CAREER DESCRIPTIONMEDICAL ASSISTANT
Effective June 28, 2024 - 4.25% increase
Effective June 27, 2025 - 4.00% increase Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization. Premium Pay
In addition to the hourly salary, eligible applicants may receive premium pay for the item listed below:
- Bilingual pay: Qualified employees who meet the criteria found ( page 12 ) shall receive an additional forty $0.40 cents per hour for all hours paid.
- Holiday Pay: Twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
- Education Reimbursement: Eligible employees are qualified for up to $10,000 per fiscal year of pre-approved educational reimbursement ( page 7 0 ) . The reimbursement program may also be used for related licensure or certifications, subject to approval.
This recruitment is open to the public for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59p.m. (PST)
on the day the County's needs are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
The eligible list established through this recruitment will be used to fill current and future Medical Assistant positions. This eligible list may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange. HEALTH CARE AGENCY
The County of Orange , Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the leadership of the Agency Director, a dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of five (5) service areas - Strategy and Special Projects, Mental Health and Recovery Services, Correctional Health Services, Medical Health Services and Public Health Services - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community. THE DEPARTMENT
Through assessment, policy development and assurance, Public Health Services
provides a wide range of services aimed at reducing death and disability by reducing the transmission of communicable diseases, preventing and lessening the impact of chronic diseases, and ensuring healthy and safe environments. THE PROGRAMS Family Health
Clinic (FHC) promotes the health and well-being of all infants, children, parents, and families in Orange County. Family Health includes the family health and dental clinics. The Family Health Clinic consists of the following services: Child Health :
P hysical exams to eligible infants, children, and adolescents including treatment of minor illness. Family Planning
: Reproductive Health services provided for eligible women and men including initiation and management of various methods of contraception, preventive services, health education, and counseling. Immunizations :
I mmunizations are available for eligible infants, children, and adolescents. Seasonal Influenza (Flu) vaccine is available to eligible County residents. Immunizations for adults and travelers are available on a fee for service basis. Pulmonary Disease Services (PDS) Program
has one full-service clinic in Santa Ana for TB screening, diagnosis and treatment. Orange County TB Control provides diagnosis, treatment and case management for residents with active TB disease. It provides screening services and treatment of latent TB infection (LTBI) for those who are at highest risk for progression from LTBI to active TB disease.17th Street Testing, Treatment and Care (TTC) Clinic
is a co-located Sexually Transmitted Diseases Clinic and a HIV Ambulatory Care Clinic. TTC provides high quality STD and HIV services including medical care, case management, HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), HIV Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP), Rapid Antiretroviral Therapy (Rapid ART), AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), information & education on STD and HIV care, Ryan White eligibility screening, HIV partner services and treatment adherence.THE OPPORTUNITY
Under the direct supervision of a clinician, nurse practitioner, or registered nurse, The Medical Assistant duties include, but are not limited to the following:
Candidates must attach to their application a current and valid Medical Assistant Certification by an institution or instructor authorized to provide Medical Assistant training pursuant to the standards established by the California Division of Licensing. This position also requires a valid certification as phlebotomist or certificate of completion of the course requirements for venipuncture and skin puncture and a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) - AHA healthcare provider card, by date of appointment. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
- Administers tests, treatments, medications/vaccines, TB skin tests, and performs venipuncture as prescribed by clinicians
- Explains and obtains necessary consents for treatments and care
- Organizes and maintains patient charts and electronic medical records
- Prepares patients for examination by taking vital signs, height and weight measurements; perform Snellen exams, hearing testing, pregnancy screening, and other data collection as needed
- Takes complete patient history including present illness, past medical history, and family and social history
- Reviews immunization records and utilizes the California Immunization Registry (CAIR)
- Prepares exam rooms
- Performs front office duties such as register patients, prepare charts, verify eligibility, schedule patient appointments, and other clerical duties as needed
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies:Professional and Technical Expertise
- Administering vaccinations, TB skin test, medication administration, and phlebotomy
- Knowledge of Child Health Disability and Prevention (CHDP) Program and/or Family Planning Access, Care, and Treatment (Family PACT) Program
- Understanding Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines to protect client's confidential and sensitive healthcare information
- Utilizing computer and Electronic Health Records (EHR) systems
Oral and Written Communication
- Delivering quality client-centered care and services and advocate for clients
- Respecting background diversity when working with patient
- Effective interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with patients and staff, maintain a calm demeanor during stressful encounters
Self-Management | Personal Effectiveness
- Communicating effectively and clearly both verbally and in writing
- Reporting relevant medical information to nursing and medical staff efficiently
- Providing effective customer service when communicating in person or on the phone
- Functioning independently and in accordance with established protocols
- Providing service in a fast-paced ambulatory care clinic
- Effective time management skills and strong organizational skills
to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the Medical Assistant classification as well as the physical & mental requirements and the environmental conditions. RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Veterans Employment Preference Policy (VEPP)
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here
to review the policy.Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer):
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Application Appraisal | HR Review Rating (Weighted 100%):
An Application Appraisal conducted by HRS will thoroughly screen and evaluate all application materials for job knowledge, competencies, and related experience described above. Only the most qualified applicants will be placed on the eligible list. Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedures. Eligible List:
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID-19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with all applicable State or County Public Health Orders, some of which require vaccination and boosting as follows:
- Workers, who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or in a correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and boosted in accordance with applicable state orders . (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason)
- In addition, depending on assignment and COVID-19 Community Level, workers in certain high-risk settings may be required to wear masks regardless of vaccination status.
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Public Health Orders. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position. EMAIL NOTIFICATION:
Email is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account. NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com . FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Liza Butler at (714) 834-2069 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
EEO INFORMATIONOrange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
In addition to the County's standard suite of benefits, such as a variety of health plan options, annual leave and paid holidays--we also offer an excellent array of benefits such as a Health Care Reimbursement Account, 457 Defined Contribution Plan and Annual Education and Professional Reimbursement. Employees are provided a Retirement Plan through the Orange County Employees Retirement System (OCERS).
Please go to the following link to find out more about Defined Benefit Pensions and OCERS Plan Types/Benefits.
Click here for information about benefits offered to County of Orange employees.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous