Under direction, to prepare a variety of foods for the County jail population; to assist with the supervision of trustees; care for equipment, utensils, supplies and work areas; do related work as required.
Example of Duties
- Assists with the supervision of trustees and personally participates in the food preparation and food services activities in the County jail.
- Assists with the planning of the general menu and writes menu sheets.
- Supervises and assists trustees engaged in preparing meals.
- Cuts and prepares all types of meat, fowl and fish.
- Prepares and cooks vegetables, salads, desserts and other foods and beverages.
- Establishes quality controls, sanitary and procedural standards and policies and inspects food served to prisoners for compliance with established standards.
- Maintains kitchen in compliance with sanitary standards.
- Cares for and maintains equipment.
- Requisitions, inspects and supervises the storage of groceries, fresh fruit and vegetables, dairy products, meat and other food supplies.
- Keeps records of accounts related to food service operations.
- Plans and supervises trustees in the planting and maintenance of a large garden.
- Prepares garden vegetables for preserving.
- May occasionally escort prisoners as directed.
Minimum Qualifications Knowledge of:
Techniques and methods for preparing food in quantities; equipment and utensils used in preparation, cooking and serving food; food storage methods; kitchen sanitation and methods of cleaning and caring for kitchen equipment; and kitchen safety practices. Ability to:
Direct the work of trustees engaged in food preparation; order food and supplies in proper quantities; prepare designated quantities of food with a minimum of waste; organize work to meet meal schedules; plan and supervise the maintenance of a large garden; and prepare and preserve vegetables. Education, Training, and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school and one (1) year of responsible experience cooking food in large quantities in an institution or commercial kitchen.
Possession of a valid California Driver's License. Bargaining Unit 10 - Calaveras County Public Service Employees Association
For available Health/Dental/Vision insurance please visit the County BENEFITS WEBPAGE. Please note that Extra-hire positions that are benefitted, are only offered our CORE medical plan and are not offered dental or vision. NEW * Assist-To-Own program to help Couny employees purchase a home.
- Down Payment Assistance, up to 5.5% of the Total Mortgage Loan.
- Available with purchase of a primary residence.
- Variety of Mortgage Loan options (FHA, VA, USDA and Conventional Mortgage Loans).
- No first-time homebuyer requirement to qualify.
- Flexible guidelines: Minimum FICO 640; Maximum DTI 50%.
- Flexible income limits, up to moderate income levels; no income limits for FHA and VA.
For more information, vists Calaveras County Assist-to-Own Uniform Allowance:
$650.04 per calendar year for specific positionssplit into monthly payments.Payments will be made monthly on the second pay check.Qualifying Classifications
: Crime Scene Specialist/Property Room Manager, Deputy Probation Officer I/II/III, Correctional Cook I/II, Correctional Technician, Correctional Officer, Correctional Corporal, Correctional Sergeant, Dispatcher Clerk, Sr. Dispatcher, and Animal Control Officer I/II/III. The County shall pay a two hundred dollar and four cent ($200.04) per calendar year uniform maintenance allowance to Animal Shelter Assistant.Uniform Allowance(Shirt):
$200.04 per calendar year split into monthly payments.Qualifying Classifications
: Animal Shelter AssistantProfessional Time Off
: 80 hours annually, prorated to 40 hours if hired after July 1st. Qualifying Classifications
: Deputy District Attorney I/II/III/IVExtra-Hire:
Extra-hire employees are not eligible for step advances, vacation, seniority rights, holiday pay or other certain employee benefits. They are entitled to 24 hours of sick leave per year and eligilbe for the county's CORE Medical plan but not eligible for dental or vision insurance.Vacation days:
0 - 3 complete years = 80 hours per year.
After 6 months you can take your first week.
3 - 10 complete years = 120 hours per year
10 years+ = 160 per yearHolidays
:13 paid holidays per year.Life Insurance:
$50,000.00 County paidSick Leave:
12 days annual sick leave accrual with unlimited accumulation.
Sick leave is accrued at 3.69 hours for each full 80 hours of payroll period.
60 hours of sick leave can be used for immediate family, parent spouse, child or sibling.Merit:
After successfully completing twenty-six (26) pay periods, a 5% merit increase may be granted.Merit increases may be granted annually thereafter to the top step. Probation Period:
New employees remain in a probationary status for 26 pay periods.Longevity Incentives @ 2.5% for each of the following:
- 5.5 years (if hired before March 28, 2005)
- 6 years
- 10 years
- 15 years
- 20 years
- 25 years
:$50 per month for specific approved job classifications.Flexible Spending:
Pre-Tax Medical Reimbursement - Max contribution of $2,500 annuallyFlexible Spending:
Pre-Tax Dependent Care Account - Max contribution of $5,000 annuallySection 125 Plan
:Additional insurance is available through the Section 125 plan and may be purchased from arepresentative during open enrollment or by appointment when they are on-site.
Heart & Stroke Insurance
Universal Life Insurance
Short Term Disability Insurance
LEGALSHEILD CALPERS RETIREMENT INFORMATION: CalPERS:
CLASSIC MEMBERS: 2% at 55
PEPRA MEMBERS: 2% at 62Extra-Hire's will be enrolled into Public Agency Retirement System (PARS) unless you are already a member of CalPERS.
for Correctional Officer, Correctional Corporal, Correctional Sergeant and Deputy Probation Officer I/II/III.
CLASSIC MEMBERS: 3% at 50
PEPRA MEMBERS: 2.7% at 57Additional Retirement Plan:
The County offers a 457(b) Government plan. Employees can contribute to this deferred compensation plan (Pre-Tax
).The County currently utilizes VALIC.Participating employees will receive a County paid match of up to $50 a month.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous