Position/Program InformationEXAM NUMBER
H0829A-R TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job Opportunity FIRST DAY OF FILING
Tuesday, September 5, 2023 at 8:00 a.m. (PT) until the needs of the service
are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.
With more than 10 million residents, Los Angeles County is the most populous county in the nation. As the largest employer in Southern California, over 112,000 employees in more than 36 Departments provide vital public services as diverse as law enforcement, property assessment, public health protection, water conservation, cultural activities, and many more. About Our Department
The Executive Office performs a multi-functional support role in areas such as technology, staffing, procurement, and facilities resources, as well as the publication of information for the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors (the Board), various county departments, and the public. We are committed to providing excellent customer service to the Board and the people we serve in an efficient and friendly way.
County of Los Angeles is recruiting highly motivated and career-minded individuals to fill the position of Senior Analyst, CEO - Sustainability
. To view classification standards for the position, please click HERE .Check Out Our Outstanding Benefits!
The County of Los Angeles offers an excellent benefits package that includes a Cafeteria Benefit Plan, Contributory Defined Benefit Retirement Plan, Deferred Compensation & Thrift Plans, and 12 paid Holidays. Click here to see a list of employee benefits. The Opportunity
We are pursuing a qualified candidate to fill theSenior Analyst, CEO - Sustainability position within the Los Angeles County’s Board of Supervisors.
Under the direction of a Principal Analyst, CEO - Sustainability, assists the Chief Sustainability Office (CSO) to manage the County's Sustainability Plan.
Essential Job Functions
- Supports the development and implementation of strategic plans related to the County’s sustainability efforts (e.g., energy, water, air quality, climate, solid and hazardous waste, parks and open space, public health, environmental justice, economy, workforce development, social equity, urban ecology, biodiversity and other sustainability-related programs).
- Leads staff (e.g., subordinate analysts, clerical and administrative staff).
- Assists in leading the sustainability program and/or project and policy implementation as directed by the Board of Supervisors or upper management on various sustainability issues (e.g., energy, water, air quality, climate, solid and hazardous waste, parks and open space, public health, environmental justice, economy, workforce development, social equity, urban ecology, biodiversity and other sustainability-related programs).
- Analyzes financial studies related to sustainability efforts.
- Represents the Office of the Board of Supervisors’ Chief Sustainability Office (e.g., in various meetings, workshops and conferences) for internal and external stakeholders.
- Prepares and reviews a variety of documents and presentations (e.g., narrative and technical reports, plans, financial studies, budget, grant proposals, correspondences, Board letters, contracts, memoranda, media content) related to Sustainability issues (e.g., energy, water, air quality, climate, solid and hazardous waste, parks and open space, public health, environmental justice, economy, workforce development, social equity, urban ecology, biodiversity and other sustainability-related programs).
- Works collaboratively with County departments.
Requirements SPECIALTY REQUIREMENTS:
Three years of experience at the level of Analyst, CEO* analyzing and recommending solutions to problems in sustainability** (e.g. energy, climate, transportation, water quality and supply, solid and hazardous waste management, building and transportation decarbonization, clean technology, economic development, housing, and/or social/environmental equity). LICENSE:
A valid California Class C Drivers License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions. PHYSICAL CLASS:
Physical Class II - Light: This class includes administrative and clerical positions requiring light physical effort that may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit and some bending, stooping, or squatting. Considerable ambulation may be involved. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*Experience at the level of Analyst, CEO in the County of Los Angeles is gained by providing professional staff support [e.g. drafting reports/memos/talking points for interviews and meetings, doing research (reviewing policy proposals/white papers, meeting with stakeholders), doing cost/benefit analysis, stakeholder engagement, drafting and conducting presentations] to the head of an organization in the planning, coordination, direction, and implementation of a sustainability plan or policies.
**Analyzing and recommending solutions to problems in sustainability may include reviewing legislation or environmental reports, drafting policy proposals, attending or participating in meetings with advocacy or interest groups, and managing and evaluating data. No withholds are allowed in this examination.
