirected to the corresponding application. Each position requires its own application; submitting applications for multiple positions is in your best interest as they do not interfere with one another. Click HERE to learn more about the Department of Behavioral Health Click HERE to learn more about San Bernardino County
Immediate vacancies exist in the following Department of Behavioral Health programs; please indicate your availability for referral to each program in the Supplemental Questionnaire.Assisted Outpatient Treatment
SPMI involved with the Court System (Forensics) -
- Incumbents assigned to this position will be responsible for evaluating individuals referred for Assisted Outpatient Treatment based on criteria outlined in Laura's Law pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code Sections 5345-5349.5; developing declarations and drafting petitions to submit to Superior Court; and writing progress reports for those individuals ordered into Assisted Outpatient Treatment.
System Involved Children and Youth (CYCS) -
Transitional Age Youth (TAY)/Former system involved Young Adults -
Community Clinic -
The list established from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future vacancies as they occur throughout the Department.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Applicants must pass a background check that will include, fingerprint/DOJ LiveScan, DMV check, and medical exam. The m edical exam will include a drug and TB test. Applicant must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent U.S. resident. Some positions may require additional background check processes dependent upon the work location.Travel:
Travel throughout the County may be required depending on assignment. Employees will be required to make provision for transportation. At the time of hire, a valid California driver license and proof of automobile liability insurance must be produced and maintained for the individual providing the transportation.Compensation Differential:
Clinical therapists regularly assigned to work night/overnight hours, in detention facilities, or in the Behavioral Health Inpatient Unit at ARMC receive additional compensation. Indicate your interest and availability for such positions on the Supplemental Questionnaire.
Pre-licensed Psychologists must be eligible for waiver of licensure under State laws and regulations and obtain the required Mental Health waiver prior to the commencement of employment. Pre-Licensed Psychologists must become licensed by the State of California within five (5) years of the original waiver or be terminated. Upon obtaining license, employees may be promoted to Licensed Psychologist I* ($6,184 - $8,945 monthly).
Applicants from out of state:
Minimum Requirements Degree
- Who possess Ph.D./Psy.D. degrees, are not licensed in California, and who have not completed the requirements for California licensure, must be eligible for waiver of licensure under State laws and regulations and obtain the required Professional Licensing Waiver prior to the commencement of employment. Pre-Licensed Psychologists must become licensed by the State of California within five (5) years of the original waiver or be terminated unless they were previously licensed in another state.
- The California Department of Health Care Services may grant a waiver for those who were previously licensed in another state and considered license ready in CA according to the Board of Psychology criteria, for up to three (3) years. Applicants must have sufficient experience to gain admission to a licensing examination so that registration with the Board of Psychology is not required. Offers of employment are contingent on the applicant's ability to obtain waiver and obtain licensure within three (3) years of the date of the waiver. At the interview, all pre-licensed and license ready applicants will sign a Statement of Awareness of the Requirement to Obtain Licensure for Continued Employment.
: Must have received or be within three (3) months of receiving a doctorate degree in psychology, educational psychology, education with a field specialization in counseling psychology or educational psychology from an approved or accredited educational institution that meets the educational requirements for licensure.
The doctoral program must
have included 1500 hours of clinical internship. Job offers will not be made until the degree is received and a Professional Licensing Waiver is granted by the Department of Health Care Services. A copy of transcript is required upon appointment.Desired Qualifications
Applicants fluent in American Sign Language, Arabic, Korean, Mandarin, Spanish, Tagalog, and/or Vietnamese are strongly encouraged to apply. Additional compensation is associated with positions requiring the use of bilingual skills. Testing of bilingual skills may be required to receive additional compensation.
Experience in one or more of the following areas is highly desirable:
- Government or private inpatient, psychiatric hospital or behavioral health clinics/programs/contract agencies, serving persistently mentally ill clients.
- Providing child/adolescent and family therapy.
- Crisis intervention/brief therapy with severely mentally ill adults/children.
- Quality assurance or utilization review activities.
- Managed care or insurance plans, such as, but not limited to, Kaiser, Inland Empire Health Plan (IEHP) or Molina Healthcare.
- Performing clinical screening/assessment duties in a call center environment, including screening and resource referrals to care.
- Grievances, beneficiary rights and consumer complaints investigations and resolution.
- Intensive care coordination with physical health care providers for severely persistently mentally ill clients.
- Case management for individuals with severe and persistent mental illness.
- Coordinating care for individuals with co-occurring substance disorders.
- Transitional care coordination between inpatient and outpatient levels of care for medical complexity or severely persistently mentally ill adults and children.
- Working with incarcerated individuals in correctional settings, such as institutions/locked detention facilities or with probationers/offenders recently released from a correctional setting.
There will be a competitive evaluation
of qualifications based on the information provided in the Application and the Supplemental Questionnaire. You are encouraged to include detailed descriptions of your qualifying experience ,
as only the most highly qualified applicants will be referred to the Department. Please ensure all relevant experience is indicated in the Application and responses to the Supplemental Questionnaire, as resumes and other attachments will not be reviewed for the competitive evaluation.
Completing your application with statements such as "see/refer to resume" or "see attached" rather than completing your work history may affect your eligibility or competitive evaluation score. Be sure to clearly describe your experience in meeting the minimum requirements.
If you require technical assistance, please click HERE to review the Government Jobs online application guide , or contact their Toll-Free Applicant Support line at (855) 524-5627. Please note that Human Resources is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by computer or browser used to submit the application. EEO/ADA:
S an Bernardino County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant employer, committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants.
If you have a disability and require accommodations in the testing process, submit the
Special Testing Accommodations Request Form (Download PDF reader) within one week of a recruitment filing deadline. Veterans' Preference:
Eligible veterans and their spouse or widow(er) who are not current County employees may be awarded additional Veterans' Preference points. Click HERE for information and instructions to request Veteran's Preference points. Please click HERE for important Applicant Information and the County Employment Process