POSITION OVERVIEW APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED FROM:
ALL PERSONS INTERESTEDJOB CLASSIFICATION:
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV) DIVISION:
INFRASTRUCTURE REPORTING LOCATION:
16930 JOHN F. KENNEDY BLVD. WORKDAYS & HOURS:
MONDAY - FRIDAY 8AM - 5PM*
*Subject to change DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The purpose of the Infrastructure Division is to manage the whole life cycle (planning, design, construction, commissioning, assessment of condition, modifying, replacing and decommissioning/disposal of physical and infrastructure Houston Airport System (HAS) assets consistent with environmental regulations and best management practices. In addition to the responsibilities related to physical assets, the Infrastructure Division manages the HAS portfolio of assets and resources, with a focused goal of improving project delivery to all Stakeholders. Overall, the Infrastructure Division's mission is to maintain and extend the effective life cycle of HAS's physical assets and replace them when it is no longer financially feasible to extend the life of these assets, or they no longer support required Airport mission requirements.
The Assistant Director will be responsible for Construction Management services associated with design, construction, commissioning, ORAT and closeout phases of complex terminals and other passenger handling facilities at Domestic and International Airports. They will serve as the Principal Point of Contact for construction management of all contracts associated with HAS Capital Development Projects, Terminal, Airside and Landside as part of the Infrastructure Program Management Delivery Team. The successful candidate will set and continually manage construction project and program expectations while delegating and managing deliverables with team members and stakeholders. The position will be responsible for overseeing the work of no less than 20 engineers, surveyors, inspectors, and rod persons, communicating their progress to senior management at regular intervals.
The Assistant Director will be responsible for the following:
- Review and affirm the Construction Management program and projects for HAS Capital Development program and initiatives.
- Complete an assessment of the overall Construction Management Initiatives. Provide a summary of the key performance indicators as well as a plan for managing and monitoring stakeholder engagement.
- Conduct a presentation to Senior Staff explaining service level agreements, i.e. PMSS contracts, for all Construction Management services.
- Develop Construction Management guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Manage construction assignments for every construction project, holding to approved scope, budget, schedule and quality.
- Provide overall management of the INF Construction Management Team during the design, construction, testing, acceptance and turnover of HAS Capital Development Initiatives.
- Review and affirm safety programs and procedures developed by the various contractors. Review and approve safety reports and practices of the contractors. Respond to safety issues and recommend corrective actions.
- Provide on-site leadership for the construction management team by building and motivating team members to meet project goals, and adhering to their responsibilities and project milestones. Prepare performance reviews, identify and provide opportunities for staff development, and other personnel matters.
- Review all project permitting efforts and documentation developed by the various contractors for compliance and completeness. Establish a tracking program to monitor permit application and receipt processes for each individual project to ensure the timeliness of permitting to support project milestones.
- Establish practices, templates, policies, tools and partnerships to expand and mature these capabilities for the organization.
- Develop and deliver progress reports, requirements documentation, briefings and presentations to various audiences, including program management delivery team, sponsors, the business community (i.e. Industry Day), the Director of Aviation and other internal and external key stakeholders.
- Achieve 90% on budget, on scope, on schedule and quality standards of all construction assignments at the project level.
There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions. MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a closely related field. EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Seven years of administrative experience are required, with at least three of those years in a managerial capacity.
A Master's degree may be substituted for two years of experience. LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
Valid driver's license and compliance with the City of Houston driving policy (A.P. 2-2). PREFERENCES
Preference will be given to applicants with:
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.** GENERAL INFORMATION SELECTION / SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
- Minimum ten (10) years of demonstrated experience in Construction Management on capital programs.
- Certified Construction Manager (CCM) certification
- > $250 million complex, multi-phase, capital projects; Project Management (PMI), Professional Engineer, Registered Architect for the State of Texas, Civil or Structural Engineer.
- At least 5 years of demonstrated experience in managing teams with or without direct reporting responsibilities.
- Demonstrable establishment of collaborative relationships with stakeholders involved delivery of construction, testing and turn-over of airport facilities (airport, community, and government).
- Demonstrated experience in the management of complex construction projects at large hub airports.
- Worked on complex, multi-phase, capital construction projects of $1 million or greater as Construction Manager.
- Demonstrated experience in managing multi-discipline teams.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing construction management protocols and guidelines.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering major capital construction projects successfully (on budget, on time, meeting safety and quality standards within approved scope).
- Knowledge of Earned Value metrics and understanding of project controls software such as Microsoft Project, Oracle P6 and other scheduling and estimating software.
- Aviation industry experience is a plus.
Department may administer skills assessment test. SAFETY IMPACT POSITION
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test. SALARY INFORMATION
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification. PAY GRADE 32 APPLICATION PROCEDURES Only online applications
will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov .
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (832/393-0453).
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832/393-0453). (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.EOE Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.