Position/Program Information Official Payroll Title
Application Developer II REPOSTING
This job posting is being reposted to accept applications on a continuous basis until the needs of service are met. When to Apply
September 11, 2023, 8:00 AM (PT)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service
are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. Exam Number
R2521A-R Type of Recruitment
Open Competitive Job Opportunity Who are we looking for?
We are recruiting highly motivated career-minded individuals to fill the position of Software Engineer. For a full description of the position, please click HERE
We invite you to explore the possibility of joining a team who will turn challenges into opportunities and share the future of public sector IT!
With more than 10 million residents, Los Angeles County is the most populous county in the nation. As the largest employer in Southern California, over 112,000 employees in more than 38 departments provide vital public services as diverse as law enforcement, property assessment, public health protection, water conservation, cultural activities and many more.
We are dedicated professionals committed to preserving the dignity and integrity of the workplace as well as protecting the rights of each employee. With more than 2,300 different job descriptions, the County offers a lifetime of opportunities and careers! We offer one of the strongest public-sector benefits packages in the nation. Join us and discover a rich selection of healthcare options, robust retirement plans, and the flexibility to work, relax, and rejuvenate in order to reach your fullest personal and professional potential. Check Out Our Outstanding Benefits! Click here to see a list of employee benefits.
Essential Job Functions
- Analyzes, designs, develops, tests, debugs, installs, and deploys application software programs by applying software/application development concepts in order to create/maintain/modify new or existing business applications and interfaces according to user stories requirements and program specifications in the application development environments.
- Participates in gathering software requirements and develops requirement specifications, user stories, functional and technical design specifications, user manuals, and/or release notes by collaborating with stakeholders.
- Develops and supports front-end software applications including the areas of user interfaces, mobility, business intelligence and reporting, and enterprise content management by utilizing various development tools.
- Develops and supports middle-tier software applications including the areas of web services application integration, business process management, business rules, API governance, and application security by utilizing various development tools.
- Develops and supports back-end software applications in the areas of data integration and data replication, data modeling, data security, artificial intelligence/machine learning, and database management by utilizing various developmental tools.
- Develops and/or supports tools and automation processes including the areas of release management, configuration management, source control, and operational support by utilizing various developmental tools.
- Performs unit, functional, integration, automated system and/or performance testing for new, modified or existing complex software applications by utilizing various test tools.
- Provides support pertaining to application issues in various environments (e.g., development, quality assurance, training, production) by investigating, troubleshooting, and resolving application function problems.
- Researches application development tools and methodologies by utilizing various reference tools in order to provide recommendations to departmental management team for improving software.
We are looking for dedicated individuals who meet the following requirement:
Two (2) years of recent experience within the last five years analyzing, designing, evaluating, developing, coding, testing, and maintaining application systems.
If you served in the military and were honorably discharged, you may qualify for Veteran's Credit. We will need a copy of your form DD214 to review, so please include that with your application. License
A valid California Class C Driver's License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions. Physical Class II - Light
. This class includes administrative and clerical positions requiring light physical effort that may include occasional light lifting to a 10-pound limit and some bending, stooping, or squatting. Considerable ambulation may be involved.
Additional Information Our Assessment Process
This examination will consist of TWO (2) parts: Part I:
M ultiple choice and/or simulation assessment(s), weighted 40%
- Deductive Reasoning
- Professional Potential
- Maintaining Good Working Relationships
- Analyzing Information
- Learning Quickly
- Generating New Ideas
- Using Time Efficiently
- Working to High Quality Standards
- Adapting to Change
- Coping with Uncertainty
- Willingness to Learn
Candidates may be invited to participate in both Part I and II. However, only those that achieve a passing score of 70% or higher in Part I, will have Part II scored. Part II:
M ultiple choice and/or simulation assessment(s), weighted 60%
MULTIPLE CHOICE AND/OR SIMULATION ASSESSMENTS ARE NOT REVIEWABLE BY CANDIDATES PER CIVIL SERVICE RULE 7.19. APPLICANTS MUST MEET THE REQUIREMENTS AND ACHIEVE A PASSING SCORE OF 70% OR HIGHER ON EACH PART OF THE EXAMINATION IN ORDER TO BE PLACED ON THE ELIGIBLE LIST. Please Note
- Programming Concepts
- Automata Pro
Test Invitation Letters and other correspondence will be sent electronically to the e-mail address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid e-mail address. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org , and email@example.com to your e-mail address book and/or list of approved senders to prevent e-mail notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail.
Notice of Non-Acceptance and Final Result letters will be sent electronically to your e-mail address. Test scores cannot be given over the telephone. Test Preparation
Study guides and other test preparation resources are available to help candidates prepare for employment tests. While the guides will help you prepare for the test, we advise you to review all related materials that you deem necessary.
- An interactive, Online Test Preparation System for taking practice tests may be accessed on the Department of Human Resources website at http://hr.lacounty.gov/ . Please click on "Find A Job" and then "Job Search Toolkit." Test preparation information is located under the "Employment Test Assistance" section.
- Additional online practice tests are available at https://www.shldirect.com/en-us/practice-tests
Please note that these resources are intended to provide general information about the types of tests and assessments used by the County of Los Angeles. These resources do not contain details of the exam nor the specific questions you will be asked to answer during the test administration. The exam content section describes the areas assessed by the test and you are invited to study and review whatever material you believe will help you to prepare. Transfer of Test Components
- Applicants who have taken identical test components recently for other exams may have their responses automatically transferred to this examination.
- T his examination contains test components that may be used in the future for new examinations and your test responses may be transferred.
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of 12 months from the date of the promulgation.
Applications will be processed on an as-received basis and promulgated to the register of eligible candidates accordingly. Vacancy Information
The resulting eligible register will be used to fill vacancies throughout various Los Angeles County departments as they occur. How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online only. We must receive your application BEFORE 5:00 p.m. (PT) on the last day of filing. Applications submitted by U.S. Mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted.
Plan to submit your online application well in advance of the 5:00 p.m. (PT) deadline on the last day of filing as you may be required to verify your email address. This only needs to be done once per email address, and if you already have a job seeker account on governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty, you can verify at any time by logging in and following the prompts. This is to enhance the security of your online application and to ensure you do not enter an incorrect email address.
Apply online by clicking the green "Apply" button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website. Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the requirements to qualify. Provide any relevant job experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application and/or supplemental questionnaire is incomplete, it will be rejected. Important :
Please note that all information included in the application materials is subject to verification at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment. Utilizing verbiage from the Class Specification and Requirements serving as your description of duties will not be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the Requirements. Doing so may result in an incomplete application and you may be disqualified.
___________________________________________________________________________ Anti-Racism, Diversity, and Inclusion (ARDI)
The County of Los Angeles recognizes and affirms that all people are created equal and are entitled to all rights afforded by the Constitution of the United States. The Department of Human Resources is committed to promoting Anti-racism, Diversity, and Inclusion efforts to address the inequalities and disparities amongst race. We support the ARDI Strategic Plan and its goals by improving equality, diversity, and inclusion in recruitment, selection, and employment practices. Computer and Internet Access at Public Libraries
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.
No Sharing of User ID and Password
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. Testing Accommodation
If you require an accommodation to fairly compete in any part of the assessment process, you will be given the opportunity to make a request when completing your application. Please note, you may be required to submit documentation from a qualified medical provider or other qualified professional to support your request for a testing accommodation. California Relay Services Phone:
Testing Accommodations Coordinator:
Alternate Teletype Phone:
Department Contact Name: James Cheung
Department Contact Phone:
Department Contact Email:
For detailed information, please click here
Closing Date/Time: Continuous