Culver City is a Charter City incorporated in 1917, and is a destination filled with outdoor cafes, unique shops and galleries opening onto pedestrian-friendly boulevards. Culver City has a dedicated staff of approximately 700+ employees with an overall operating budget of over $235 million. The City provides a full range of municipal services including Fire, Police, Community Development, Public Works, Parks, Recreation, and Community Services, and Transportation.
THE POSITIONReserve Fire Inspector **Please note this job posting may close without prior notice**
The role of the Reserve Fire Inspector is to assist the Fire Department, under the direct supervision of a fire inspector, in a variety of tasks including: Office Responsibilties:
- Provide public assistance on the telephone and at the public counter to developers, architects and property owners by providing information related to procedures and policies for fire prevention permits.
- Accept and route plan check applications.
- Issue permits, collect fees, file and/or route plans and applications to City departments and staff.
- Assist with the processing and tracking of invoices relating to monthly fire inspection fees.
- Assist with the follow up on OTC’s (Orders to Comply) issued by fire companies or Community Risk Reduction personnel.
- Assist with receiving calls, gathering information, and investigating complaints for reported fire hazards.
- Provide administrative support to the Community Risk Reduction office including assisting with public records requests, fire incident report requests, various memos, correspondence, reports and documents.
- Assist with inspections of schools, convalescent homes, churches, hospitals, city buildings, day cares, brush clearance, Title 19 compliance, residential fire sprinklers, commercial fire alarm/sprinkler systems, spray booths, and various components of fire-related systems.
- Assist with filming permits and studio lot inspections.
- Assist with public education events and activities.
Reserve Fire Inspectors will be expected to commit to one year of service. The schedule for this program is one 8 hour shift per week. Each Reserve Fire Inspector will be assigned the same day each week. The option of making trades to cover a shift will be available. The Reserve Fire inspector Program is an unpaid volunteer program with the Fire Department. Minimum Requirements
- At least 18 years of age & high school diploma or GED
- Valid CA Driver’s license
- Completed City application
- Must be able to work at least one 8-hour shift per week
- Adhere to the Department's Uniform and Grooming Standards
The selection process will consist of an application review and an oral interview. If selected to participate in the program, you will be required to pass a background investigation. Selected members will be expected to obtain required vaccinations and supply their own uniforms.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION The provisions of this job posting do not constitute a contract, express or implied, and any provisions in this posting may be modified or revoked without notice.
Continuation in the examination process and subsequent placement on the eligible list of a person convicted of a crime depends upon the nature of the conviction and the conduct of the applicant subsequent to the offense. Convictions will be evaluated on a job-related basis and will not automatically disqualify someone from further consideration. Equal Opportunity Employer.
The City of Culver City is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, veteran status, national origin, religion, political affiliation, or sexual orientation/identification. Conditions of Employment:
- Background/ Reference Check: Upon a conditional job offer, a live scan finger printing must be completed with acceptable results. Your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI). Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City. If you are selected as a finalist, you will be contacted to schedule a fingerprinting appointment. Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
- Pre-placement medical evaluation including drug screen (select positions).
E-Verify: Proof of U.S. citizenship, alien residency or authorization to work in the U.S. will be required at time of appointment. The City of Culver City intends to provide reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If a special accommodation is desired, please contact the Human Resources Department three (3) business days prior to the test at (310) 253-5640.
There are no benefits associated with this position other than those required by law.