Description: Job Summary
The IT Support Technician delivers outstanding customer service and support for technology installed in university classrooms and for staff computers, printers and peripherals. Incumbents analyze and diagnose user needs, make recommendations and quickly resolve problems; ensure assigned systems and services are properly maintained and fully operational; prepare and deliver effective documentation, presentations and training to a variety of end users; and proactively look for systematic improvements and opportunities to optimize workflows. Department Summary
Information Technology Services (ITS) is a fast-moving team that is responsible for helping Cal Poly achieve academic excellence through developing and implementing learning, teaching, and administrative solutions which leverage technology that align with strategic goals and objectives. With a focus on continuous improvement, ITS fosters innovation, supports continuous learning, and develops people to their full potential. Our team of more than 100 professionals works in a dev/ops environment to shape the technology landscape at Cal Poly. Key Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Demonstrated ability to translate technological solutions into terms understandable by a variety of users; demonstrated ability to work with technical and non-technical staff to identify user requirements and translate them into technology-based solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to research and evaluate new technologies and software to meet user needs and to use creative problem-solving skills and apply effective technical solutions.
- Ability to apply campus information security policy and standards to develop specific security requirements. Ability to apply security models and frameworks to ensure appropriate security is maintained.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to prepare and deliver formal and informal documentation, presentations, and training to a variety of end users.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Bachelor's degree and two years of relevant experience
- Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for up to two years of required education on a year-for-year basis
Anticipated Hiring Range: $70,000 - $85,000 per year
Classification Range: $56,136 - $138,564 per yearCal Poly
Known for its Learn by Doing pedagogy, Cal Poly is the flagship of the world-renowned California State University system. Annually recognized as one of the top public universities in the nation, Cal Poly continues to offer an academic curriculum based on learned experience gained through real-world practice. Located in San Luis Obispo, Cal Poly is nestled comfortably among the coastal foothills, minutes from the Pacific Ocean and equidistant to the Bay Area and Los Angeles.
Cal Poly offers a best-in-class benefits program, including health, dental and vision insurance, retirement participation in the Public Employees' Retirement System, and educational benefits for eligible employees. See our benefits website for additional information. Diversity Statement
At Cal Poly, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.
Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. Cal Poly is an equal opportunity employer. Supplemental Information
Following a conditional offer of employment, a background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate may start work with Cal Poly. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may result in the withdrawal of the offer of employment. Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo is not a sponsoring agency for staff positions (i.e. H1-B visas). Positions are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled