Position Overview* This recruitment is currently limited to retired sworn police employees who are currently NV PERS retirees.
The City of Henderson is happy to announce a recruitment for the position of Critical Labor Shortage Corrections Officer.
Under general supervision, performs law enforcement duties related to detecting, preventing, and investigating crime and maintaining law and order; and performs related duties as required.Position Information:
- Retirees will be hired in the full-time Corrections Officer classification
- Assignment length: Critical Labor designation will expire February 28, 2026
- Assignment will be determined at the sole discretion of the Chief of Police
- Officers will be placed at Step 8 of the wage schedule and are only eligible for union negotiated CPI adjustments (no step increases will be given)
- Must successfully complete any required re-hire training within the timeframe as determined by the department
Please note: The salary, term of employment, and other benefits related to those employees hired under a critical labor shortage are subject to finalization of an MOU between the City and HPOA and approval by City Council at a future meeting.
Click here to familiarize yourself with the job and its physical requirements.
Minimum QualificationsIn order to be considered for the Critical Labor Shortage Corrections Officer position, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must have retired in the Nevada PERS system and have received their first Nevada PERS retirement benefit payment at the time of rehire
- Must have a current/active Nevada POST Category III certification
- No more than 60 months have lapsed since employment with a Police Department
Minimum Qualifications for an entry level Corrections Officer:
- Graduation from high school or the equivalent
- Possess and maintain a valid driver license. Upon hire, possess a Nevada or "border state" driver license under conditions defined by Nevada Revised Statute 483.035
- Must be a U.S. citizen by the time of application
- Must be at least 21 years of age by the time of application
- Must have no convictions for offenses greater than a misdemeanor. Must have no convictions for offenses of domestic violence
- Visual acuity must be correctable to 20/40 in one eye and 20/30 in both eyes
- Hearing must be 30 decibels or less for each ear
- Must pass a nationwide fingerprint-based record check, and a wants/warrants check
- Must complete Security Awareness and National Crime Information Center (NCIC)/Nevada Criminal Justice Information System (NCJIS) certification within six months of hire/transfer and be recertified every two years. Must maintain certifications in NCIC/NCJIS as a condition of continued employment
Required Documents/Assessment InformationDOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:
1) Completed Employment ApplicationASSESSMENT DATES:
Assessment process to be determined.
All applicants will be notified by email or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement.IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, you will be required to self-schedule through the City of Henderson online application system. Please check your email and/or text messages on a regular basis after submitting your application for complete instructions, which include where and when to report.
Information regarding the assessment and selection process for this position will be sent to candidates via email. All candidates who wish to be considered for this position will need to be in Henderson, Nevada, and make themselves available to participate in the testing process at any time on any of the dates listed in notification.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best-qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. The City will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. It is the responsibility of the candidate requiring accommodation to contact the Human Resources Department (preferably in writing) at the time of application.
IMPORTANT: Appointment is subject to the successful and timely completion of a post offer pre-employment background investigation, polygraph examination, medical/physical examination, drug and alcohol test. Please see the job description to view the physical requirements of the job. As part of the background investigation, all claims of education and experience made in the employment application process, as well as other information submitted, will be verified.
NOTE: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. The selection process should be completed within four (4) months of the closing date. Candidates may reapply when there is a vacancy and a posting to establish an eligibility list. Some candidates may be disqualified indefinitely due to the results of their background investigation.CITY OF HENDERSON, NEVADA
Police Officers Contract (HPOA)
The following does not apply to the Critical Labor Shortage positions. INSURANCE
- Health Insurance: Medical, Prescription, Dental, Vision.
- Employer paid Long Term Disability.
- Employer paid Term Life Insurance - $50,000 or one times annual salary, whichever is higher.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Medicare - Employee and City each pay 1.45%.
- Employer paid membership in the State of Nevada Public Employees Retirement System (PERS).
- No Social Security tax on employee's wages.
- Retirement Health Savings (RHS) program.
- Service based retiree health insurance subsidy.
PAID LEAVE Vacation
- The City provides a clothing and personal effects allowance for employees required to wear a uniform.
- Employee credited with 20 hours of annual leave at the end of the first six (6) months of employment. Annual leave will accrue from month 7 to month 12 at 3.33 hours per month (total 40 hours first year of employment).
- Accrued at 10 hours per month after first year through fifth year; 13.33 hours per month for the sixth through twelfth year; 16.67 hours per month upon completion of twelfth year and beyond.
- Accrued at one shift per month from date of hire.
- Three consecutive days of leave, with pay, per occurrence, to attend funeral for immediate family member; increased to one work week when funeral is held 400 statute miles or more from City of Henderson.
- 12 paid holidays per year.
- Two (2) floating holidays per year.
- Police Officers/Four Day, 10-hour day, 40-hour week.
- Corrections/Average 40-hour week with combination 12 hour days and 8 hour days.
- IRC 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- IRC 401A Deferred Compensation Plan (new/re-hired employees only)
- IRC125 Plan Flexible Benefits Plan
- Cancer/Catastrophic Illness, Accident, Short Term Disability Insurance
- Auto and Home Insurance
- 529 College Savings Plan
- Supplemental Term Life Insurance
- Legal Insurance
- Pet Insurance
- Identity and Credit Protection
- Employee Network Membership
Closing Date/Time: 4/30/2024 3:00 PM Pacific