The City of Riverside is recruiting for a dynamic and experienced Utilities Senior Water Engineer
to perform supervisory and/or professional water engineering work in the design, investigation and construction of water utility projects; and do related work as required within the Water Delivery division. There is currently one (1) vacancy in the Water Engineering Division and the eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for up to six (6) months.
Riverside is unique in that its engineering staff performs the design of many of its capital improvement projects. The successful candidate will join a talented team of designers and engineers responsible for the design of water utility capital improvement projects that include water distribution and transmission pipelines, booster stations, groundwater wells and other related facilities. This position offers the opportunity to excel within a team while providing a direct benefit to the community. Riverside has a track record of providing a stable and rewarding work environment, with many staff remaining in the workforce for decades.Recruitment BrochureUtilities Senior Water Engineer Salary Range*: $123,588.00 - $150,216.00 Annually
*Positions in this classification may be eligible to have salary increased to a maximum of fifteen percent beyond the regularly assigned top of the salary range for "outstanding performance", subject to City Manager approval.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs studies of technical, environmental, and economic feasibility, engineering field studies, and related studies pertaining to proposed and existing municipal facilities.
- Prepares contracts and specifications for engineering and construction services.
- Plans and performs their own work and completes special projects requiring engineering and technical ability as assigned.
- Provides background information and documentation for management consideration on various projects.
- Makes sound decisions on minor problems related to the work being performed based on established guidelines and principles and supervisor guidance.
- Complete special projects requiring advanced engineering and technical ability.
- Develop and update written directives for the department and for use by other employees to include engineering guidelines, standard material lists, standard specifications, and other technical and administrative policies and procedures as applicable.
- Research activities pertaining to water materials and engineering practices.
- Prepare and review economic, hydraulic and hydrogeologic analyses and project justification reports.
- Develop major engineering projects and other engineering projects with unique problems which have an important effect on major public works projects.
- Provide background information and documentation for management consideration on major projects and technical matters involving advanced engineering theories, concepts and principles.
- Perform complex studies of technical, environmental, and economic feasibility, engineering field studies, and related studies pertaining to proposed and existing system facility improvements.
- Plan own work and the work of others.
- Complete special projects that are frequently of long duration and complexity.
- Work with other engineering personnel with limited experience in an advisory or supervisory capacity.
- Make decisions independently on technical problems and methods related to the work being performed.
Qualifications Option I:
Education: A Bachelor's degree in civil or mechanical engineering from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Four years of experience in professional water engineering work comparable to that of an Utilities Assistant
Engineer in the City of Riverside.Option 2:
Education: A Bachelor's degree in a closely related area from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Five years of experience performing professional water utility or related engineering work comparable to that of an Utilities Assistant
Engineer in the City of Riverside.Necessary Special Requirements
Highly Desired Qualifications:
- Possession of an appropriate, valid class "C" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
- Registered in California as a Professional Engineer.
- Registered in California as a Professional Engineer in Civil Engineering.
- Ability to take conceptual planning level designs to bid-ready construction plans and specifications.
- Knowledge of industry standards and best practices in the design of water distribution pipelines and pumping stations.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD and Civil 3D/AEC.
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION: 1)
Completed Employment Application2)
Completed Supplemental Questionnaire FOR GENERAL INFORMATION ON COMPLETING YOUR ON-LINE APPLICATION, CLICK HERE: ( Application Guide).
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification. IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
Positions that require, or may require, a California Commercial Driver's License
are considered Safety Sensitive and are monitored by the U.S. Department of Transportation. Any candidate being considered for a Safety Sensitive position must submit authorization forms to the City immediately upon request to begin the pre-employment process.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/ physical examination . NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/ .
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.