CAREER DESCRIPTIONMEDICAL ASSISTANT - CORRECTIONAL HEALTH SERVICES
Please note we have a One Day Hiring Event for this position on Friday, January 19, 2024 from 8:30 am- 12:00 pm at our County Administration North building: 400 W. Civic Center Dr., Santa Ana, CA 92701. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online but will also be able to apply in person. Please feel free to share this opportunity with anyone who may be interested.
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective June 28, 2024 - 4.25% increase
Effective June 27, 2025 - 4.00% increase
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
This recruitment is being held to establish an Open Eligible List to fill current and future Medical Assistant
vacancies within Health Care Agency, Correctional Health Services. The eligible list established may also be used to fill similar classifications throughout the County of Orange. DEADLINE TO APPLY
This recruitment will remain open on a continuous basis for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 p.m. (PST)
on the day the needs of the County are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. THE AGENCY
The County of Orange , Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the leadership of the Agency Director, a dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of five (5) service areas - Strategy and Special Projects, Mental Health and Recovery Services, Correctional Health Services, Medical Health Services and Public Health Services - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community. CORRECTIONAL HEALTH SERVICES
The Correctional Health Services (CHS)
program is comprised of two separate entities. One is for the adult inmates and the other is for the juveniles. The Adult CHS program provides medical, dental, nursing, infection control, health education and pharmaceutical services at a community standard of care and provides mental health services including 24-hour emergency triage and crisis intervention, suicide prevention, treatment beds, individual and group therapy, substance use counseling, medication assessment and discharge planning to all adult inmates in the County's five (5) correctional facilities. The Juvenile Health Services program has two clinics-Juvenile Hall Health Clinic and Orangewood Family Health Clinic. THE OPPORTUNITY
The Medical Assistant
opportunity is focused in performing non-invasive routine technical support in correctional ambulatory care clinics and performing other job duties which include but are not limited to:
Candidates must attach to their application a current and valid Medical Assistant Certification by an institution or instructor authorized to provide Medical Assistant training pursuant to the standards established by the California Division of Licensing. This position also requires a valid certification as phlebotomist or certificate of completion of the course requirements for venipuncture and skin puncture and a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) - AHA healthcare provider card, by date of appointment. Please note, some positions may require availability to work night shifts. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
- Working with medical providers (onsite and telemedicine/telepsychiatry) and patients
- Filing, organizing and maintaining patient health records and medical applications
- Preparing and reviewing health records prior to medical exams
- Preparing inmate patients for examination by taking vital signs, performing Snellen exams, height/weight measurements, pregnancy screening and other data collection as needed
- Assisting OB/GYN provider with exams for routine pregnancy and women's health exams
- Assisting with intake and screening of new jail bookings
- Transcribing medical orders, and inputting data into Electronic Health Record (EHR) system
- Cleaning and stocking treatment areas
- Administering one-time doses of medication ordered by prescribers, including oral and injectable medications
- Performing venipuncture and collecting and preparing other lab specimens as ordered
- Performing electrocardiogram (EKG's), tuberculosis skin testing (PPD), blood glucose monitoring, and routine treatments
- Being able to lift, carry, push, and pull up to 50 pounds to carry "man down bag" while ascending or descending stairs or to transfer/turn patients
The ideal candidate must be able to work in varied clinical settings such as women's health, obstetrics and adult general practice. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the knowledge, skills and abilities that demonstrates the following competencies: Technical Knowledge | Technical Experience
Communication and Collaboration:
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines to protect client's confidential and sensitive healthcare information
- Using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook proficiently
- Electronic Health Records (EHR) systems
- Administering oral medications with accuracy
- Obtaining and documenting baseline vital signs, height and weight
- Collecting routine laboratory specimens, including but not limited to: blood and urine collection, pap smears, blood glucose testing and Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) lab screening
- Placing of PPD, obtaining EKG's, removing sutures and splints, performing ear lavage, dressing and caring for patient's wound and other routine treatments
- Maintaining treatment area and medical files accordingly
Adaptability and Safety:
- Communicating effectively and clearly both verbally and in writing
- Building and maintaining effective and collaborative working relationships with ACHS staff, Orange County Sheriff's Department personnel and other professional staff members
- Reporting patient's relevant medical information to nursing and medical staff efficiently
- Providing effective customer service when communicating in person or on the phone
- Being constantly aware of professional boundaries when communicating with patients
- Respecting background diversity when working with patients
- Working effectively in a changing and stressful environment, and making adjustments as necessary
- Demonstrating resiliency, tenacity and maintaining energy while continuously provide compassionate care to fulfill ACHS responsibilities
- Maintaining awareness of any environmental hazards while working inside the jail facility
- Being alert and aware of personal safety and security when assisting medical staff or providing care to medical and mental health patients at all times
- Candidates must possess valid Medical Assistant Certification by an institution or instructor authorized to provide Medical Assistant training pursuant to the standards established by the California Division of Licensing
- Candidates must possess a valid certification as phlebotomist or certificate of completion of the course requirements for venipuncture and skin puncture, by date of appointment
- Candidates are required to possess a current and valid Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification by the date of appointment
- Candidates must NOT have felony convictions or be on any form of probation
- Candidates are required to pass a comprehensive background investigation prior to a formal offer and acceptance of employment and maintain background investigation to the satisfaction of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner. Completing a Personal History Form, interviewing with a background investigator, fingerprinting and may include a polygraph test. Some of the areas considered in the background screening include prior convictions, traffic violations, drug use and credit problems, employment history, professional references and education verification (i.e. degree, license, or official transcripts. Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (N.A.C.E.S.))
- The Correctional facilities are a 24 hour, 7 day a week operation, incumbents must be able to work on weekends, evenings, night shifts and holidays
Please click here to view the minimum qualifications for the Medical Assistant classification as well as the physical requirements. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Will be required to work in a locked facility with adult inmates, and/or youth who are in protective custody/incarcerated youth, who have multiple and complex health, social and psycho-social needs; may work with inmates, or youth who have communicable diseases and/or behavioral health issues; may be assigned to evening or night shifts, assigned to work every other weekends, and work holidays as needed in these 24 hour, 7 day a week facilities and coverage is essential. The environment can also be noisy and at times chaotic, and will be exposed to profanity and/or anti-social behavior.There is a no hostage policy
for the Orange County Jail. RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
Human Resource Services (HRS) screens all applications to identify the qualified applicants for the position based on the skills required to meet the needs of the County. After the initial screening, the qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition. Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here to review the policy. Online Assessment (Unproctored)
| Multiple-Choice (Weighted 100%):
Applicants who meet desirable qualifications will be invited to participate in one or more job-related assessments. Applicants will be notified of their test date and access code, if applicable. Only the most qualified applicants will be placed on the eligible list. Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies
ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONPlease see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination and boosting as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted in accordance with applicable state orders . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason)
- In addition, depending on assignment and COVID-19 Community Level, workers in certain high-risk settings may be required to wear masks regardless of vaccination status.
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position. EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account. NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com . FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Click here for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Gazala Yerunkar
at (714) 834-3205 or GYerunkar@ochca.com .
EEO INFORMATIONOrange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
In addition to the County's standard suite of benefits, such as a variety of health plan options, annual leave and paid holidays--we also offer an excellent array of benefits such as a Health Care Reimbursement Account, 457 Defined Contribution Plan and Annual Education and Professional Reimbursement. Employees are provided a Retirement Plan through the Orange County Employees Retirement System (OCERS).
Please go to the following link to find out more about Defined Benefit Pensions and OCERS Plan Types/Benefits.
Click here for information about benefits offered to County of Orange employees.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous