R8250I FIRST DAY OF FILING
March1, 2018 at 8:00 a.m. (PST)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service
are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job Opportunity FILING TYPE
Open Continuous DEFINITION
Participates in a structured on-the-job training assignment in preparation for successful progression into a specific occupational field.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS
Positions allocable to this class typically report to an assigned supervisor and/or mentor and receive both technical job training and guidance on workplace behavior, competencies, individual responsibilities, and development of occupational skill sets. Career Development Interns are assigned to assist experienced journey-level workers in crafts support on training assignments of typically 12 to 24 months which may vary in duration based on individual training requirements. During training, incumbents are expected to develop and demonstrate progressively increasing skills and independence of action as they gain experience and proficiency in their occupation. Career Development Intern assignments may be made on any shift in County departments having 24-hour responsibilities.
Essential Job Functions
In a training capacity and under supervision, participates in entry-level work in one of a variety of job assignments. These assignments may require incumbents to frequently lift objects over 25 pounds, often combined with bending, twisting, or working above ground on irregular surfaces.
- Assists a journey-level or other skilled craft worker in a variety of maintenance, repair, or construction work by furnishing and using simple tools, material and supplies.
- Assemble tools, supplies, materials, and equipment and assists in maintaining them in serviceable condition.
- Cleans work area machines and operates simple machines and equipment.
- Prepares simple reports or keeps maintenance records, and other routine non-complex duties in various craft trades and other occupations.
- Drives automotive equipment to and from work sites, as needed.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS SPECIALTY REQUIREMENTS:Foster Youth Program -
Current enrollment in, completion of, or current or past eligibility for the Department of Children and Family Services' Independent Living Program and/or Probation Department's Independent Living Program (ILP).Countywide YouthBridges Program* -
Identification as an At-Risk Youth by a County of Los Angeles authorized department, other local, State, or Federal agencies or schools; or by a bona fide non-profit organization whose mission includes fostering or enhancement of employment opportunities for at risk youth.Homeless Hiring Program* -
Individuals, who are homeless or formerly homeless as verified by bona fide participating agencies through the Department of Workforce Development, Aging and Community Services (WDACS), or have a Certificate of Completion from the Department of Public Social Services' WDACS' Los Angeles County Job Services' Job or Work Readiness Training Programs.Disability Hiring Program* -
Must possess an Individuals Facing Barriers to Employment Program certificate from the State Department of Rehabilitation (DOR). In order to receive a certificate, an individual must meet the following DOR criteria:
- Has a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that limits one or more major life activities;
- Has a record of history of such impairment or disability; or
- Is regarded as having such an impairment or disability.
(Applicants interested in obtaining the Department of Rehabilitation certification should contact Adrian Lazaro at (323) 720-4084 prior to a visit to their office).
Note: Some examinations may require applicants to meet specific age limitations at time of appointment.LICENSE
Some positions in this classification, depending upon assignment, require possession of a valid California Class C Driver License to perform job related essential functions. Candidates offered these positions would be required to show proof of a driver license before appointment. PHYSICAL CLASS
4 - Arduous: Involves frequent heavy lifting over 25 pounds, often combined with bending, twisting, or working on irregular surfaces; and occasionally requires extraordinary physical activity.
Career Development Interns who performarduous physical tasks as described in the Essential Job Functions will be required to pass a Class 4 - Arduous physical examination.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION *
In order to receive credit for the specialty program(s), you must attach proof of participation at the time of filing or within fifteen (15) calendar days from application submission . If you are unable to attach the required document(s), you must email to email@example.com . Please include the exam number and exam title.Please see below for more information:Countywide YouthBridges Program
- applicants will be required to upload a copy of verification of participation issued by County of Los Angeles authorized department, other local, State, or Federal Agencies or schools; or by a bona fide non-profit organization as verified by County of Los Angeles whose mission includes fostering or enhancement of employment opportunities for At-Risk Youth.Homeless Hiring Program
- applicants will be required to upload a copy of verification of participation issued by a bona fide participating agencies through WDACS whose mission includes fostering or enhancement of employment opportunities for Homeless or copy of certificate of completion from the Department of Public Social Services' or WDACS' Los Angeles Job Services' Job or Work Readiness Training Programs.Disability Hiring Program
- applicants will be required to upload a copy of certificate of Individuals Facing Barriers to Employment Program issued by DOR.
Applicants who have been previously appointed as a Career Development Intern, Crafts Support for more than 18 accumulative months will not be accepted.
Candidates under 18 must present a work permit at the time of appointment. Incumbents in positions that require driving must be at least 18 years of age. Some positions may require applicants to meet specific age limitations at time of appointment.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT
This examination will consist of a multiple choice test weighted 100% covering:
- Achievement, Collaboration, Compliance, Confidence, Reliability, Safety Judgment, and Safety Orientation.
MULTIPLE CHOICE TEST IS NOT REVIEWABLE BY CANDIDATES PER CIVIL SERVICE RULE 7.19 .
Applicants must meet theSpecialty Requirements and receive a passing score of 70% or higher onthe examination in order to be placed on the Eligible Register.
Please note: Invitation Letters for the multiple choice test may be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book and to thelist of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail.
Notice of Non-Acceptance and Final Result letter will be mailed via USPS. Multiple choice test score cannot be given over the telephone.TRANSFER OF SCORES
Applicants that have taken identical multiple choice test for other exams within the last (12) months will have their score automatically transferred to this examination.
Applicants who are also concurrently applying for CDI, Heavy Maintenance and Operational Support(R8250J)will take the identical multiple choice test one time only. The resulting score from this examinationwill be transferred to CDI, Heavy Maintenance and Operational Support(R8250J), if applied.
This examination contains test part that may be used in the future for newexaminations. Your score will be transferred to the new examination and may not be allowed to re-take any identical test part for at least 12 months.TEST PREPARATION
Test preparation resources are available to help candidates prepare for written employment test:
- Study guides and other test preparation resources are available to help candidates prepare for employment tests. An interactive, Online Test Preparation System for taking practice tests may be accessed on the Department of Human Resources website at http://hr.lacounty.gov/ . Please click on "Find a Job" and then "Job Search Toolkit." Test Preparation Information is located under the "Employment Test Assistance" section.
- You can also access test preparation for the computerized portion of the test by going to http://www.shldirect.com/practice_tests.html .
While these practice materials will help in preparing for the test, we advise you to review ALL related materials that you deem necessary.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be placed on the Eligible Register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.
Applications will be processed on an as-received basis and promulgate to the Eligible Register accordingly.VACANCY INFORMATION
The resulting eligible register will be used to fill vacancies in various Departments in the County of Los Angeles as they occur.APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION
Applications must be filed online only. We must receive your application and additional documents, if any, by 5:00 pm, PST, by the last day of filing. Applications submitted by U.S. Mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this web site.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you haveclearlyshown that you meet the Specialty Requirements . Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected.
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.
COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.
NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member'sor friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.
______________________________________________________________________________ADA Coordinator Email:
email@example.com Teletype Phone:
(800) 899-4099Alternate Teletype Phone:
(800) 897-0077California Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922Department Contact Name:
Janice MacamDepartment Contact Phone:
(213) 738-3579Department Contact Email: