The City of Huntington Beach is currently in negotiations with our bargaining units to offer a 4/10 work week and a hybrid schedule option. Additionally, the ability to participate in a pet insurance program will be available as of January 1, 2024.
The next review of applications is now scheduled to occur for applications received before 10:00 am on November 20, 2023 . This recruitment may close at any time after that date, once a sufficiently strong candidate pool has been established. (updated 11/14/23) NOTE:
This posting is a job series in which applications will be accepted, reviewed, and considered based on the qualifications listed on the application. The candidates that meet the minimum qualifications and best meet the City's current needs will be invited to test at the appropriate job level within the series. Only ONE APPLICATION needs to be submitted to be considered for this job series. SALARY RANGE:
Senior Finance Analyst : $94,151 - $126,172 annually
Principal Finance Analyst : $101,953 - $136,626 annually
Here in Huntington Beach, we believe passionately that the key to becoming the best beach City in the world starts and ends with finding the right people to join our team. At this time, we have an outstanding career opportunity available, as we're looking for the "right person" to serve as Senior Finance Analyst
or Principal Finance Analyst
with the Finance
First and foremost, the City is seeking an individual who has an unwavering commitment to team-based environment, and recognizes that leaders must be focused always on serving their people. For us in Huntington Beach, successful candidates must be genuinely committed to living our organization's behavioral values, which include:
- Humility... be willing to place the team before self.
- Exceptionality... be really (REALLY) good at what you do.
- Social Awareness... say and do those things that bring people together.
- Passion... recognize the awesome responsibility we have to serve the people of HB.
- Integrity... live our values authentically.
Outside of these behavioral characteristics, we're also looking for candidates who are ready to grow and develop and who can envision new ways to improve and enhance services. Finance Department
The Finance Department, through its four Divisions, provides financial management, oversight, monitoring and reporting functions for the City's complex financial resources. The department accomplishes this objective by providing budgetary oversight, monitoring and preparation; purchasing and procurement expertise; accounting and financial reporting services; cashiering, accounts receivable and collections services; payroll and accounts payable services; utility billing; and business license customer service. The Position
The Senior Finance Analyst
performs a variety of advanced professional-level accounting, budgetary, and financial analysis and reporting related to the City's financial functions and perform a broad range of related duties.
The Principal Finance Analyst
performs difficult and complex professional-level financial analysis requiring advanced knowledge and competency in various financial functions such as accounting, budgeting and financial planning; supervises the activities of assigned personnel and provides responsible staff assistance to the Finance Manager or Chief Financial Officer/Assistant Chief Financial Officer.
The current vacancies
are in the Budget Management Division and the Accounting Services Division. The Budget Management Division is responsible for assisting the City Council and Executive Management team in managing the City's resources, developing and maintaining the City's long-range financial projections, and evaluating the fiscal impact of legislative initiatives and judicial decisions affecting the City . Accounting Services is responsible for maintaining a system of internal controls that preserves and safeguards the City's assets and implementing new accounting requirements. This Division is also responsible for serving as the audit liaison for all departments and serves as the City's liaison for all financial audits of the City. Accounts Payable is responsible for the processing and payment of all City obligations. (Updated 11/14/23)
Examples of Essential Duties Senior Finance Analyst
Please click here to review the full job description.Principal Finance Analyst
- Perform complex financial calculations and analysis; prepare comprehensive financial studies, statements, and reports
- Prepare and analyze a variety of financial statements, schedules, and reports; ensures that financial statements are prepared on a timely basis in accordance with related governmental accounting regulations
- Assist in the development of accounting and audit control methods, systems and procedures to comply with accounting procedures, laws, ordinances and regulations; coordinate the preparation of external audit materials and assists auditors in the fiscal year review
- Assists in establishing parameters for revenue and expenditure estimates and makes recommendations for fiscal guidelines in the budgetary process; participates in the development of schedules, formats, policies, and procedures for the annual adopted budget
- Assists departments with the formulation, implementation and administration of capital and operating budgets
- Provides direction to department staff; serves as Finance Department liaison in directing and assisting department representatives with accounting, financial reporting and budget development, administration and implementation throughout the year to ensure adherence to established budget and financial parameters
- Monitors and reviews financial performance of City departments and projects by conducting budgetary, variance and fund analyses and preparing reports; reviews revenue and expenditures of departmental budgets and develops mitigation plans
Please click here to review the full job description.
- Performs professional tasks in support of the City's financial management operations; prepares a variety of complex analyses involving revenue and expenditures, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivables, budget, and treasury operations.
- Assigns, monitors and supervises the work of subordinate staff involved in performing accounting, budget, treasury, and financial analysis; participates in the selection and hiring of personnel; conducts performance evaluations and recommends merit step increases; assesses disciplinary action when needed; provides and/or recommends training
- Leads the preparation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of capital improvement plans and budgets; monitors and updates operating and capital budget adjustments and funding changes; reviews CIP requests for financial compliance
- Oversees the coordination of the master fee schedule
- Prepares and analyzes highly complex and sensitive budget requests, policy proposals, and financial reports, including reports regarding the City's long-term obligations, revenue forecasts and expenditure trends
- Assists in the preparation of a variety of complex financial analyses, forecasts, and reports, including the annual budget, Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) and the Popular Annual Financial Report (PAFR)
- Develops presentations to help summarize budget results, financial reports, forecasts and trends in a comprehensive and easy-to understand format
Minimum Qualifications Education:
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Economics, Finance, Business, Public Administration or other closely related field. A Master's degree, Certified Public Accountant (CPA), and/or Certified Government Financial Manager (CGFM) is desirable. Experience:
Senior Finance Analyst : Four (4) years' professional level experience performing complex governmental accounting, budgetary financial analysis and research including two (2) years' related finance and/or auditing experience for a municipality or other public sector entity.
Principal Finance Analyst : Four (4) years' increasingly responsible professional level governmental financial management, accounting, budgeting or auditing experience, with an emphasis in business and revenue operations activities, including one (1) year in a senior capacity or as supervisor of professional-level finance staff for a municipality or other public sector entity. Certificates/Licenses:
A valid California Class C driver license with an acceptable driving record required at time of appointment and during course of employment.
Supplemental Information APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
- Application Review
- Examination(s) - A virtual oral exam (weighted 100%) is tentatively scheduled for a date TBD (updated 11/14/23)
- Selection Interview
- Background Investigation