The Position The City of Portland is seeking Facilities Maintenance Technicians! (The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies) People hired into this position must possess a State of Oregon Limited Maintenance Electricians (LME) license or higher because of their work with existing electrical systems. About the Position:
: Various shifts depending on position/Bureau. This may include on-call work
In person work required, various locations throughout the City of Portland
Please check our benefits tab for an overview of benefits for this position
This classification is represented by the District Council of Trade Unions (DCTU). To view this labor agreement, please go to https://www.portland.gov/bhr/employee-relations/labor-relations/labor-agreements and click on the appropriate link. Applicants not currently employed by the City of Portland start at the entry salary rate. If you are a DCTU represented employee, see labor agreement for additional information or talk to your union representative.
Application Material: Please click APPLY to submit your application via the City of Portland’s online portal. You will need respond to the supplemental questions and attach a resume. Update application materials if needed.
The Facilities Maintenance Technician performs preventative maintenance and repair of heating, cooling, ventilation systems, household appliances, and other building equipment such as lights, and plumbing. Work requires familiarity with building heating systems to recognize operating conditions that may lead to breakdown or inefficient operation. The work also involves performing minor building maintenance tasks requiring a variety of mechanical skills. Candidates will have a strong commitment to safety and OSHA standards.Typical Duties/Examples of Work:
Office of Management and Finance Positions:
- Performs preventive maintenance to plumbing, electrical, mechanical systems and related system components; tests systems’ competency and devices, and evaluates performance; participates in developing preventative maintenance plans.
- Repairs and replaces plumbing, electrical, mechanical systems and system components, including sensors and related hardware and software.
- Maintains induction and air handling units; cleans and inspects all equipment; maintains and services refrigeration units.
- Estimates and evaluates project costs; identifies repair and maintenance projects requiring the assistance of contractors or vendors; describes work to be performed, solicits cost estimates and evaluates cost for projects valued at less than prescribed limits; manages the selected contractor’s or vendor’s work and recommends final payment; assists in the review of new construction or remodel plans to assure compliance with facility maintenance standards.
- Review new construction or remodel plans to ensure compliance of specification and standards; monitors work of vendors.
- Repairs and maintains facilities structures; performs minor repairs to building plumbing, low-voltage, and line voltage electric systems, door hardware, fire, life and safety protection equipment/ systems, sprinkler systems, irrigation lines; constructs and maintains indoor/outdoor recreational facilities, fans, lights and related; conducts structural inspections for safety.
- Repairs and maintains small, motorized equipment and engines.
- Responds to emergency calls; monitors and evaluates need for additional assistance; provides technical assistance and makes recommendations; may serve as lead; performs related duties as assigned.
Under the general direction of the Building Maintenance Supervisor, the Building/Facilities Maintenance Technician performs preventive maintenance and repair of heating, cooling, ventilation systems, and other building equipment such as lighting, plumbing, and electrical. Work is performed throughout the city in a variety of office types, including public settings with a focus on customer service. Successful candidates must have experience with building heating systems to recognize operating conditions that may lead to breakdown or inefficient operation, as well as performing building maintenance tasks requiring a variety of mechanical skills and the ability to utilize smart phones and tablets to operate HVAC equipment and track preventative maintenance schedules. An ideal candidate for the Office of Management and Finance-Facilities
will have familiarity with direct digital controls and building automation systems as well as Backflow certification.Fire & Rescue Positions:
As a Facilities Maintenance Technician for Fire & Rescue you will perform preventative maintenance and repair of heating, cooling, ventilation systems, household appliances, and other building equipment such as lights, plumbing, and office furniture. Work requires familiarity with building heating systems to recognize operating conditions that may lead to breakdown or inefficient operation. The work also involves performing minor building maintenance tasks requiring a variety of mechanical skills. Basic knowledge of appliance repair, such as clothes washer, dryer, dish washer, ovens, cook tops, and refrigerators is required. Ability to input and/or retrieve data from computer programs and applications. The current vacancy's are in both Portland Fire & Rescue and the Office of Management & Finance - Facilities. Work Location
This position will work on-site at various City of Portland locations. Questions?
Karen Ehn, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human Resources
To Qualify Applicants must specifically address and demonstrate in their supplemental question responses and work history or résumé how their education, training and/or experience, meets each of the following minimum qualifications:
Experience performing repair and replacement of facilities electrical components.Experience with building/facility maintenance hazards and safety precautions, including applicable OSHA standards.Knowledge of installation, maintenance and repair of HVAC and refrigeration systems including the operation of chillers, fan systems and pumps.Knowledge of the principles of building maintenance or repair.Knowledge of installation, maintenance, and/or repair of plumbing systems.Knowledge of building/facility automated control systems or components. Applicant must also possess:
- Possession of an Oregon Limited Maintenance Electricians License (LME) or higher Oregon electrical license, at the time of appointment.
- A valid state driver's license and an acceptable driving record at the time of appointment.
- Ability to pass pre-employment physical examination after an offer of employment has been made and accepted.
- Ability to pass a criminal history check and/or background investigation to allow for unescorted access to restricted facilities.
The Recruitment Process STEP 1: Apply online beginning September 4, 2023. This position is open until filled. Required Application Materials:
Optional Application Materials:
- Answer to the Supplemental Questions (click on the Questions tab to preview the questions)
- Veteran documents to request for Veteran Preference (ex, DD214-Member 4, VA Benefit Letter, etc)
Do not attach any additional documents. Please note, all completed applications for this position must be submitted no later than on the closing date and time of this recruitment. All applications must be submitted via the City's online application process. Do not attach materials not requested
. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted. Step 2: Minimum Qualification Evaluation: weekly throughout the course of the recruitment.
Step 3: Establishment of Eligible List: every 2 weeks as candidates qualify
- An evaluation of each applicant's training and paid and unpaid experience, as demonstrated in their resume and supplemental questions, weighted 100%.
- Your résumé and responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
Step 4: Selection (Interview): ongoing
- Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list.
Step 5: Offer of Employment: varies
- Hiring bureau will review and select candidates for an interview
- Please note, the selection process may take up to 90 days from the notification of being placed on the eligible list.
Step 6: Start Date: varies
- Salary Range/Equity Pay Analysis step
*Timeline is approximate and subject to change.
- A start date will be determined after all conditions of employment have been met.
Additional Information Click here for additional information regarding the following:
Did you know? The City of Portland has How to Apply Videos
- Veteran Preference
- ADA, Pregnancy, and Religious Accommodations
- Work Status
- Equal Employment Opportunity
and offers How to Apply Classes
once per month. If you have questions after watching the videos you are invited to contact the recruiter listed on the announcement. An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer A Career with the City of Portland offers many Employee Benefits
We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including but not limited to
AND SO MANY MORE!
- Health Care (Medical, Vision and Dental)
- Carrot Fertility
- Wellness Benefits
- Life Insurance
- Short- and Long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families.
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Oregon Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), includingcontributions to the PERS IAP plan paid by employer
- Family Medical Leave
- City Paid Parental Leave
Benefits may vary depending on bargaining unit and employment status. Click here to review the many different benefits the City of Portland offers .
Closing Date/Time: 12/11/2023 11:59 PM Pacific