This is an opportunity to apply engine mechanical skills and knowledge in an industrial setting. The position offers great benefits and job security in a unionized environment. Career Progression from Industrial Maintenance Mechanic to Master Industrial Maintenance MechanicIndustrial Maintenance Mechanic- $34.9769-$44.3354Master Industrial Maintenance Mechanic-$40.3226-$48.7470
Work in a team setting where it is rewarding and challenging, great benefits and a positive company culture. Employees working at West Point contribute to the environmental stewardship of their local community while also enjoying a healthy work-life balance
Employee will be involved in a variety of work ranging from small individual projects to major pump repairs. Who is eligible to apply : This position is open to all qualified candidates. First consideration will be given to S.E.I.U. 925 (Wastewater Treatment Division) internal candidates.
This posting may be used to establish a list of qualified candidates for any Career Service, Special Duty Assignment or Term Limited Temporary openings in the following six months.
Potential qualified candidates may still submit their application materials in case no internal qualified candidates are considered for this position.
- Maintain, repair, troubleshoot and overhaul a variety of complex machinery.
- Install, repair, maintain and design piping and plumbing systems for sewage, water, gases, chemicals and solids using appropriate materials. Install, design and fabricate a variety of metal fixtures including vents, air ducts, doors, louvers, containers, equipment covers, machinery bases and support members
- Design, fabricate and repair plant piping, equipment guards and bases using welding equipment, metal inert and tungsten inert gases, arc, cutting, torch and plasma cutter and plastic welder
- Plan equipment repairs using blueprints, engineering drawings, computer-aided design, Maintenance Information Management System (MIMS), operations and maintenance manuals, vendor data, catalogs, internet or intranet information, work with Computer-Aided Design (CAD) personnel to provide as-built drawings to facilitate parts and material ordering, equipment assembly and modifications
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Work Location: West Point Treatment Plant - 1400 Discovery Park Blvd, Seattle, WA 98199
- Work Schedule: T his position is covered under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is overtime eligible. This full-time position works a 40-hour work week.
- Union Representation: This position is represented by S.E.I.U. 925 (Wastewater Treatment Division).
Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
Licensing, Certification and Other Requirements
- Knowledge of the mechanical maintenance trade which is typically found in two years of working experience as a millwright or related occupation which includes a broad scope of mechanical maintenance responsibilities.
- Knowledge of the application of plumbing techniques and principles;
- Knowledge of all types of welding techniques and principles including flat position welding;
- Knowledge of the use of vibration analysis techniques, measurements, test equipment and software in troubleshooting and/or maintaining rotating machinery;
- Knowledge of the application of pump/motor overhaul techniques and principles.
- Knowledge of packing, bearings, and mechanical seals;
- Knowledge of in reading schematic drawings.
- Knowledge of the use and care of power and hand tools and their safe operation;
- Basic knowledge of carpentry techniques to build supports for the repair and overhaul of machinery.
- Knowledge of safety procedures associated with handling hazardous materials.
- Knowledge of using an automated maintenance work order system;
- Knowledge and demonstrated skill in using a computer and associated software.
- Knowledge of the application of lubrication principles and techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of troubleshooting equipment, machinist measuring techniques and tools and the operation of mills, lathes and drill press.
- Excellent oral and written communication techniques and principles;
- Able to apply these skills in reading, writing, and following oral and written instructions.
- Skill in working with a diverse group of individuals in varying occupations and varying skill levels.
- Skill in working in a team environment.
Washington State Driver's License
Additional licenses, certifications and other requirements determined to be necessary to meet the business needs of the employing unit may be required
The position requires the ability to work all shift schedules and required to report to work during adverse and inclement weather conditions
Incumbents perform field work at a wastewater treatment plant and associated facilities and are required to lift and carry equipment weighing up to 50 pounds, work in confined spaces, climb in and out of tanks using ladders, and work around noxious odors and high noise levels
- Action Oriented - Identifies and seizes new opportunities; Displays a can-do attitude in good and bad times; Steps up to handle tough issues
- Manages Ambiguity - Deals comfortably with the uncertainty of change; Is calm and productive, even when things are up in the air; Deals constructively with the problems that do not have clear solutions or outcomes
- Collaborates - Works cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives; Partners with others to get work done; Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments; Gains trust and support of others
- Communicates Effectively - Is effective in a variety of communication settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, or among diverse styles and position levels; Attentively listens to others; Provides timely and helpful information to others across the organization
- Manages Complexity - Asks the right questions to accurately analyze situations; Uncovers root causes to difficult problems; Evaluates pros and cons, risks and benefits of different solution options
- Decision Quality - Makes sound decisions, even in the absence of complete information; Considers all relevant factors and uses appropriate decision-making criteria and principles
- Being Resilient - Is confident under pressure; Handles and manages crises effectively; Maintains a positive attitude despite adversity; Bounces back from setbacks; Grows from hardships and negative experiences
Application and Selection Process:
Application materials will be screened for clarity, completeness including online application, cover letter and resume, and responses to the list of qualifications, skills, and abilities. The most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in one or more panel interviews. Applications without the following required materials may not be considered for this position
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
- King County Application
- Cover Letter (optional)
- Resume (optional)
- Responses to Supplemental Questions
Supplemental Information Forbes named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North"
, we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles - we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.To Apply
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact the recruiter listed on this job announcement.