The City of Riverside is accepting applications for the position of Principal Network Engineer
to fill one (1) vacancy in the Network Division
of the Innovation and Technology Department.
The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for up to six (6) months.
The ideal candidate will possess a very high-level networking knowledge and ability. The candidate would be expected to be a subject matter expert (SME) of Layer 2 and Layer 3 network protocols including (but not limited to):
- iBGP and eBGP (e.g., AS numbers, communities, prefix lists)
- OSPF (e.g., area configuration and route prioritization)
- Spanning Tree (root priority and priority configurations)
Under general direction, a Principal Innovation and Technology Analyst will perform a variety of complex professional, technical and analytical duties in the areas of programming, testing, troubleshooting, installation, implementation, documentation and maintenance of assigned systems, databases, programs and applications; act as a specialized project manager or act in a supervisory capacity over the Innovation & Technology Analysts; and perform other duties as assigned.
Principal Network Engineer is a working title. The actual job classification is *Principal Innovation and Technology Analyst
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform highly complex system analysis and consultation in the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of information systems, networks, servers, supporting hardware and software applications in a highly specialized technical area.
- Provide supervision over Innovation & Technology Analysts.
- Provide advanced technical assistance to system users in accordance with applicable information systems policies, procedures, methods and techniques.
- Evaluate, plan, implement and integrate new systems and current system upgrades.
- Review highly complex technical reports submitted by staff.
- Perform project management duties on specialized systems projects.
- Perform research, gather costing information, vendor quotes and recommend hardware and software based on current or new City standards.
- Develop and produce system documentation, instructional, procedural manuals and systems architectural design.
- Coordinate training for client users on assigned systems, applications, or other special projects.
- Work with administration and propose enhancements to improve services, policies, and procedures.
- Apply strong written and oral presentation skills when working directly with other Analysts or end users of varying technical ability and/or knowledge.
- Maintain effective and professional relationships with vendors and their technical support personnel.
Qualifications Option I
Education: Equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or closely related field.
Experience: Five years of full-time work experience in computer science, information systems, voice/data communications, data center operations, database administration or a related field, of which two years were at the project management or supervisory level.Option II
Education: Equivalent to an Associate's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or closely related field.
Experience: Seven years of full-time work experience in computer science, information systems, voice/data communications, data center operations, database administration or a related field, of which two years were at the project management or supervisory level.Option III
Education: High School graduation or satisfactory equivalent (GED).
Experience: Nine years of full-time work experience in computer science, information systems, voice/data communications, data center operations, database administration or a related field, of which two years were at the project management or supervisory level.Necessary Special Requirements:
- Possession of an appropriate, valid, class "C" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
Highly Desired Qualifications:
- When assigned to the Police Department, must be able to successfully pass an extensive police background.
- 4 or more years of direct configuration, deployment and operational experience with:
- VMware NSX/ Dell VxRail for multiple data centers locations
- large multi-site network infrastructure from either Cisco to Aruba hardware and services
- next generation firewall administration, configuration, and cyber-security best practices
- wireless network configuration and operational experience with either Aruba or Cisco/Meraki wireless access points and controllers.
- 4 or more years of direct configuration, deployment and operational experience:
- supporting multiple network connectivity types, including but not limited to, dark fiber, Metro-Ethernet, MPLS, etc.
- working on a highly available network running mixed routing protocols including EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, and EVPN
- Current ACSP (Aruba) or CCNP (Cisco) or higher network certifications.
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION: 1)
Completed Employment Application2)
Completed Supplemental Questionnaire FOR GENERAL INFORMATION ON COMPLETING YOUR ON-LINE APPLICATION, CLICK HERE: ( Application Guide).
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.