Job Characteristics ***PART-TIME JOB OPPORTUNITY*** PRESCHOOL AIDE/PRESCHOOL TEACHER
The City of Concord's Recreation Services Department is looking for a friendly, customer service-oriented team player to join our preschool team:
The Preschool Program:
- Preschool Aide: $15.99 - $18.54/hour with minimum one year of experience preferred.
- Preschool Teacher: $19.45 - $27.52/hour with one year or season of experience and 12 Early Childhood Education Credits
The City of Concord's Preschool Program has been serving the community for over 30 years with classes encouraging children to play, learn and grow in an age-appropriate setting. Through games, crafts, songs and activities, children develop social skills, friendships and memories that will last a lifetime. Our teachers are trained in early childhood development and are dedicated to helping children develop language and social skills in a safe and positive environment. You can take a virtual tour of our program by visiting the City's Youtube Channel here .What you will be doing:
The Preschool Aide p rovide a safe and creative environment for participants; e stablishes positive relationships with children, parents and staff; a ssists the teacher in duties performed to implement the program; a ctively participates in activities & trips; and g eneral housekeeping. All positions are part time, limited service.
The Preschool Program provides services for children ages 2-4. The Preschool Teacher may be assigned to a classroom in any age group within the program depending on the needs of the program. The Teacher will work with the classroom aide and lead in providing an early childhood program that prepares the children for kindergarten.
This position may work at one of two locations:
- Baldwin Preschool, 2790 Parkside Circle, Concord
- Centre Concord, 5298 Clayton Road, Concord
Incumbents must be able to work during the following days/hours:
- School Year Program (September-May)
- Monday through Friday
- 8:30 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. or 12:00 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- We follow MDUSD holiday schedule
Summer Program (June-August)
- Monday through Thursday
- 8:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Additional hours may be required for trainings and meetings We are looking for someone who:
- Enjoys working with preschool age children
- Possesses excellent customer service skills
- Is flexible, yet dependable
- Has strong social and communication skills
- Has the ability to work on short notice
- Embraces, promotes and is guided by the City's Mission, Vision and Values
Submit a completed City of Concord application and the required supplemental question responses, online at www.cityofconcord.org /jobs. All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated, and those candidates demonstrating the strongest qualifications for the position will be invited to interview. Successful candidates will be provided a conditional offer of employment and must clear DOJ livescan. Conviction History:
If you receive a conditional job offer, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you have received a conditional job offer. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with the City of Concord.
Examples of duties include, but are not limited toPreschool Aide
- Works directly with the Preschool Teacher to provide preschool programs for children
- Supervises and leads children, maintaining staff/child ratio
- Organizes and prepares activities for children
- Addresses behavior concerns in the classroom when necessary
- Greets patrons and participants and answers inquiries regarding programs
- Assists in organization, set-up, and clean-up of facility
- Cleans and disinfects frequently touched surfaces and materials throughout the program
- Organizes, prioritizes and follows up on assignments
- Maintains various forms, logs, and reports
- Attends meetings and training sessions
- Performs first aid and responds to emergencies; reports incidents and accidents
- Adheres to Department of Public Health guidelines
- Other duties, as directed by Recreation Coordinator, Recreation Program Aide, and/or Preschool Teacher
- Planning and implementing curriculum for classroom
- Providing appropriate learning experiences to include group and individual activities
- Providing and maintaining a safe, clean and healthy learning environment
- Establishing a positive relationship with children, parents and staff
- Supervising Teacher Aide in duties performed to implement program
- Being an active participant in class activities
- Using appropriate class management skills with the children
- Interacting with other teaching staff and administration as needed
- Attending scheduled meetings and trainings
- Conducting parent-teacher conferences as needed
- Other duties, as directed by Recreation Coordinator and/or Recreation Program Aide
Qualifications Ability to:
PRESCHOOL AIDE Education:
- Act as a role model by displaying positive and courteous behaviors that children will admire and want to emulate
- Maintain awareness of children’s needs
- Communicate effectively, tactfully, and positively, both verbally and in writing
- Be a strong team player and work both independently and as part of a work group
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships utilizing strong interpersonal skills
- Handle conflict, issues, and concerns with children and parents utilizing strong customer service skills
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic, be proactive, and learn quickly
- Make sound decisions within established guidelines and be a creative problem solver
- Observe safety principles and work in a safe manner
- Organize and prioritize a variety of tasks in an effective and timely manner, for self and others
- Learn and use new software programs
- Work outdoors in various weather conditions, including inclement weather
- Work flexible hours, including nights
- Occasionally lift, drag, and push files, paper, and equipment weighing 25 pounds or more
Satisfactory completion of high school or the equivalent. Experience:
A minimum of one year or season experience working with preschool age children preferred. Certification:
None required. Must successfully complete American Red Cross Standard First Aid and CPR/AED training at time of hire, if not already certified. PRESCHOOL TEACHER Education:
Twelve (12) Early Childhood Education units.Experience:
A minimum of one year or season of experience working with children in a preschool setting.Certification:
None required. Must successfully complete American Red Cross Standard First Aid and CPR/AED training at time of hire, if not already certified.
Must be able to clear TB test and fingerprint check. EEO/ADA:
The City of Concord is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant employer, committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants.
If you have a disability and require accommodations in the testing process, please contact Human Resources at 925-671-3308 or firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the final filing date. FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Angela Freitag, Recreation Program Coordinator, at 925-671-3118 or email@example.com.
This position is not eligible for benefits.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous