Position/Program Information FILING START DATE:
04/27/2016 AT 8:00 A.M.
THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REPOSTING TO ADD SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice EXAM NUMBER
TYPE OF RECRUITMENT Open Competitive Job Opportunity
Open Continuous DEFINITION
Actively participates with professional staff members in the delivery of mental health services or the delivery of indirect and direct patient care to clients who are mentally ill or emotionally disturbed.CLASSIFICATION STANDARDS
Positions allocable to this journey-level class work in mental health facilities or special treatment programs of the Department of Mental Health or in hospitals and clinics of the Department of Health Services. Incumbents work under the supervision of a mental health clinical program manager, a psychiatrist or other licensed physician, a psychologist, or at the direction of a rehabilitation therapist, social worker, or registered nurse,
and participate in the control, evaluation and treatment of clients.
Essential Job Functions
- Observes, evaluates, records and reports to professional staff changes in client's condition.
- Provides direct and indirect patient care including helping clients with personal hygiene such as bathing and personal grooming.
- Takes and records measures of the client's physical condition such as pulse, temperature, respiration, weight, and body mass index.
- Prepares appropriate forms in connection with emergency calls, evaluation of the client's condition, and maintenance of the client's records.
- Implements de-escalation procedures and techniques and aids or restrains clients to prevent injury to themselves or others.
- Participates in planning, executing, and documenting interventions related to the client care plan.
- Participates in multi-disciplinary team conferences to share pertinent client information and collaborate with other mental health staff to develop and manage an effective treatment plan.
- Within scope-of-practice guidelines, provides direct client care, completes required documentation, updates treatment team regarding client progress, and provides client, family members and significant others with referrals and linkage to community resources.
- Provides and documents mental health services to mentally ill or emotionally disturbed clients as a member of a Psychiatric Mobile Response Team, Clinical Behavioral Management Response Team, Homeless Outreach and Engagement Team,crisis intervention team, or therapeutic team at an outpatient or inpatient facility.
- Administers, either orally or by injection,prescribed medications to clients inacute psychiatric settings.
- Serves as mental health service gatekeeper at the mental health ACCESS and Telecommunication Center, performing triage on caller requests for service, referring caller to an appropriate treatment source, and/or dispatching a mobile response team or an ambulance.
- Contacts ambulance companies when ambulance transport is requested through ACCESS Center or collaboration with directly operated clinics.
- Prepares and signs the application for immediate 72-hour detention of disturbed psychiatric clients if Lanterman-Petris-Short (LPS)designated by the Office of Medical Director, as needed.
- Coordinates all activities of the Psychiatric Mobile Response Team and Clinical Behavioral Management Response Team, including staff coverage and coordination of team services with law enforcement agencies, as neeeded.
One year of experience*
assisting mental health professionals in the delivery of preventative, therapeutic and rehabilitative psychiatric services to emotionally disturbed or mentally ill clients at the level of Psychiatric Technician I**.PHYSICAL CLASS4 - Arduous.
Involves frequent heavy lifting over 25 pounds, often combined with bending, twisting, or working on irregular surfaces; and occasionally requires extraordinary physical activity.LICENSE(S) REQUIRED
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION*
- A valid California State License to practice as a Psychiatric Technician.***
- Some positions in this classification, depending upon assignment, require possession of a valid California Class C Driver License to perform job-related essential functions. Candidates offered these positions will be required to show proof of a valid driver license before appointment****.
- ** Experience at the level of Psychiatric Technician I in the service of Los Angeles County is defined as assisting professional staff members in the delivery of mental health services or the delivery of indirect and direct patient care to clients who are mentally ill or emotionally disturbed.
- *** A copy of a valid California State License to practice as Psychiatric Technician MUST be attached to the application at the time of filing. Applications submitted without the required copy of licensure will be considered as incomplete until such information is provided. Original license must be presented at the time of appointment.
- **** Successful applicants for this position who will be required to drive will be required to obtain a copy of his/her driving record from the California State Department of Motor Vehicles before being appointed. Applicant's License must not be suspended, restricted or revoked, or have more than four moving violations within the last two years. This information will be verified at the time of appointment.
Experience is evaluated on the basis of a verifiable 40-hour workweek. Work performed part-time will be prorated on a month-for-month basis.
Additional InformationEXAMINATION CONTENT
This examination will consist of an evaluation of training and experience based on application information weighted 100%.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher in order to be placed on the eligible register.ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION
Applications will be processed on an "as-received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade in the examination will be placed on the eligible register in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.
Retake: No person may compete for this examination more than once in a twelve (12) month period.SPECIAL INFORMATION
Past and present mental health clients and family members are encouraged to apply. AVAILABLE SHIFT
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. VACANCY INFORMATION
The eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Mental Health.APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION
Applicants are required to complete and submit an online Los Angeles County Employment Application in order to be considered for this examination. Paper applications, resumes, or any unsolicited documents will not be accepted in lieu of completing the online application.
This examination will remain open until the need of the services are met and is subject to closure without prior notice. Applicants must submit their applications by 5:00 pm, Pacific Standard Time (PST), on the last day of filing.INSTRUCTIONS FOR FILING ONLINE
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting.
Applicants must complete and submit their online applications and upload required documents (e.g. License, Resume, Official Transcripts, etc.) as attachment(s) during application submission, or send by email to email@example.com within 15 calendar days from date of application submission. Indicate the Exam Title on the subject line when sending required documents by email.
The acceptance of your application will depend on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the Selection Requirements. Utilizing verbiage from bulletin, class specifications, and selection requirements serving as your description of duties will not be sufficient to meet requirements. Doing so may result in an incomplete application and you may be disqualified . Your online application must show complete license, education and work experience information necessary to evaluate your qualifications. License information section must show title of license, license number, original date of issue, and expiration date. Education information section must include name and address of school attended, complete dates attended, name of course/s taken, number of units earned, and degree/s earned. Work experience section must include job title, employer name and address, name of work area/facility, actual payroll title held and not the working and/or functional titles, from/to dates of employment including month, day and year, total number of months, total number of hours worked per week - not a range of hours (full or part-time), complete and detailed description of related job duties. If range of hours is provided, experience will be prorated based on the lowest number of hours worked per week. List each job experience separately.
All information is subject to verification . Applications may be rejected at any stage of the selection process.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER LANGUAGE
All applicants must enter a valid social security number at the time of filing. Entering anything other than a valid social security number (i.e. 000-00-0000, 111-11-1111, etc.) will result in an automatic rejection of your application.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT LIBRARIES
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING USER ID AND PASSWORD
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.DEPARTMENT CONTACT
Department Contact Name: Irene San, Exam Analyst
Department Contact Phone: (323) 705-4113 or (323) 705-4074
Department Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ADA Coordinator Phone:
(323) 705-4113 Teletype Phone:
800-735-2922California Relay Services Phone:
For detailed information, please click here