The Position The Board of Supervisors have authorized the following future salary increases:
5% on July 1, 2023
5% on July 1, 2024
5% on July 1, 2025 Bargaining Unit: Local 856 - LVN/Aides Unit
The Contra Costa County Health Services Department is accepting applications from Licensed Vocational Nurses who are interested in performing technical nursing duties.
In an inpatient setting, under the supervision of registered professional nurses, Licensed Vocational Nurses perform a wide range of patient care activities including general bedside nursing and patient hygiene, safety and comfort. They perform catheterizations, enemas, nasogastric tube insertions and irrigations; take and record vital signs and chart observations. They care for tracheotomy, jejunostomy, colostomy, and chest tubes. Licensed Vocational Nurses sign out and are responsible for controlled drugs, including narcotics, and under direction, prepare and administer medication subcutaneously, intramuscularly or orally. In some assignments, they may also adjust the flow rates of intravenous solutions containing no medications.
In an ambulatory care setting, Licensed Vocational Nurses perform general nursing care under the direction of a registered Nurse or a provider. They prepare and administer medications including immunizations subcutaneously, intramuscularly, orally or topically; sign out and are responsible for controlled drugs including narcotics. They are responsible for applying dressing, compresses and soaks; taking and recording vital signs; documenting patient observations and nursing activities in patient records; and performing discharge duties
To read the complete job description, please visit the website www.cccounty.us/hr
The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for six months.
- Gives general direct nursing care under direction of a Registered Nurse and/or provider
- Maintains patient personal hygiene, safety and comfort
- Performs catheterizations and enemas
- Under direction, prepares and administers medication subcutaneously, intramuscularly, topically or orally
- Signs out and is responsible for controlled drugs including narcotics
- Under direction gives colostomy care, including irrigations
- Applies dressings, compresses and soaks
- Under direction performs nasogastric tube insertions and irrigations
- Following training, participates on Code Blue and Behavioral Response Teams as required
- Takes and records temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiration
- Assists in administering the nursing process to patients, including data/information gathering and implementing individual patient care plans as directed by a Registered Nurse and/or provider
- Obtains specimens
- Performs, reports, and documents patient observations and nursing activities in patient/hospital records
- Under direction cares for tracheotomy, jejustomy and chest tubes
- Performs routine care and cleaning of hospital equipment
- Performs routine nursing duties including making beds and lifting, moving, bathing and feeding patients
- May assist and participate in occupational, physical and respiratory therapy programs
- Performs cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Assists the Registered Nurse in identifying patient family learning needs and implements appropriate measures
- After special training functions as a Monitor Nurse in the Telemetry Unit
- Participates in orientation and on-the-job training of assigned personnel
- May perform clerical duties on units and in clinics
- Provide and promote excellence in customer services for both internal and external customers
- Upon assignment and after obtaining special training and State certification, may perform specialized nursing tasks such as starting and/or superimposing intravenous solutions and adjusting flow rates and blood withdrawal in accordance with LVN scope of practice and Hospital Policy.
Minimum QualificationsLicense Required:
Candidates must possess and maintain throughout the duration of employment: current, valid and unrestricted license as a Licensed Vocational Nurse issued by the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians, California Department of Consumer Affairs.Experience:
No experience required.Certification:
Candidates must possess and maintain throughout the duration of employment: current, valid Basic Life Support (BLS) issued by the American Heart Association or CPR by the American Red Cross.Special Requirements:
As a condition of hiring, all positions:(a)
Must successfully pass a pharmacology test administered by the County.(b)
When assigned to Detention Facilities, must possess and maintain a Sheriff's Department clearance.Other Requirements:
A background investigation/fingerprint and/or physical exam may be required prior to the start of employment. A COMPLETED SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE IS REQUIRED AND YOU MUST ATTACH COPIES OF LICENSE & CERTIFICATIONS TO YOUR APPLICATION.
Selection Process1. Application Filing:
All applicants must apply on-line at www.cccounty.us/hr and submit the information as indicated on the job announcement by the final filing date. 2. Application Evaluation:
Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best-qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination. 3. Training and Experience Evaluation:
Consists of an evaluation of each candidate's relevant education, training and/or experience as presented on the application and supplemental questionnaire (Weighted 100%).
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with the Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.CONVICTION HISTORY
After you receive a conditional job offer, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you have received a conditional job offer. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with Contra Costa County. If you accept a conditional job offer, the Human Resources department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment. DISASTER SERVICE WORKER
All Contra Costa County employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law. Employment with the County requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is the policy of Contra Costa County to consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identify, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, or other protected category under the law.
To find more information on Benefits offered by Contra Costa County, please go to https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/1343/Employee-Benefits
Closing Date/Time: Continuous