Position/Program InformationEXAM NUMBER:
PH5350E FILING DATE :
Tuesday, October 17 , 2023 at 8:30 a.m. Pacific Time (PT)TYPE OF RECRUITMENT:
Open Competitive Job Opportunity
No out-of-class experience will be accepted.This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. DEFINITION:
Determines medical eligibility of children referred to California Children Services and approves and coordinates treatment services for children accepted under the program.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS:
The positions allocable to this class are responsible for evaluating referrals and requests for diagnostic and/or treatment services available to children who suffer from an injury or illness which may be eligible for treatment under the guidelines established by California Children Services, and for managing a load of continuing cases to ensure that treatment plans are implemented with services being rendered to clients. Guides specify the wide range of ailments eligible for services, but detailed conditions which must be satisfied prior to acceptance under the program fluctuate or conditions are stated in general terms requiring incumbent to exercise discretion based on an evaluation of the facts surrounding the case. Eligibility decisions are made based on these guides and on an analysis of the physician's diagnosis, prognosis, patient's social history and a determination as to whether the proposed treatment plan is appropriate for diagnosis and acceptable to the program. This class manages complex cases involving multiple diagnoses and requiring coordination of services provided by several specialties. Positions in this class are also responsible for reviewing the progress of continuing cases and making judgments as to whether maximum or allowable benefits have been reached. Positions receive administrative and technical guidance from a Supervising Medical Service Coordinator, CCS who is readily available for consultation on difficult cases.
Essential Job Functions
- Evaluates referrals and requests for medical service made by physicians, parents, teachers, social workers, nurses and various agencies, considering the impact of varied diagnoses of medical maladies affecting children, the treatment generally required for the ailments and the guidelines for service, and makes determinations of medical eligibility and the type and extent of care proposed for California Children Services.
- Approves requests by physicians for hospitalization of children, assisting in arrangements for hospitals not on approved list, and explains California Children Services regulations to physicians.
- Determines whether physician's specialty is appropriate to the patient's condition and whether physicians are on State's approved panel.
- Advises non-panel physicians on procedure for becoming approved.
- Refers patients to specific medical specialists who have been certified by the State Department of Health, California Children Services.
- Reviews medical reports and correspondence on assigned cases and coordinates the arrangements for approved medical services.
- Participates in case conferences to evaluate treatment proposals and to provide interpretations regarding application of California Children Service policies.Reviews and authorizes requests for medical equipment and authorizes dispensing of supplies such as drugs, appliances, braces and visiting nurse services.
- Determines medical eligibility of referrals for emergency hospitalization or diagnostic studies and expedites the processing of requests for treatment services requested over the telephone.
- Based on the physician's plan of treatment for the patient, the coordinator's knowledge and the program guides, determines the amount of time that will be allotted for hospitalization and has authority to approve an extension of time for eligible services rendered.
- Reviews each assigned case at least once yearly, requesting and evaluating current medical reports, and determines if medical services should be continued and orders closure when maximum benefits of treatment have been achieved.
- Interprets program to physicians, parents, teachers, social workers and to agencies and provides general information concerning medical eligibility requirements and procedures.
- Assists those not eligible in developing private or other plans for obtaining medical care.
- Attends meetings that update eligibility guidelines and spell out the general conditions under which they will operate.
- Reads professional journals and attends seminars and lectures to become informed on new developments relating to the function.
Two years' work experience as a registered nurse in case management* OR
two year's work experience as a registered nurse in a pediatric setting. *
Case management is a collaborative process of assessment, planning, facilitation, care coordination, evaluation, and advocacy for options and services to meet an individual's and family's comprehensive health needs through communication and available resources to promote quality, cost-effective outcomes. LICENSE(S) AND CERTIFICATE(S) REQUIRED:
1. A current active license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
- Applicants must ensure the License and Certification Section of the application is completed. Provide the title(s) of your required license and certificate, the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for the required license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
- The required license and/or certificate must be active and unrestricted or your application will not be accepted.
2. A current certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program.
- Applicants MUST attach a legible photocopy of the required BLS certification to their application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of application submission send to HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov . Applications submitted without the required evidence of BLS certification will be rejected.
3. California Class C Driver License.PHYSICAL CLASS:
Physical Class II - Light: This class includes administrative and clerical positions requiring light physical effort that may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit and some bending, stooping, or squatting. Considerable ambulation may be involved. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
Credit will be given to applicants who possess the following desirable qualifications:
- Additional years of experience beyond the selection requirements
Additional InformationEXAMINATION CONTENT:
This examination will consist of an Evaluation Experience based upon application information, desirable qualifications, and supplemental questionnaire at the time of filing, weighted 100%.Applicants must meet the Selection Requirements and must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be added on the Eligible Register.
Passing this examination and being added on the Eligible Register does not guarantee an offer of employment. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
The names of candidates receiving a passing score in the examination will be added to the Eligible Register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility. NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.
Complete applications will be processed on an as-received basis and promulgated to the Eligible Register accordingly. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The Eligible Register resulting from this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Public Health as they occur. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
Any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
__________________________________________________________________Application and Filing Information
Applications must be filed ONLINE ONLY. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, fax, or in person will NOT be accepted. Any required documents and/or additional information, if any, must be received with your application at the time of filing online or sent to HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission. Plan to submit your online application well in advance of the 5:00 p.m., (PT) deadline as you may be required to verify your email address. This only needs to be done once per email address, and if you already have a job seeker account on the County of Los Angeles Job Opportunities Website, you can verify at any time by logging in and following the prompts. This is to enhance the security of your online application and to ensure you do not enter an incorrect email address.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" button located on this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
Please make sure you put in the time and effort when filling out your application. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the Requirements as listed on this job bulletin. Fill out your application completely and correctly to receive full credit for any relevant education, training, and job experience you include. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job/position title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work and duties performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be REJECTED.
- Please note that ALL information supplied by applicants and included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made.
- Applications may be rejected at any stage of the examination and selection process.
- FALSIFICATION of any information may result in DISQUALIFICATION or RESCISSION OF APPOINTMENT.
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from Class Specification(s) and/or Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. In doing so your application will be dispositioned as INCOMPLETE and will not be accepted.
- Comments such as "SEE RESUME" or "SEE APPLICATION" will not be considered a valid response; therefore, using such statements will also result in your application being rejected as INCOMPLETE.
__________________________________________________________________ Computer and Internet Access at Public Libraries:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County. Check the website for updated information at: https://lacountylibrary.org/library-locator/ . Social Security Number:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number. Do Not Share User ID, Email, And Password:
All applicants must file their application online using their OWN user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. Fair Chance Employer:
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed. Equal Employment Opportunity:
It is the policy of the County of Los Angeles to provide equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons, regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability or any other characteristic protected by State or Federal law. All positions are open to qualified men and women pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act. The County will follow all of its obligations under State and Federal laws regarding the provision of reasonable accommodations to applicants. County of Los Angeles Employment Information:
The Employment Information document can be viewed by copying and pasting the URL http://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/dhr/247636_EmploymentInformation.pdf into a web browser search bar or click on the following link: County of Los Angeles Employment Information .Anti-Racism, Diversity, and Inclusion (ARDI):
The County of Los Angeles recognizes and affirms that all people are created equal and are entitled to all rights afforded by the Constitution of the United States. The Department of Human Resources is committed to promoting Anti-racism, Diversity, and Inclusion efforts to address the inequalities and disparities amongst race. We support the ARDI Strategic Plan and its goals by improving equality, diversity, and inclusion in recruitment, selection, and employment practices. Have any questions about anything listed above? Please contact us at:
Department Contact Name:
Exam Analyst Exam Number:
PH5350E Department Contact Phone :
(323) 659-6546 Department Contact E-mail:
HRExams@ph.lacounty.gov California Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922 ADA Coordinator Phone:
(323) 659-6546 Teletype Phone:
(800) 899-4099 Alternate Teletype Phone:
For detailed information, please click here
Closing Date/Time: Continuous