Additional Information Our Assessment Process
Once we verify that you meet the Selection Requirements ,
we will invite you to take THREE (3)
assessments of the proficiencies required for this job. Part I:
Multiple choice and/or simulation assessments, weighted at 50%,
MULTIPLE CHOICE TESTS ARE NOT REVIEWABLE BY CANDIDATES PER CIVIL SERVICE RULE 7.19.Part II:
- Professional Potential
- Coping with Uncertainty
- Working to High Quality Standards
- Willingness to Learn
- Maintaining Good Working Relationships
- Analyzing Information
- Learning Quickly
- Generating New Ideas
- Using Time Efficiently
- Adapting to Change
- Reading Comprehension
An evaluation of training and experience, weighted at 30%,
- Professional Technical Knowledge of:
- Laws, Rules and Regulations pertaining to sustainability efforts
- Foundational concepts of sustainability including sustainable and equitable development and fundamental socio-ecological concepts and principles
- Understanding of public policy development and its application to supporting sustainability plans
Relationship Building Community Focus CANDIDATES MUST ACHIEVE A PASSING SCORE OF 70% OR HIGHER ON THE COMBINED SCORES FOR PART I AND PART II IN ORDER TO PROCEED TO PART III - WRITING ASSESSMENT.Part III:
A writing assessment, weighted 20%,
assessing English Structure and Content, Written Expression, and Prioritizing Information.CANDIDATES MUST MEET THE REQUIREMENTS AND ACHIEVE A PASSING SCORE OF 70% OR HIGHER ON PART III IN ORDER TO BE PLACED ON THE ELIGIBLE REGISTER.
Multiple Choice and/or Simulation Assessment scores cannot be given over the phone. IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Please add the below email addresses to your email address book and list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as spam/junk/clutter mail.
Los Angeles County will not accept claims of not receiving assessment invitations as a reason for a reschedule. Transfer of Test Components
- Applicants who have taken identical components recently for other exams may have their responses automatically transferred to this examination.
- This examination contains components that may be used in the future for new examinations and your test responses may be transferred.
Study guides and other test preparation resources are available to help candidates prepare for employment tests. While the guides will help you in preparing for the test, we advise you to review all related materials that you deem necessary.
- An interactive, Online Test Preparation System for taking practice tests may be accessed on the Department of Human Resources website at http://hr.lacounty.gov/ . Please click on "Find A Job" and then "Job Search Toolkit." Test preparation information is located under the "Employment Test Assistance" section.
- Additional online practice tests are available at https://www.shldirect.com/en-us/practice tests/ .
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation. Vacancy Information
The resulting eligible register will be used to fill a vacancy at the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors as they occur. Available Shift
Any Application and Filing Information
Applications must be submitted online only. We must receive your application before 5:00 p.m., PT, on the last day of filing . Applications submitted by U.S. Mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" green button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
Plan to submit your online application well in advance of the deadline as you may be required to verify your email address. This only needs to be done once per email address, and if you already have a job seeker account on governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty , you can verify at any time by logging in and following the prompts. This is to enhance the security of your online application and to ensure you do not enter an incorrect email address.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the SELECTION REQUIREMENTS
. Provide any relevant job experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.
Any additional documents, if any, must be received at the time of filing or within seven (7) calendar days from the last day of application filing.
Note: If you are unable to attach documentation to your online application, you may email it to firstname.lastname@example.org . Please ensure to reference your attachment by writing your full name, examination title, and examination number on the subject of your email. Important Note
All information included in the application materials is subject to verification at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment. Utilizing verbiage from Class Specification and Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties will not be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an incomplete application and you may be disqualified. No Sharing of User ID and Password
We want you to have your own
user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's account may erase an applicant's original application record. Do you have a computer and internet access?
Computer and Internet Access at Public Libraries: For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County. Anti-Racism, Diversity, and Inclusion (ARDI)
The County of Los Angeles recognizes and affirms that all people are created equal and are entitled to all rights afforded by the Constitution of the United States. The Department of Human Resources is committed to promoting Anti-racism, Diversity, and Inclusion efforts to address the inequalities and disparities amongst race. We support the ARDI Strategic Plan and its goals by improving equality, diversity, and inclusion in recruitment, selection, and employment practices. Testing Accommodation
If you require an accommodation to fairly compete in any part of the assessment process, you will be given the opportunity to make a request when completing your application. Please note, you may be required to submit documentation from a qualified medical provider or other qualified professional to support your request for a testing accommodation.Testing Accommodations Coordinator:
TestingAccommodations@hr.lacounty.gov California Relay Services Phone:
(800) 899-4099 Have any questions about anything listed above? Please contact:
Department Contact Name:
Department Contact Phone:
Department Contact Email:
For detailed information, please click here
Closing Date/Time: Continuous