Description The City of Palo Alto Utilities
Palo Alto is the only city in California that offers a full array of utility services to its citizens and businesses. Because of this, the City has a unique opportunity to partner with the Palo Alto community to enjoy the benefits and achievements of reliable, home-grown, and environmentally-focused utilities. Palo Alto has a tradition of over 100 years of successful public utility operations. It is a tradition that continues to provide the Palo Alto community with safe and reliable utilities service, local decision-making over policies, utility rate-making, environmental programs, and customized services. The Position
The City of Palo Alto Utilities Water, Gas, Wastewater (WGW) Engineering division is responsible for designing and biding major Capital Improvement Plans for the City's water, gas and wastewater utilities. The Engineering Technician III plays a major part in ensuring the database is accurate, packaging and reviewing archived as-built documents, drafting the replacement drawings and assisting the Engineers with the bidding process.
This position is in the Asset Management group of Utilities. The successful candidate will be responsible for day-to-day tasks of maintaining and continuously updating a database of WGW utility assets, conducting field verification and/or collecting GPS survey data of existing utility features, researching as-built information from record drawings, indexing as-built drawings into department’s document management application, mapping utility information in GIS database, and assisting Engineers with other functions on various projects as needed. The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have:
This position is part of the Service Employees' International Union (SEIU).
- Advanced knowledge in AutoCAD, utilizing Autodesk Map 3D Enterprise (AME) and knowledge using ESRI Geographic Information System (GIS).
- Experience in drafting complex utility pipeline replacement design drawings.
- Understanding of Water, Gas, or Wastewater utility distribution systems.
- Ability to utilize GPS surveying equipment for documenting and mapping utility pipelines.
First review of application will take place on October 6th, 2023 with future reviews being done every three weeks.
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs design, manual and computer-aided drafting, calculations, field measurements, and cost estimating for civil engineering projects.
- Draws and revises City maps, plans, block books and plats.
- Provides construction administration of engineering projects.
- Processes street opening permits, encroachment permits, grading permits and all other permits issued by the Department.
- Prepares legal descriptions and easement maps.
- Reviews building plans, parcel and subdivision maps.
- Provides routine technical services to other departments and the public.
- Performs various landfill monitoring and inspection duties.
- Administers assessment district proceedings including preparation of bond rolls and segregation of costs.
- Prepares engineering construction drawings with material lists and specifications for use in bidding and construction. Prepares drawings, illustrations, and specifications for projects from preliminary design to final construction stage.
- Makes on-site field trips as required to review existing conditions or to check previous installations against as-built drawings.
- Assures that all presentation material directed for division, City management, and City Council review is professionally complete and factual.
To review full Job Description Click Here.
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities which would typically be acquired through:
- Two years college with emphasis on engineering, construction, design, technical illustration or associated subjects.
- Two years office and field engineering/construction experience.
Benefits: Fantastic benefits package, to learn more click HERE .
- Possession of a valid California Driver's License.
Compensation (SEIU): Comprehensive compensation plan, to learn more click HERE. Vaccination Status: The City of Palo Alto recently implemented a COVID19 vaccination policy, which requires employees reporting to work onsite to be vaccinated or regularly tested. Upon your start date, you will be asked your COVID19 vaccination status. If vaccinated, we will ask to see a copy of your vaccination card. A member of our Benefits team will explain the policy in more detail once onboarded.
The City of Palo Alto is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. This is a Service Employees' International Union (SEIU) position.The City of Palo Alto offers its employees a generous benefit package, featuring family medical coverage, retirement, life insurance, plus 12 paid holidays per year.
- Participation in a Governmental 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Fully paid employee and dependent Dental Plan
- Fully paid employee and dependent Vision Plan
- Fully paid Life and AD&D insurance equal to annual salary
- Flat Rate City paid medical contribution which may allow employees to select a fully paid health plan
- Fully paid Life Insurance equal to one-times annual salary
- Voluntary Supplemental Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability plan
- 12 annual paid holidays
- Two to five weeks vacation annually depending on years of service per MOA
- 96 hours annual sick leave
- Direct Deposit
- Flexible Spending Account for Healthcare and Childcare expenses
Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS)
- 2% at60 formula for Classic Employees
- One-year final compensation for 2% at 60 employees
- 2% at 62 formula for New CalPers Members
- Three-year final compensation for 2% at 62 employees only
- Retiree Medical benefits for employee and dependents after 10 years of service
Please note: The City does not participate in CA State Disability Insurance (SDI) or Social Security.Since they City does not participate in SDI, City employees are not eligible to claim against the State's Pregnancy Disability Leave or Paid Family Leave programs.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous