CAREER DESCRIPTION PHARMACY TECHNICIAN
Correctional Health Services
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective June 28, 2024 - 4.25% increase
Effective June 27, 2025 - 4.00% increase
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization. Premium Pay
In addition to the hourly salary, eligible applicants may receive premium pay for the items listed below:
Other Additional Premium Pays OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
- Bilingual pay: Qualified employees who meet the criteria found ( page 18 ) shall receive an additional forty $0.40 cents per hour for all hours paid.
- Night Shift Differential pay: Employees assigned to a night shift shall be paid a night shift differential for each hour actually worked on the assigned night shift. Pay rate is determined by assigned shift hours found here (page 15).
This recruitment is being held to establish an Open Eligible List to fill current and future Pharmacy Technician
vacancies within Health Care Agency, Correctional Health Services. The eligible list established may also be used to fill similar classifications throughout the County of Orange. DEADLINE TO APPLY
This recruitment will remain open on a continuous basis for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 p.m. (PST) on the day the needs of the County are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. THE AGENCY
The Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family, and community health. Under the leadership of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of seven service areas - Administrative and Financial, Strategy and Special Projects, Mental Health and Recovery Services , Correctional Health, Office of Care Coordination, Medical Health and Public Health - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community. CORRECTIONAL HEALTH SERVICES
The Correctional Health Services (CHS)
program is comprised of two separate entities. One is for the adult inmates and the other is for the juveniles. The CHS program provides medical, dental, nursing, infection control, health education and pharmaceutical services at a community standard of care and provides mental health services including 24-hour emergency triage and crisis intervention, suicide prevention, treatment beds, individual and group therapy, substance use counseling, medication assessment and discharge planning to all adult inmates in the County's five (5) correctional facilities. The Juvenile Health Services program has two clinics-Juvenile Hall Health Clinic and Orangewood Family Health Clinic. JUVENILE HEALTH SERVICES Juvenile Health Services (JHS)
is a division of CHS. It provides medical, dental, nursing, infection control, health education and pharmaceutical services at a community standard of care to youth who reside in the County's four residential facilities operated by Probation and Social Services Departments and contracts with hospitals for inpatient and specialty care. THE OPPORTUNITY
The Pharmacy Technician will assist the on-site registered Pharmacist with dispensing prescription medications to customers or health professionals as ordered by the prescribers. The pharmacy is in the Main Jail facility in Santa provides medications to adult inmates in the five County jail facilities and to juveniles housed at Juvenile Hall and the Juvenile Camp sites. In addition, the pharmacy oversees the ordering of medications for the Orangewood Children and Family Center (OCFC).
Responsibilities of the Pharmacy Technician include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare daily patient medications utilizing the automated packaging machine
- Accurately fill prescriptions
- Fill and maintain nursing station automated dispensing cabinets
- Conduct monthly nursing unit medication inspections
- Maintain pharmacy inventory and order cost effective medication utilizing the Cardinal Health online system
- Maintain vaccine inventory for the Vaccines for Children program
- Maintain and coordinate the delivery and pick-up of medications with an outside courier transporting between facilities
- Prepare and submit purchase requisitions
- Prepare and submit service request forms to Storeroom for supplies and deliveries
- Prepare and submit monthly billing for United States Federal Marshal prisoners
- Maintain and update monthly pharmacy records and statistics
- Securely transport medications
The ideal candidate will have two (2) or more years of experience as a Pharmacy Technician in a hospital and/or retail pharmacy setting and will be certified through the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB). Additionally, the ideal candidate will possess the knowledge, skills and abilities that demonstrate the following competencies:Technical Knowledge | Technical Experience
Communication Skills | Oral, Written, and Interpersonal
- Thorough knowledge of policies and procedures in compliance with California State Board of Pharmacy
- Thorough knowledge of medication dosage forms, and ability to prepare, release and distribute medications and utilize the drug distribution system to ensure the safety, accuracy, and quality of supplied medications
- Thorough knowledge of trade and generic name of medications
- Knowledge of HIPAA guidelines to protect confidential and sensitive client healthcare information
- Knowledge of and ability to manage and control pharmaceutical supplies, stock, and related records, reports or files to ensure the safety, accuracy, quality, integrity and timeliness of medications and client's safety
- Expertise in filling prescriptions, processing, and billing of medications
- Expertise in inspection/inventory management systems or procedures to maintain proper storage and security conditions of medications
- Expertise in auditing to assess and resolve issues from the inventory shortage problems as they arise, and order medications from wholesalers such as Cardinal Health online system
- Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office Suite and other computer applications to prepare billing documents, record and retrieve pharmacy data
Critical Thinking | Problem Solving /Decision Making
- Communicating effectively both in person and in writing
- Experience preparing clear and concise pharmacy records and statistics
- Ability to review patient records and collaborate with Pharmacist for medication selection decisions
- Ability to communicate clearly and thoroughly in discussing pharmacy decisions to other healthcare staff
- Thorough knowledge of grammar, spelling and pharmaceutical terminology
- Ability to maintain a calm and professional manner in stressful situations
- Ability to evaluate quality control precautions and prevent occurrences of faulty medication dispensation
- Ability to identify systematic problems in medication misuse
- Ability to assess basic pharmacy situations, apply policies and procedures and take appropriate action
- Ability to navigate general jail systems, policies, and procedures
- Ability to respond quickly to emergencies throughout all jail facilities
- Ability to learn and apply jail security policies and seek consultations with supervisor in unexpected or unfamiliar situations
- Incumbents are required to pass a comprehensive background investigation prior to a formal offer and acceptance of employment. Incumbents must maintain Sheriff's Department or Probation Department security clearance for the facilities where they work.
- Applicants must have no felony convictions or be on any form of probation.
- Must be able to pass and maintain background investigation to the satisfaction of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner. Background screening includes completing of a Personal History Form, interviewing with a background investigator, fingerprinting and may include a polygraph test. Some of the areas considered in the background screening include prior convictions, traffic violations, drug use and credit problems, employment history, professional references, and education verification (i.e., degree, license, or official transcripts. Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (N.A.C.E.S.).
- The Correctional and Probation facilities operate 24 hour, 7 days a week, incumbents may be asked to work on weekends, evenings or night shift and holidays
Please click here
for the minimum qualifications for the Pharmacy Technician classification as well as the physical characteristics and mental requirements, environmental and working conditions. . RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
Human Resource Services (HRS) screens all application materials for minimum and desirable qualifications. After screening, candidates who meet the minimum and desirable qualifications will be referred to the next step in the recruitment process.Application Screening| (Refer/Non-Refer):
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those candidates that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Online Assessment | Technical Skill Assessment (Weighted 100%):
Qualified candidates will be invited to participate in a job-related assessment. Candidates will be notified of their date and access code, if applicable. Only the more qualified candidates will be placed on the eligible list.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.Eligible List
| Score Groups
: Once all assessments have been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here to review the policy.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Please see below for important information regarding COVID 19 related requirements.
Effective April 3, 2023, it is strongly recommended that County employees working in health care settings and correctional facilities follow vaccination and booster guidelines provided by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Please click here to see the latest guidance for more details. EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com . FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Click here for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Claudia Curiel at(714) 834-2335 or CCuriel@ochca.com .
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
In addition to the County's standard suite of benefits, such as a variety of health plan options, annual leave and paid holidays--we also offer an excellent array of benefits such as a Health Care Reimbursement Account, 457 Defined Contribution Plan and Annual Education and Professional Reimbursement. Employees are provided a Retirement Plan through the Orange County Employees Retirement System (OCERS).
Please go to the following link to find out more about Defined Benefit Pensions and OCERS Plan Types/Benefits.
Click here for information about benefits offered to County of Orange employees.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous