Position Description This recruitment is opened until filled. First consideration will be given to candidates who apply by February 28, 2023. An online application including response to the supplemental questionnaire must be fully completed for consideration.
If you are interested in building a career with an innovative team of people notable for performing vital utilities services to Seattle communities, then this is the fit for you! This is an exciting opportunity to be our next Pump Station Electrician. Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is hiring multiple Pump Station Electrical Technicians [Electrical License NOT required] for SPU's Utility Operations & Maintenance Division. This position is responsible for operating and maintaining equipment such as: motors, starters, generators, lighting, heating, ventilation system, and telemetry/SCADA systems at SPU facilities. SPU facilities include water pumps, storage facilities, wastewater lift stations, solid waste transfer stations, and combined sewer overflow sites throughout King County. If you have a strong work ethic and the desire of continuous learning, then apply to this position! About Seattle Public Utilities:
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is a Community Centered Utility whose mission is to foster healthy people, environment, and economy by partnering with our community to equitably manage water and waste resources for today and future generations. We deliver high quality, vital services, across four major lines of business: providing water, solid waste, drainage and wastewater services for Seattle residents and businesses. In addition, SPU provides drinking water for 1.5 million regional customers in Seattle and other municipalities. Our customers depend on us to deliver high quality, reliable, and cost-conscious utility services and to achieve the highest benefits possible for every investment we make.
For more information about Seattle Public Utilities (SPU), please visit:
- SPU Workplace Expectations
- Strategic Business Plan
SPU commits to Our City Values and Race and Social Justice as core principles that guide our work. We actively take steps to dismantle systemic racism and increase service equity. We value diverse life experiences and strive to create a workplace that is welcoming to all. We take steps to be inclusive and equitable in our recruiting, hiring and promotional opportunities. Why join us?
We know work isn't only about what you do it’s also about who you work for and with! SPU provides a fun and family-friendly work environment that supports a work life balance, including:
- Eligible for overtime pay
- 10-hour shift, 4days per week
- Day shift with regular 40-hour work week
- Family-friendly and multicultural work environment
- Generous benefits package
- Free public transportation options
- City pension plan with employer/employee contributions
- Growth potential and advancement opportunities
- All tools and daily wear arc flash clothing provided
- Safety Training, License renewal and CEU's paid by SPU
- Repair and install electrical systems ranging from 12-volt DC to 4160-volt AC
- Maintain records, procure material, enter daily time and perform other computer-related work
- Provide input to update wiring diagrams, schematic, prints and as-builts
- Follow established NFPA 70E and other safety rules, National Electrical Code, and other guidelines.
Two (2) years journey level commercial, industrial or utility electrical experience. (Experience must be in a commercial, industrial or utility environment rather than residential.)License:
Must possess a Washington driver license prior to commencing employment.Desired Qualifications:
- Washington State Journey Level Electrical License
- Completion of an approved apprenticeship program is highly desired
- Experience with Maximo or other computer maintenance management systems
- Basic computer skills, including MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Experience with working with 4160-volt systems
- Knowledge of motor controls and ladder logic
- Possess excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work within the organizational framework of SPU Workplace Expectations including our values on Safety, Respect, Diversity, Trust, Humor, Productivity, Integrity, Innovation, and Partnership
- Ability to communicate and work effectively within a multi-cultural workforce serving a diverse customer base
- Valid First Aid Card
Additional Information Work Environment/Physical Demands
(successful candidate must be able to):
- Work outdoors in all weather conditions exposed to noise from motors, tools, generators, hazardous fumes, and near unsanitary live sewage.
- Work on and around potentially dangerous machinery and hazardous voltage in all conditions.
- Work in confined space, at heights up to 130 feet, and at depths up to 160 feet deep.
- Willingness to work extended shifts, nights, evenings, weekends, holidays, and be on-call 24/7 for emergencies.
- As a part of this application process, the most competitive candidates will be invited to take a written test, working test, and interview.
- If you are selected to advance in this hiring process, you may be asked to obtain a Full Washington Driver Abstract from the Department of Licensing. Please do not provide until requested.
- This hiring process involves a background check of conviction and arrest records in compliance with Seattle’s Fair Chance Employment Ordinance, SMC 14.17. Applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain or correct background information.
- SPU’s safety program requires a pre-employment medical assessment as a condition of employment in this position.
All City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Failure to submit proof of vaccination will result in withdrawal of a job offer. Who may apply:
The City of Seattle encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, veterans, and those with diverse life experience. This position is open to all qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications. The City of Seattle values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
The full salary range for this position is $ 44.76 - $ 48.37 per hour.
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at: https://www.seattle.gov/human-resources/benefits/employees-and-covered-family-members/most-employees-plans
The City of Seattle offers a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, holiday and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and their dependents.
More information about employee benefits is available on the City's website at:
"Most" Employees Plans - Human Resources | seattle.gov